JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a FAL, did you see the few good FAL deals at the show?

-- not alot of info, lol.

DSA is the only current makers of FAL clones currently I believe, the price has gone up a bit on them tho. The best deal is to find a used IMBEL reciever FAL, be sure to stay far away from the L1A1s. Also there are some original FN FALs floating around.

Get a FAL, did you see the few good FAL deals at the show?

Not really, why do you prefer the FAL? I'm just comparing the two.
From what I've heard...
The FAL is better with ammo, as it's gas mechanism can be regulated.
The FAL has cheaper magazines.
The FAL is lighter, and won't warp and have a wondering zero like the M1A, although with a replacement stock this doesn't matter with the M1A.
The FAL has seen much more combat use than the M14 series weapons.
The M1A is more accurate, typically 4" groups instead of 6" groups, etc...
The M1A can accept the EBR stock, which is more than excellent.
The M1A seems to accept more modern accessories and modifications.
The M1A is better suited as a force multiplier role, such as a DMR - as apposed to the FAL being a battle rifle.

Does anybody have any information regarding a comparison between these two with mud tests. I mean, really, nasty dirty abuse tests like those sig 551 tests I posted a while back. Although I would purchase a 551, I'm looking for .308, without question.

all great reasons, pretty much the same reasons for me. Well other than that the FAL has a pistol grip, and just feels more solid to me.

There is a comparison of a G3, FAL, and M1A somewhere....

oh at the show there was an original FN FAL for 2200, someone was walking around with a great condition Imbel for $700, I saw a few other misc used ones around too. Somebody wanted 1800-2000 for new DSAs, which isnt a great price.

Not really, why do you prefer the FAL? I'm just comparing the two.
From what I've heard...
The FAL is better with ammo, as it's gas mechanism can be regulated.
The FAL has cheaper magazines.
The FAL is lighter, and won't warp and have a wondering zero like the M1A, although with a replacement stock this doesn't matter with the M1A.
The FAL has seen much more combat use than the M14 series weapons.
The M1A is more accurate, typically 4" groups instead of 6" groups, etc...
The M1A can accept the EBR stock, which is more than excellent.
The M1A seems to accept more modern accessories and modifications.
The M1A is better suited as a force multiplier role, such as a DMR - as apposed to the FAL being a battle rifle.

Does anybody have any information regarding a comparison between these two with mud tests. I mean, really, nasty dirty abuse tests like those sig 551 tests I posted a while back. Although I would purchase a 551, I'm looking for .308, without question.

Yea, I've read many reviews comparing the three weapons. I like the HK91 and G3 on paper, but in my hands it feels like I'm holding a long pipe, way front heavy. Ever since I was 13 and played airsoft, holding one of those was akward. It's like when you're a kid and you play rifle with a broom stick.

Also, the HK91s are better for a collector, unless you get a replica.
I guess I've concluded that it's not an option for me, as much as I think it's an excellent weapon system.

Forgot to mention, this guy words it much better than me, as he's obviously more familiar with it. Anyways, taken from an M1A vs FAL comparison...

"Probably one of the main and important features of its design ( and very often overlooked ) is the use not only of a gas piston, but of an soldier-adjustable gas valve that coupled with an on/off gas-plug can make it a rifle of high accuracy, close to a bolt-action.

I regularly download my loads, close the gas-plug and shot in "manual" mode.

Results are awesome.
"

I have a Franken L1A1 from Century.... it is newer because it doesn't have the forbidden Hesse receiver. It goes bang everytime and the adjustable gas makes the recoil barely noticeable, my AR has more noticeable recoil. I'd say if the price is right get the FAL, and vs. the M1A you'll still save $$$ if you get an Imbel.

FOR A MUD TEST, GO OVER TO

www.gunpartsguy.com

AND ASK HIM FOR THE LINK TO 'OLD UGLY' OR 'OL RELIABLE' OR SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES, HE USED TO HAVE THE LINK ON HIS HOME PAGE...REAL TORTURE TEST ON THE FAL, THEY BURIED THE THING IN MUD AND SAND AND SHOT IT AND NEVER CLEANED IT FOR SOME REMARKABLE AMOUNT OF TIME...IF YOU CALL HIM, HE'LL REMEMBER THE TEST AND PROBABLY KNOWS THE LINK OFF THE TOP OF HIS HEAD....

GUNPARTSGUY IS JUST A SUPER FELLOW, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL STAKE IN THIS, BUT HE IS A GOOD FRIEND, AND MANAGES TO MAKE THE LITTLE LOCAL SHOW EVERY NOW AND THEN........TELL HIM CARLOS DE LA CAPLOCK SENT YA.....AND DON'T BELIEVE ANY STORIES HE TELLS ABOUT ME...UNLESS THEY ARE MEAN AND VICIOUS..........
--CARLOS

As helpful as you are, it would be nice if you didn't use all caps.

I'll give him a call, I'd like to see that test. Thanks-

FOR A MUD TEST, GO OVER TO

www.gunpartsguy.com

AND ASK HIM FOR THE LINK TO 'OLD UGLY' OR 'OL RELIABLE' OR SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES, HE USED TO HAVE THE LINK ON HIS HOME PAGE...REAL TORTURE TEST ON THE FAL, THEY BURIED THE THING IN MUD AND SAND AND SHOT IT AND NEVER CLEANED IT FOR SOME REMARKABLE AMOUNT OF TIME...IF YOU CALL HIM, HE'LL REMEMBER THE TEST AND PROBABLY KNOWS THE LINK OFF THE TOP OF HIS HEAD....

GUNPARTSGUY IS JUST A SUPER FELLOW, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL STAKE IN THIS, BUT HE IS A GOOD FRIEND, AND MANAGES TO MAKE THE LITTLE LOCAL SHOW EVERY NOW AND THEN........TELL HIM CARLOS DE LA CAPLOCK SENT YA.....AND DON'T BELIEVE ANY STORIES HE TELLS ABOUT ME...UNLESS THEY ARE MEAN AND VICIOUS..........
--CARLOS

Koolness, i beat the filter again????

That'll tick joey off!!!!

My computer-fu is awesome!!!!

Must be good kharma for giving gunpartsguy a plug...........

I just turned him onto this forum last night, he'll probably show up soon...

At the risk of incurring joey's wrath(seriously) this time, gunpartsguy is a great source of fal parts and accessories(kits too), and local(right here in vancouverland, usa).....ok, end of (semi) commercial......
--carlos

I have a DSA Fal for sale

dsa and carbon 15.jpg

Last Edited:
I picked up a FAL around Christmas, probably overpaid, 1250 for an imbel receiver with Steyr STG58 20" barrel and the DSA rail dustcover. Took it to the range last weekend and it is a riot! Much lighter recoil than I had expected. After looking through my brass I definitely need to turn the gas down, not sure why the seller had it so high, the extractor was bending the rim.

I'm still trying to figure out the iron sights, any tips? I put 5 rounds in 4 or 5" at 50yd, admittedly not amazing, but not bad for my first time out with it. Looking into a scope for it now. Probably a Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36 as a buddy can hookup the employee pricing, I figure that ought to be about right for 50-300yd. The aug clone is w/eotech is for CQB.

If you don't have a FAL, get one. After seeing those pics of old dirty I was sold!

I'd go for a FAL. I have two. Both were built from STG58 parts kits. One on an Enterprise receiver built by Enterprise, and the second one was on an Imbel receiver built by Arizona Response Systems. 100% reliable so far, and very easy to work on. I changed out the hammer, trigger, and sear on the Enterprise in about 30 seconds. Plus, I like the adjustable gas system and the cheap mags. I also have 2 PTR 91s, but the gun I would grab going out the door is the FAL.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top