Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

FAL owners I have questions

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by parsons_12b, Oct 21, 2009.

1. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a para FAL the only hang up I have is the cost of 308. Are there any budget brands ie; Wolf, Brown Bear, Barnual, or any others that work well in this platform.

Thanks for the input
    J.P.

2. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

========================================
    My buddy shoots a lot of African .308 and it works great through his.

3. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I have looked at the South African but it is almost all dried up.

4. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

You might want to post at FALfiles to find out people's experience. I don't shoot the steel jacketed, but that's based on my presumptions rather than experience.

BuyAmmo.com does have reloaded .308 that works fine at about .50 a round. They are in Salem.

I will say...you won't shoot as much .308 as you will 5.56 or 7.62x39mm...I know I don't! I love my FAL's because its gets me more to become a rifleman rather than a spray and pray shooter!

I'm looking into reloading .308 as you can save significant dollars that way.

5. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you are a reloader, 308 componets are still available and make for fine shooting

6. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

South African, .308 battle packs are what I've been shooting. Federal American eagle works great. Handloads work great. Never had any problaems with any ammo I've shot. Never shot any steel cased stuff though, like wolf or barnaul. I tend to stay away from steel cased stuff. Fal can probably handle it. I've just never liked it.

7. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

One good thing about steel cases is that the ones you miss while cleaning up after yourself should rust away rapidly.

8. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Looks like we need to find out.

SF-

9. smonk

smonk Oregon Member

I never had a problem with any ammo in my fal. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Wolf or other steel cased ammo. It's worked for me every time I've used it.