JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've finally realized that I'm getting this phony Firefox full-screen "update notice" when I'm browsing this forum. Seems it only happens when I'm online here. I might be mistaken, but, it does seem more likely to happen only on this site.

It's a full-screen pop-over and I ignore it as I know where I get my official updates from.

I'm posting a screenshot of the issue...

FakeFF-UpdateNotice.jpg

Thanks for the heads up guys. Please be sure you click the Cancel button.

I haven't seen it myself, I'm looking into it now. Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Last Edited:
According to the Mozilla forums it looks like it's happening on several very large sites as well, such as Zillow and Accuweather.

A number of the ad network CDN's end up hosting and serving up malware. It's an easy way for the hackers to exploit a lot of people really quickly.

Even google has been hit by this, and I think this site has been hit by it more than once (ad-rolls serving up malware). It's going to continue to be a problem in the future, and is only going to get worse.

A number of the ad network CDN's end up hosting and serving up malware. It's an easy way for the hackers to exploit a lot of people really quickly.

Even google has been hit by this, and I think this site has been hit by it more than once (ad-rolls serving up malware). It's going to continue to be a problem in the future, and is only going to get worse.

You know what, I would really like to see NWFA go ad-free (I don't think it's worth it for the security vulnerabilities it opens up), and it's really time to put my money where my mouth is. So I just signed up for a silver support membership. I hope that helps Joe.

You know what, I would really like to see NWFA go ad-free (I don't think it's worth it for the security vulnerabilities it opens up), and it's really time to put my money where my mouth is. So I just signed up for a silver support membership. I hope that helps Joe.

I really appreciate that AMP. I'd love to see NWFA go ad-free myself, or even just ad-network free (self-hosting the ads).

Unfortunately, donations and all other sources of revenue don't even cover 20% of our monthly costs, making the ad networks a necessary evil we (and most other websites) have to deal with. I'm currently brainstorming a few ideas, but I'm afraid none of those will come close either.

I installed a 'pop up blocker' and I never have seen this warning

While I agree... the problem is, this board is funded via ads. Both from sponsors who pay to have their ads here, as well as ad-networks that pay Joe to have them hosted on the site.

I've run ABP and No-script for years, it's really become a matter of security that I do this, however, unless there's another mechanism by which you pay for the content you like, it eventually goes away. This board is no different.

While I agree... the problem is, this board is funded via ads. Both from sponsors who pay to have their ads here, as well as ad-networks that pay Joe to have them hosted on the site.

I've run ABP and No-script for years, it's really become a matter of security that I do this, however, unless there's another mechanism by which you pay for the content you like, it eventually goes away. This board is no different.

As I have been a member on this site for over 5 years now and I have never purchased anything on this site, other than from other members, I must call BS on your sad, sad story
Thanks for playing, but I don't like when people make up fictional stories to tell me

The real reason why I would not wish to use the ad blocker I have is simple--Some sites will ask me to temporarily stop running my ad blocker, because they want me to be annoyed by all the ads they sell. I just don't go back there again, and I call that
'Problem Solved'-- If You enjoy being bombarded with ads for things and also malware that is just waiting for you to click on the wrong thing in order to compromise your valuable time and hardware, go ahead and leave the ad blocker software off your computer.

As I have been a member on this site for over 5 years now and I have never purchased anything on this site, other than from other members, I must call BS on your sad, sad story
Thanks for playing, but I don't like when people make up fictional stories to tell me

The real reason why I would not wish to use the ad blocker I have is simple--Some sites will ask me to temporarily stop running my ad blocker, because they want me to be annoyed by all the ads they sell. I just don't go back there again, and I call that
'Problem Solved'-- If You enjoy being bombarded with ads for things and also malware that is just waiting for you to click on the wrong thing in order to compromise your valuable time and hardware, go ahead and leave the ad blocker software off your computer.

Umm... or you could sponsor the site. Dork

I have not gotten anything for pop-ups coming here. However, I do use Mozilla, and am running the latest. I got home and was doing a bit of browsing, and out of no where I had a pop-up (said Microsoft Windows, and come with an automated message. The message stated that my computer was compromised, and that my Facebook account and credit card info was being uploaded to the hacker. The screen was locked, and had a Microsoft login screen in the center) and there was nothing I could do. Like hell. Crtl/Alt/Delete = Task Manager = End Task of Mozilla.

I scanned two times for any rogues. There were none. So I deleted all cookies, cleared the browser history, then deleted all the temp and prefetch folders. I started Mozilla once again. No problem. Situation normal..once again.

My take on what happened was cookie related. Nonetheless, my efforts paid off and splatted the "bug"

I use Add Blocker Plus, and something (adware, spyware, etc) still got through.

For the record, I don't Bookface.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top