JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kid at my work came to my desk the other day and asked if I reloaded. Told him yes. He said his wife went to the local gun store a couple of months ago to buy ammo for her new Hellcat and mistakenly bought two boxes of Hornady 115gr FMJ RN bullets.

He asked me if I wanted to buy them. I said sure and that I would pay him retail price. At the time, he didn't know if they were XTPs or RNs or what weight. New gun owners and all that.

So, he showed up a bit ago and I saw what they were and said they really weren't my preferred grain or style, but since any 9mm is better than nothing, I would pay him $30 for the two boxes. I pulled up Midway and showed him the same bullets for $14.99. Of course, they are out of stock. So I gave him the $30 bucks and he seemed happy.

SIk6lo_eR66l9VOJ1A26Eg.jpg

After he left, I started thinking about it. Those bullets likely sell for $16 a box or more locally. After he bought them and paid tax, he was probably into them for $35. If I was to buy them online, it would cost me another $10 for shipping, if I could even find them.

Hornady 9mm bullets are now unobtanium. So those two boxes are probably worth a bit more on the street. Now I feel a bit bad.

I don't THINK I was unfair in my offer since I really didn't like the 115gr, and he couldn't use them, and now he has $30 instead of bullets he has no use for. I don't know. I feel like I took advantage of him somehow, but not sure. What do you guys think?

I haven't bought any 9mm bullets for nearly 8 years, I cast my own and just wondering if the (store boughts) are really that hard to come up with.
I cast for .40/10mm and .45 Colt, but not 9mm since I used to just buy target ammo at Walmart.

I bought a bunch of RMR bullets last month after a week backorder. Haven't been able to find any Hornady XTPs anywhere online or in person. Midway shows all 9mm bullets out of stock currently.

My LGS shelves were completely bare of all Hornady 9mm and .401 bullets this week...

Zddl-QU0RIuENJytGIjrVQ.jpg

I cast for .40/10mm and .45 Colt, but not 9mm since I used to just buy target ammo at Walmart.

I bought a bunch of RMR bullets last month after a week backorder. Haven't been able to find any Hornady XTPs anywhere online or in person. Midway shows all 9mm bullets out of stock currently.

My LGS shelves were completely bare of all Hornady 9mm and .401 bullets this week...

View attachment 730193
Thanks for the reply.

Quite fair, especially considering they're something you didn't even want.

He's good with the deal too. Done IMO.

What was a bit shady was whomever the counter person whom sold the projectiles to the fellows wife. They should have recognized a "newby" & with a few non probing conversational inquiries recognized that she would have no use for them.

Granted, who knows how crazy busy they were at the time, or perhaps the wife gave off some type of "Karen" vibe as well. So there's that.

Many of the gun counter employees at places that are not specifically gun stores are not terribly knowledgeable about the esoteric art of feeding firearms. I've had to explain numerous times during this era of limits on ammo that " No, these are not loaded rounds, they are bullets, components. The limit is different."
Not everyone is an enthusiast, you might just get someone who usually works in a different area, and doesn't even LIKE guns.

As to the deal, I'm kind of with @Camelfilter on this one. Does the store not do returns? Would have figured a guy could just take em back and swap for what they wanted, or get a refund. Personally, I don't expect to get full value if I am offloading something like that to a private party, there's a certain amount of " resistance to the sale due to inconvenience" that is usually overcome with lower price.

View attachment 730193
Try Montana Gold Bullets.com...they still had a few different caliber last week when I was looking...

If you "feel bad"?

Well perhaps.....
A McDonald's lunch break (you can pay) and a little chat about your mutual hobby interests are in order?:)

Aloha, Mark

He wasn't ripped off, you weren't ripped off.

I think what you did was definitely fair.
Agree. No reason to feel bad.
I've bought stuff that was wrong or I didn't need and usually I resigned to just eating it and learning the lesson that can only be taught by throwing money away. I would be THRILLED if I was able to recoup some of my cost and get the item(s) to somebody who could use it/them.

Ironically, last fall, my boss asked me if I reloaded 9mm. Gave me a box of 100 Speer Gold Dots 124gr. I was extremely grateful and didn't ask where he got them. He didn't want any money for them.

He wasn't ripped off, you weren't ripped off.

I think what you did was definitely fair.

Hummmmm? Define: "fair"?

Remember the original agreement.......
He asked me if I wanted to buy them. I said sure and that I would pay him retail price. At the time, he didn't know if they were XTPs or RNs or what weight. New gun owners and all that.

Anyway......
I'm not making any judgments here.

Hell.....I've just been given a NEGATIVE review by a guy who claims that I backed out on a deal.

Rrrrright.....the buyer didn't/wouldn't communicate in a timely manner. So, should I wait until until Hell Freezes over? He was told to call....HE DIDN'T BOTHER. I moved on.

Now, the question is?

Should I leave him a negative feedback too?

Or just.....

"Move on"?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews