Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fair Chase & Drones

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by whiskeybill, Mar 27, 2014.

1. whiskeybill

whiskeybill Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

2. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

This is legal in Oregon? I had no idea.

3. whiskeybill

I'm not sure if the game department or the legislature have addressed the issue yet. One should probably check with the various game departments to find out. In Alaska, (like most other states) it is illegal to hunt the same day that you have spotted big game from an aircraft. Alaska went a step further to specifically prohibit the use of drones to spot game. Some hunters will use any unethical edge to get game, particularly moose and elk. I have seen small aircraft in Montana actually hazing herds of elk toward hunters. The side numbers had been blocked out on the planes to hinder identification.

4. whiskeybill

5. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

Won't be long before the price drops on small camera equiped drones. If the issue is not addressed, the fall skies will be full of them.

6. Nightvisionary

Nightvisionary New Member

Oregon General Hunting regulation on page 27 of the 2014 Big Game Synopsis states:

No Person Shall:

Hunt within 8 hours of communicating with or receiving information on the location of game mammals from an aircraft. For the purpose of this rule "aircraft" includes unmanned aircraft such as drones.

whiskeybill likes this.
  7. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

New Sport coming this Fall... Drone Hunting!

8. whiskeybill

I think that happened at a bird hunting club in the south somewhere. Animal rights activists had launched a drone to spy on activities at a private bird hunting preserve, and the hunters went into AA mode!

Cogs likes this.