JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I sold my reloading setup that I actually never used to load a round. Now I'm left with a ton of brass. Having never bought brass before I really don't know what to list it for. Any input on what to list it for is greatly appreciated. It's mainly 5.56 and 9mm. But there is a bunch of 45, 40, some 38 special and 380. Just wanted some input before I sell it for scrap. There is 25 lbs of brass.

Thank you

Not sure what you have for quality but once fired range brass in ,380, 9mm and .40 can fetch 30 to 40 dollars per thousand depending on factors.

I'm possibly interested in buying this as a lot if the price and quality is right. Let me know when you get enough feedback posted.

Agree with JG on the 380, 9mm and .40. I've seen it priced higher, and maybe it sold after a bit. Maybe get a bit more $s if packaged in 100 lots. .45acp @ $50.00-$60.00/K. I'm under the impression you can get A LOT of re-loadings out of .45. I suppose .38sp should run about the same as .45acp. Those are the prices I would, and have payed, and that is usually tumbled, not sized/deprimed.

Mike

I'm going to have to disagree on the prices quoted thus far. To date I've purchased 1k of 40, 1k of 9mm, and 1k of 223/5.56 (not cleaned) from Precision Once Fired Brass. They are an indoor range so the brass isn't guaranteed to be once fired, but I've not come across any that were obviously reloaded. Shipping costs for 1k is $14. Prices are driven by commonality so 9mm and .40 are not worth much.

223/5.56: $32/1k
9mm: $14/1k
.40: $20/1k
45ACP: $40/1k
.380: $48/1k
38 spl:$41/1k

Those prices are for mixed headstamps so if yours are from only one or two manufacturers then certainly highlight that fact in your ad and prices. You can charge a bit more as there won't be a shipping cost, but if you go too high people won't find a small savings worth the effort. For example, if you were offering 1k of 45ACP for $40 I'd probably pass on it as $14 isn't enough to get me to drive to Gresham and back.

I see 9mm cleaned and polished for $20 all the time but that is without shipping. I just guess it depends on if you want to clean your own. Prices for brass are really coming down. I think Steve M is pretty much right on.

Brass prices coming down? Good deal! I thought $50.00 for real nice pin cleaned .45 was pretty good.

I've got butt loads of the brass I load so I don't see me needing any for quite some time....but good for those just getting into it.

Depends on quantity and if a buyer is interested in multiple calibers. I wouldn't drive to Gresham to save $14 like I said, but I would save way more than $14 shipping if buying a large amount. There are also many people out there that live closer to you or don't mind the drive. To some it might be worth seeing the goods in person even if they don't save over internet sources.

I'm not up on current brass scrap prices, but I'm thinking it is around $1.50-$1.90/lb.
A fired 9mm case runs about 60gr on average or 8.57 lbs/1k which comes out to $1.63/lb at $14/1k prices. I don't see any reason you couldn't ask $20/1k for 9mm which is $2.33/lb.

The 380 brass is even lighter and far more valuable to reloaders so there is no way it is not worth selling unless you only have a few pieces. I'd guess you can sell it for around $5/lb. I don't have any around here to weigh, but you could run the numbers yourself. This stuff is hard to find right now and would be a shame to lose it.

Mixed 223/5.56 is about 96.2gr each or 13.74lbs/1k which come out to $2.32/lb if sold at $32/1k. Bump the price to $38/1k to account for no shipping cost and it comes out to $2.77/lb which isn't much better than 9mm.

Personally I'd try to sell it all and then scrap what doesn't sell. And I'd not take any offers for less than scrap prices.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably sit down and sort and count it out by caliber. The vast majority of it is 9mm and 223. Probably 65% of it.

My plan wasn't really scrapping it. It was to send it to Freedom Munitions for their brass credit program. They pay $2.10/lb. But I'd prefer to just sell locally to make it easier and faster.

Thank you guys for all of the input.

I sold about 2600 pieces of not cleaned 9mm, .40 and .223/556 for $80. Was about
3 cents per round. I was going to scrap it but was looking at about $50 so $80 was better

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top