Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Failure to feed

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bigdee, Oct 5, 2013.

1. bigdee

bigdee Hood River, Oregon New Member

Hey guys just bought a used ruger 10/22 and have never any problems with my other one cycling of ammo. I was at the local shooting spot sighting in my scope and shot about 80 rounds through the gun and then it stopped cycling the ammo. It would cycle the ammo to the tube and then stop short of the bolt coming to a full closure. I then would have to pull the bolt back and cycle each round individually. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if the gun sat for so long and could need lubrication or if its something internal.
    Thanks, Big Dee

2. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

IS IT DIRTY?

3. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

Was it clean and inspected when you bought it? Did you try using another magazine?

4. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I would perform a thorough cleaning of both your rifle as well as your mags. Don't know if you were using BX-25 mags, but they dissemble for cleaning as well.

5. bigdee

bigdee Hood River, Oregon New Member

I was just about to do a thorough clean of the whole gun, mags and the gun. I shot 80 rounds through the box mag and it worked fine than put in bx-25 and wouldn't cycle.

6. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've had problems with Butler Creek 25rd mags, but never a Ruger BX-25. Odds are it's just dirty and needs a complete breakdown.

sheepdip and (deleted member) like this.
  7. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Check Youtube for any of several tutorials on making sticky BX25's behave. I fixed one for a friend and it's been 100% ever since.

8. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Were you using thunderbolt ammo ?
    That stuff builds up a lot of crud.