JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Buying some ammo this morning, I just asked my favorite Armory about the procedure if I were to bring in a 3rd party sale as a Seller. I surrender my gun, $40 for the transfer, $10 for the buyer bcg. BUT if the buyer fails the bgc, the seller now has to pay another $10 to pass a Sellers bcg TO GET HIS GUN BACK. Whaaaa the f!!!?
This is bloody insane. :mad:

I think the buyer has to pass the BGC first to avoid this situation. Once that happens the FFL can log the gun into his book and complete the transfer.

**edit**
...and $40 plus BGC is ludicrous IMO.

Despite my animated verbal astonishment, this senior manager was adamant that procedure is the gun be taken in at the time of buyer application, as the application states the serial etc. It is now in their ffl possession and must be transferred forward or backward and either must be with bgc.

that procedure is the gun be taken in at the time of buyer application,
A good thing to know before trying to SELL. I would not abide by this plan if I were the seller and either find another FFL who does NOT do this - or not sell. What is the rational for the FFL to take the gun in prior to the buyer BGC anyway? To create a de facto 'confiscation' if BOTH were to be denied?

Last Edited:
So just for the sake of argument; If the seller relinquishes at the time of buyers BGC and the buyer fails (for whatever reason), then the seller fails a BGC (again, for whatever reason) to get it back from the FFL, then what happens? Who keeps the gun? Does it end up with OSP? BATF? Is there an appeal process? Is the firearm destroyed? It's certainly not unheard of for a check to come back as a false fail.
This is ridiculous. I don't wanna play.

Buying some ammo this morning, I just asked my favorite Armory about the procedure if I were to bring in a 3rd party sale as a Seller. I surrender my gun, $40 for the transfer, $10 for the buyer bcg. BUT if the buyer fails the bgc, the seller now has to pay another $10 to pass a Sellers bcg TO GET HIS GUN BACK. Whaaaa the f!!!?

He is giving you incorrect information. @Norm0931 on this site is an FFL and has already clarified this in another thread. You keep your gun in your possession until the buyer passes the BGC, then, and only then, are they to take the gun onto their books for the transfer. Sounds like some FFL's are not getting the message about the correct process. It will be up to us to make sure they know what they're doing before we hand over a gun for a private sale transfer.

And to add to what others said, $40+$10 for the transfer is way too high. I know of at least two I can use that will charge me $25 total, including the BGC. Do some shopping around for other FFL's in your area, don't pay that ridiculous price.

Glad to hear. Will avoid using this ffl. Maybe any of then.

Since you're in Clackamas County, you may want to contact Don Bancroft at Bancroft Blades. He's a home-based FFL on the south end of Oregon City that I use (when he's available, be sure to set an appointment). He has already confirmed his FFL transfer fees on new guns @ $25 including BGC will also apply to private sale transfers. He's a good guy, you'll find his contact info in the FFL listings for the state.

Sounds like Or. folks are going through a learning process similar to what Wa. folks did some months ago. Some confusion about how to properly process transfers under the new laws. Some FFL folks are already doing things right. Some ain't. I suspect it will get straightened out in short order. FFLs will get things right and start getting prices to where they should be. That's kinda what happened in Wa. Folks are now competing for that FFL business and offering $10 dollar transfers.

I'm pretty sure you still own the firearm until the transfer is completed. If the FFL takes possession of the firearm and does not transfer it to the purchaser or return it, they become the purchaser and owe you for the firearm. You don't have to pass a background check to sell a firearm. Even in Oregon.

Ok, I located the relevant post.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...-background-checks.203193/page-3#post-1307178

According to the PDF, if the buyer fails the BGC and the seller "has not relinquished possession" of the firearm to the FFL then the seller is free to walk out with it. If the seller has left the firearm "in the exclusive possession" of the FFL then a BGC is required to return it to the seller.

I assume that means that as long as the seller doesn't leave the FFLs place of business they are ok to leave with the gun. Good luck convincing the FFL of that though. Maybe having the ATF document with you would help.

How does it work if you buy through gunbroker? Lets say I have the winning bid. Can I go to my ffl and fill out paperwork before sending money? I have a chl, and have bought two guns within the last year or so, and the bgcs have gone through quickly. But these days the state or feds may close down the bgc system or just start denying everyone without warning. I would not want to pay for a gun that I cant receive. If bgc didnt go through, would gunbroker consider me as having broken my agreement and consider me liable for the cost of the gun I was never sent?

in your response please make it clear whether you have actually bought or sold on gunbroker. Im asking about gunbroker auctions only, not about private party sales such as through NWFA.

How does it work if you buy through gunbroker? Lets say I have the winning bid. Can I go to my ffl and fill out paperwork before sending money? I have a chl, and have bought two guns within the last year or so, and the bgcs have gone through quickly. But these days the state or feds may close down the bgc system or just start denying everyone without warning. I would not want to pay for a gun that I cant receive. If bgc didnt go through, would gunbroker consider me as having broken my agreement and consider me liable for the cost of the gun I was never sent?

in your response please make it clear whether you have actually bought or sold on gunbroker. Im asking about gunbroker auctions only, not about private party sales such as through NWFA.
You would have to ask the seller how soon they expect to get paid. Last time I bought a gun off Gunbroker I called the seller (it was a shop) the next day, they already had my favorite FFL on file. So they took my CC info and the gun was already on it's way to the FFL before the FFL even opened. I went in the next day to tell them it was on the way. When the FFL got the gun they entered it into their inventory and then had me come in to run me. So if you want to try to get the BGC run before paying for the gun you would have to ask the seller if they are OK with this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top