JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slight thread drift back to the OP:rolleyes:...the event wasn't a complete failure unless: A) You or someone else died because of what you did or B) You learned nothing from it. It clearly sounds like you learned something and, even better, shared so us other mortals could learn as well. Thank you for the OP.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled drinking thread.

Whiskey isn't beer or wine. It doesn't go bad once opened, so no reason to assume it will all be consumed after opening.

My girlfriend and I drove to my parent's house for card night around 7pm. When we pulled into their drive, I noticed the garage door was open, which is odd since dad is a retired Chief of Police and never leaves anything unsecured, even in the low-crime town he lives in. He and mom were getting ready to make their annual trek down to Arizona for the winter, so the RV and truck were in the driveway. I pulled off to the side by the Jeep shed and we got out.

I had brought two bottles of whiskey and a 2-liter bottle of coke and had my hands full as we started walking across the driveway in front of the open garage door. My girlfriend was about 20' behind me and carrying items. I had just made it to the front porch when I heard my girlfriend scream.

As I turned, I saw the biggest raccoon running out of the open garage right in front of her and headed straight for me.

It made a sharp turn at the last second and ran across the yard and over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

I couldn't have gotten my gun out in time, even if my hands were empty. Good thing that coon was not aggressive, lol.

We went inside and told my folks what had happened and my dad asked why didn't I shoot it; I was carrying after all. I told him I would have had to drop the whiskey I brought for him to even get a shot off. He accepted that response and said that's why you always leave your gun hand free.

I thought the whole thing was hilarious, but a good reminder of how you should always be ready when carrying.
A great quote from a firearms instructor: awareness is the currency with which you buy time

Last raccoon I saw close up, had rabies...

I had a near miss when a very large dog that had killed one of my chickens, turned and partially charged at me. I was amazed how smoothly I had my gun out and on target, with the trigger squeezed half way. Fortunately he backed off just in time, and I informed my neighbor (after I found who it was) how close he got to having a dead dog. He apologized...

Slight thread drift back to the OP:rolleyes:...the event wasn't a complete failure unless: A) You or someone else died because of what you did or B) You learned nothing from it. It clearly sounds like you learned something and, even better, shared so us other mortals could learn as well. Thank you for the OP.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled drinking thread.
It woulda been cool if he Bacardi 151'd it and tossed a lit Zippo at its bubblegum.

A Man, his Wife, His Mother-in-Law, a Raccoon and a case of Whiskey are all on a lifeboat and. . . .
WLD_01_TK0007_01_P.jpg

Well, I stumbled into an Austin bar, sat next to local guy
Old as the hills, he'd seen some stuff in all the years gone by.

As I nursed my beer he turned to me, said, "Son, life's a crazy tune....
'Bout women, whiskey and Coke, and even a few Raccoons."

"Now whiskey, it'll tempt ya. An' women just the same,
Add Coke to the mix, I'll tell ya: Son, its a different game.

I'll tell ya now 'bout one night under a silvery moon,
With women, whiskey and Coke, and even a damned Raccoon."

My girlfriend and I drove to my parent's house for card night around 7pm. When we pulled into their drive, I noticed the garage door was open, which is odd since dad is a retired Chief of Police and never leaves anything unsecured, even in the low-crime town he lives in. He and mom were getting ready to make their annual trek down to Arizona for the winter, so the RV and truck were in the driveway. I pulled off to the side by the Jeep shed and we got out.

I had brought two bottles of whiskey and a 2-liter bottle of coke and had my hands full as we started walking across the driveway in front of the open garage door. My girlfriend was about 20' behind me and carrying items. I had just made it to the front porch when I heard my girlfriend scream.

As I turned, I saw the biggest raccoon running out of the open garage right in front of her and headed straight for me.

It made a sharp turn at the last second and ran across the yard and over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

I couldn't have gotten my gun out in time, even if my hands were empty. Good thing that coon was not aggressive, lol.

We went inside and told my folks what had happened and my dad asked why didn't I shoot it; I was carrying after all. I told him I would have had to drop the whiskey I brought for him to even get a shot off. He accepted that response and said that's why you always leave your gun hand free.

I thought the whole thing was hilarious, but a good reminder of how you should always be ready when carrying.
whiskey over everything..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads