JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) "In North Carolina, it is not uncommon to shoot water moccasins that get or drop into the boat."
How do you shoot the snake without holing the boat?

2) "Better a racoon than those damn Sasquatches!"
A sasquatch hat - now there's novelty.

And since the stupid has shown up in this thread, I must also apparently clarify that I would not have discharged my weapon in city limits for a raccoon. My dad was joking about shooting the coon. He's retired law enforcement and is well aware of the limitations of discharging a weapon.

Really didn't think that I had to explain this, but, here we are. :s0153:
Anyone who thinks coons can't pose a threat haven't seen a pissed off coon!
My uncles used to hunt coons with dogs. Large hounds, like a Mountain Cur, Walkers and Blue Ticks. Not a single veteran hound was scar free, and some were missing chunks...
A coon in the city limits that wasn't approaching me would be left to run. One looking like it wanted a chunk of me or another person would be killed immediately!
Easy enough to explain.
Carrying a handgun for protection does not imply it's only for use against a human predator. A couple of years ago a guy shot an off leash dog that approached him and his dog in an extremely aggressive manner. The owner was sitting on her butt drinking coffee and didn't think her dog could be a problem. Fortunately the DA sided with the shooter and he wasn't charged.

Circumstances determine everything.

My girlfriend and I drove to my parent's house for card night around 7pm. When we pulled into their drive, I noticed the garage door was open, which is odd since dad is a retired Chief of Police and never leaves anything unsecured, even in the low-crime town he lives in. He and mom were getting ready to make their annual trek down to Arizona for the winter, so the RV and truck were in the driveway. I pulled off to the side by the Jeep shed and we got out.

I had brought two bottles of whiskey and a 2-liter bottle of coke and had my hands full as we started walking across the driveway in front of the open garage door. My girlfriend was about 20' behind me and carrying items. I had just made it to the front porch when I heard my girlfriend scream.

As I turned, I saw the biggest raccoon running out of the open garage right in front of her and headed straight for me.

It made a sharp turn at the last second and ran across the yard and over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

I couldn't have gotten my gun out in time, even if my hands were empty. Good thing that coon was not aggressive, lol.

We went inside and told my folks what had happened and my dad asked why didn't I shoot it; I was carrying after all. I told him I would have had to drop the whiskey I brought for him to even get a shot off. He accepted that response and said that's why you always leave your gun hand free.

I thought the whole thing was hilarious, but a good reminder of how you should always be ready when carrying.
Well, don't be quite so hard on yourself. Here's the thing.....it was a raccoon. Raccoons are pretty damn smart. That's why you didn't have a confrontation. He just wanted to leave. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that if there had been a real threat, the booze and soda would have hit the ground, and you'd have taken appropriate action. My only concern is the very idea that anyone would consider shooting a raccoon that isn't attacking anyone......unless you've got a good fricassee raccoon recipe.

Q: What's the first rule of surviving a gunfight?

A: Don't get in a gunfight.

Peace

There's drinking and then there's drinking to get blind drunk. One or two sorta sweet drinks to get a buzz or a little smoothed out... no problem. But I'm not 16-20 anymore, not gonna get blitzed on sweet drinks or any other adult beverage.

Those nights when my GF drank Sloe Gin Fizz and then barfed it all up... gone! We grew up...

I was stationed at GITMO Cuba during the missile crisis, and we had one guy who regularly drank Sloe Gin Fizzes, and invariably barfed red all over his white uniforms. He was a regular alcoholic and I watched him drink after shave lotion straight from the bottle, after returning to the barracks from the enlisted men's club drunk on his adz.
Drunkest I ever got that I remember was on over proof white rum down with the guys from Jamaica that worked on the base, they would
take the hop down to visit family & etc. and would bring it back with them when they returned. These were all black guys with british accents, and it was a funny combination to a guy who grew up in AZ and hardly ever heard that combination before. The were some of the nicest guys on the whole base! They got a big kick out of putting me on the base back to my barracks, I think they poured me on. LOL
:s0074: :s0005: That was me on the right!
Yeah rum will sneak up on me.
Gabby

I was stationed at GITMO Cuba during the missile crisis, and we had one guy who regularly drank Sloe Gin Fizzes, and invariably barfed red all over his white uniforms. He was a regular alcoholic and I watched him drink after shave lotion straight from the bottle, after returning to the barracks from the enlisted men's club drunk on his adz.
Drunkest I ever got that I remember was on over proof white rum down with the guys from Jamaica that worked on the base, they would
take the hop down to visit family & etc. and would bring it back with them when they returned. These were all black guys with british accents, and it was a funny combination to a guy who grew up in AZ and hardly ever heard that combination before. The were some of the nicest guys on the whole base! They got a big kick out of putting me on the base back to my barracks, I think they poured me on. LOL
Gabby
Yeah, I'll have been dating my girlfriend for two years on New Years Eve. She remarked to me the other day that she's only seen me drunk twice while we've been dating. Once when we were camping (worst hangover ever after two bottles of Moscato :eek:) and once earlier this summer when I lost track and had 5 mixed drinks in 3 hours while watching TV. I really dislike getting drunk. It takes a couple of days to get over the hangovers at my age.

Yeah, I'll have been dating my girlfriend for two years on New Years Eve. She remarked to me the other day that she's only seen me drunk twice while we've been dating. Once when we were camping (worst hangover ever after two bottles of Moscato :eek:) and once earlier this summer when I lost track and had 5 mixed drinks in 3 hours while watching TV. I really dislike getting drunk. It takes a couple of days to get over the hangovers at my age.

I'm happy to say I've NEVER had a hang over, BUT there are some beers in particular mainly anything from Budweiser brewing Co. That will give me a bang up headache after only less than half a can. I finally determined most of the booze that I reacted to was aged in barrels. Bud is "Beech wood aged" funny thing is most hard stuff is aged in oak. Seldom bothers me though.
I guess I'm just lucky.
I took a bar tending class many years ago, and the instructor said that most hangovers were an allergic reaction, he recommended drinking anything that was colorless, or to try different brands till you find the ones that didn't give you a hangover. Works for me no headaches, I drink Miller or Pabst and no headaches. And mostly cheep vodka same story. :D
Good luck y'all!
Gabby

There I was,

Home on leave and went to visit my high school buddy going to school in Corvallis. We'd done some 'coon hunting in high school, and since then he'd gotten kinda serious about it and had 3 dogs. Became a member of the Mary's Peak club in Philomath.

One club function was a "live 'Coon hunt", whereupon teams went out for the night, ran the dogs and brought back a live 'coon in a gunnysack to be weighed at the club house. Since I was the skinniest (and probably the youngest) guy on our team, I was elected to climb the tree, and shake out the coon. The poop hit the fan when the 'coon hit the ground, each dog man grabbing his hounds away and a couple other guys running the "Cap-cher" stick and gunnysack to contain the 'coon.

We won. After the weighing in, it was pushing 2-3am, and so we tossed the gunnysacked 'coon on top of the dog box in the back of the Bronco (full cab), headed for home, planning to run him out of the city and cut him loose in the morning (we were literally, "Dog Tired".) Parked the rig outside the apartment, put the dogs away and hit the sack.

Woke up the next morning, had venison sausage and eggs and went out to do the chore.

When we stepped out the front door, the first thing we noticed was music playing. Loud.
When we looked at the Bronco, the windshield wipers were going. Fast.
We determined the source of the music. The Bronco.
As we got closer we could hear the heater fan running. Fast.
Emergency flashers. Operating.

The 'coon was sitting in the driver's seat, playing "touchy feely" with the steering wheel and anything else he could find. He looked up at us with sleepy eyes as if we had interrupted him.

We dashed back into the apartment and cobbled together a "Cap-cher" stick out of the only good broom in the house (glares from buddy's girlfriend) and some paracord. Marlin Perkins woulda been proud. (You younger guys will have to ask around about ol' Marlin and his hapless buddy Jim).

When we finally got the Bandit back in the Bag, I told my buddy, "Man! good thing you didn't leave the keys in the rig!" My buddy replied, "I did! How do ya think all that stuff was running? I think he's been to Portland and back already."

Just had some Stafford's Reserve Bourbon as a TG gift, man that went down smooth neat and had a great taste.
Didn't take me long to finish it! I was afraid to ask what it cost, and besides it's not polite either! :eek:
I'll see if the local state store carries it and if so take a gander at the price.
Gabby

Last Edited:
Not the direction I saw this going lol, but way better, and I can relate. Last winter my little terrier was outside and started making "I am being murdered" noises. I ran outside with my Glock and light, when I saw the king of all racons dragging the dog across the yard. I ran at it, and when it dropped the dog I shot it five time with Ranger 147 T series, super dead. Needless to say when I put it in a five gallon bucket it was so large that its butt and tail were hanging out. It was a good solid 6 gallons of racon. This was the second time in 14 years I got to use my CCW.
You sir are the King of all racons.

"a person who is skilled in relating stories and anecdotes interestingly."

I was stationed at GITMO Cuba during the missile crisis, and we had one guy who regularly drank Sloe Gin Fizzes, and invariably barfed red all over his white uniforms. He was a regular alcoholic and I watched him drink after shave lotion* straight from the bottle, after returning to the barracks from the enlisted men's club drunk on his adz.
Drunkest I ever got that I remember was on over proof white rum down with the guys from Jamaica** that worked on the base, they would
Gabby

* Same thing as Sloe Gin anyway

** Too true! My wife and I took several Caribbean cruises. A typical excursion would feature Rum Punch, with real Jamaican Rum, well over 150proof. But you couldn't/can't taste it. My wife spaced that we were drinking Rum in that punch, and in the hot sun treated herself to a number of them because well, they kept pouring her more! When it was time to leave, she waded out to the excursion boat carrying her little plastic glass of rum punch, tripped and fell in the water, but raised the glass over her head and didn't spill a drop!! .... We missed dinner on board the ship that night. She was soooooooo sick, all that rocking of the boat. Or maybe it was because I took advantage of her before she got sick... I'm not remembering clearly. I had a few myself. Apparently not tooooo many tho. :rolleyes:

1) A coon in the city limits that wasn't approaching me would be left to run. One looking like it wanted a chunk of me or another person would be killed immediately!
A coon that charges you is likely rabid. Proceed accordingly.
Actually, this ROE works for just about any potentially dangerous critter, rabid or not.

2) " I'm happy to say I've NEVER had a hang over, BUT..."
My dad was a mechanical engineer who specialized in citrus processing. The major citrus company he worked for was planning to introduce a line of mixed drinks and wanted to do some research on the very subject of what in the liquor causes a hangover, and which liquors contained the most/least. Of course now everybody knows that fusel oils are the cause, but this was at least 50 years ago. (Fusel oil, a mixture of volatile, oily liquids produced in small amounts during alcoholic fermentation. A typical fusel oil contains 60–70 percent of amyl alcohol ( q.v. ), smaller amounts of n -propyl and isobutyl alcohols, and traces of other components.)
At that time in my life I was fond of Cuervo and it didn't give me a hangover. I also loved Rainier Ale ("A unique beverage of exceptional quality and character..." Sez so right on the label), which could give one a hangover that made suicide seem like a good idea.
Rum has one of the higher levels of fusel oils and really does pack a tremendous hangover. Filtering through charcoal removes a lot of the impurities..

1) A coon in the city limits that wasn't approaching me would be left to run. One looking like it wanted a chunk of me or another person would be killed immediately!
A coon that charges you is likely rabid. Proceed accordingly.
Actually, this ROE works for just about any potentially dangerous critter, rabid or not.

tenor.gif

which could give one a hangover that made suicide seem like a good idea.

You've never had a high quality hangover until you've been hospitalized for 5 days with alcohol poisoning!!! Ay chi mama!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top