JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Turns out dad had forgotten the door and when he went out to investigate, he discovered a bag of dog food torn open that the coon had gotten into.

Whiskey was Pendelton and 7 Devils. I try to bring over a new variety each week for dad to sample, which was the 7 Devils. We didn't like it.

Yes, I mix my whiskey with caffeine-free and sugar-free coke. I like the taste. I do drink good whiskey straight, as well as Scotch; I'm not a monster.

But I like mixed-drinks and have two whiskey and cokes every card night. I have to drive 15 miles home afterwards and I stretch them out over a 4 hour period. If I just drank it straight, I would likely drink too much. It works for me.

Folks are leaving Friday for Yuma, so last card night until they return in May, or when I am planning on visiting them in February.

Turns out dad had forgotten the door and when he went out to investigate, he discovered a bag of dog food torn open that the coon had gotten into.

Whiskey was Pendelton and 7 Devils. I try to bring over a new variety each week for dad to sample, which was the 7 Devils. We didn't like it.

Yes, I mix my whiskey with caffeine-free and sugar-free coke. I like the taste. I do drink good whiskey straight, as well as Scotch; I'm not a monster.

But I like mixed-drinks and have two whiskey and cokes every card night. I have to drive 15 miles home afterwards and I stretch them out over a 4 hour period. If I just drank it straight, I would likely drink too much. It works for me.

Folks are leaving Friday for Yuma, so last card night until they return in May, or when I am planning on visiting them in February.

I've heard about Pendleton whiskey... was that one any good? And I take it 7-Devils is made in Yakima or Benton City?

My neighbors have a property in Yuma and leave every winter for 6 months or more. My wife and I used to go to Quartzsite, but having lived near enough to Yuma back in the day, left San Diego in 1980 (dad used to word TDY in Yuma from time to time), and having visited there going thru to Algodones, I fail to see the attraction, other than warmth. (Cheap property???) Like whiskey, to each his own!!! I do hope you enjoy your Feb trip... is that something you've done before? Dress warm, weather is starting to heat up by then!!

I've heard about Pendleton whiskey... was that one any good? And I take it 7-Devils is made in Yakima or Benton City?

My neighbors have a property in Yuma and leave every winter for 6 months or more. My wife and I used to go to Quartzsite, but having lived near enough to Yuma back in the day, left San Diego in 1980 (dad used to word TDY in Yuma from time to time), and having visited there going thru to Algodones, I fail to see the attraction, other than warmth. (Cheap property???) Like whiskey, to each his own!!! I do hope you enjoy your Feb trip... is that something you've done before? Dress warm, weather is starting to heat up by then!!
7 Devils is made in Caldwell, ID and was sweet and not smooth. It was odd. Pendelton is closer to Jameson's and is my favorite under $1 per ounce whiskey. I drink it straight and mixed.

I've been to Yuma several times, as I used to live in Arizona and would visit the folks often.

The topography around Yuma is indeed ugly, but it's fun to go on Jeep trips and explore old mines and ghost towns. Yuma is perfect as a winter retreat with temps in the 70's and 80's and is a conservative town.

My folks started out buying a $60k park model home, then sold it a couple of years later for $90k, then bought a new construction adobe-style home in the Foothills area for $170k a few years ago. It's now worth around $300k and is like a resort. Dad did a ton of work to the lot and added palm trees, large water features, flagstone, and other niceties.

I love visiting in the dead of winter and sipping tequila in 80 degree weather while listening to the waterfall and basking in the sun on the rooftop deck...

IMG_20200110_162618270_HDR.jpg

7 Devils is made in Caldwell, ID and was sweet and not smooth. It was odd. Pendelton is closer to Jameson's and is my favorite under $1 per ounce whiskey. I drink it straight and mixed.

Oh crap, I think I got my mountain ranges mixed up... as a NE OR resident, I should know better. Senior moment!!

So 7-Devils is like Yukon Jack or Southern Comfort? And Jameson's is Irish Whiskey and also sweet? (I always thought it was Scotch, which I don't like at all.) If it's not Seagram's or Old Overholt, I don't know jack about it!!!

The topography around Yuma is indeed ugly, but it's fun to go on Jeep trips and explore old mines and ghost towns. Yuma is perfect as a winter retreat with temps in the 70's and 80's and is a conservative town.

It's not too bad when you get out away from the fields that blow dirt, etc. And the poor areas of "town". The wife and I were so jealous of all the people that had 4wlrs and would go on trips in the preserves in the S AZ desert... Sonoran Desert is so pretty, and the sunsets are breathtaking!

My folks started out buying a $60k park model home, then sold it a couple of years later for $90k, then bought a new construction adobe-style home in the Foothills area for $170k a few years ago. It's now worth around $300k and is like a resort. Dad did a ton of work to the lot and added palm trees, large water features, flagstone, and other niceties.

Sounds nice. I suspected that RE prices had skyrocketed there... blooming of the boomers!!

I love visiting in the dead of winter and sipping tequila in 80 degree weather while listening to the waterfall and basking in the sun on the rooftop deck...

Nice! I'm jealous with the remembrances of when I able to go!!!

And don't forget that an adult sized boot swung with sufficient force can dissuade 2 and 4 legged attackers.;)
For me, an absolute last resort .
It has been my experience that most animals can move faster and change directions way faster than I.
Even in my younger years I'm afraid this grasshopper would have a tough time snatching the pebble.:(
But if I could connect, well then, trouble with a capital T.:p

Pendleton is a blended whiskey very similar to Crown Royal in taste.

I prefer bourbon. Especially cask proof. Like strong flavors.
Rare Breed, Bookers, etc.

If I need my gun and something's in my hand, it would be dropped like a hot potato.

This is why Wild Bill Hickok always carried his stuff around in a basket perched on top of his head African style.. he wore it upside down and it looked remarkably like a cowboy hat though.

pretty sure

I went to wedding back in 2016 and I enjoyed the Whiskey and Coke drinks. A lot of Whiskey and little bit of Coke and It was my first time trying it. It was very good.

This is a great reason to make the wife carry everything. Sorry honey, gotta keep the hands free just in case! :D

I was at friend's house and we heard a noise in his shop. We turn on the lights and see a raccoon digging in the bait box in his boat. It scurries up into the rafters and my friend decides the raccoon has to die. He grabs his bow and shoots an arrow with a broadhead that skewers this raccoon and lodges into the rafter....directly over the deck of his boat. I swear 20 gallons of blood sprayed all over his boat.

There I was, (We kinda have a rule in my circle of hunting friends that all hunting stories should start with, "There I was...").

Sittin' there mindin' my own business on a stretch of rimrock overlooking a deep, steep canyon in Eastern Oregon, predator calling. For winter predator excursions, my hat of choice is the one previously pictured here and the result of construction advice offered here. Warm, sheds snow, and great camo.

Before too long, leisurely sailing down the canyon and circling when he sees something of interest is a Golden Eagle. He is well below me even though he has a good 500 feet of altitude from the bottom of the canyon. "Cool!" I think to myself, "Not too often you get to see a soaring Eagle from above!"
He continues his airborne patrol, down the canyon and out of sight.

Five minutes later (and after I've produced another call series), I get a funny feeling like maybe I heard something behind me or above me.

I swivel my head to the rear and above me to see the (Very Large and Getting Larger) Golden Eagle in full stoop: wings folded and coming on, racking up serious airspeed in his streamlined descent.

My entire body reacted in sheer terror: I almost fell off my perch, raised both arms (rifle in one) and screamed like a 12 year-old girl. The Eagle lost a couple feathers pulling out of his dive, less than seconds from impact.

Yeah. Real good huntin' hat.

Last Edited:
Shooting a racoon with your pistol and potentially damaging something or worse injuring someone is not worth the risk: especially shooting towards a garage or home. That said you have to understand when to drop stuff: you made the right call by not trying to shoot it. The racoon ultimately fled and was not an immediate threat: the same would have been true for a Human who was looting your dad's garage. Don't let anyone make you second guess sensible judgement: everyone has an opinion but ultimately you live with the consequences. I grew up and live deep in the a rural area, we often shot wild animals encroaching in our yard that threaten our animals: bear, coyotes, fox, fisher cats, weasels, etc. but we did not use a carry pistol, we used a revolver. rifle, shotgun. You made a good call IMO. I once had a pair of two legged animals attempt to break in to my home, I had a 12 gauge waiting on the other side of the door and a very large and high drive working dog quietly growling next to me: fortunately for the two idiots they decided not bust in the door after they tried to see if it was left open. It would have been a bad day for all involved: especially the two criminals.

1) Raccoons don't rise to the same threat level as 2 Orcs making nefarious entry into your domicile. They were worth shooting, threat-wise. The 'coon wasn't.

2) "...but we did not use a carry pistol, we used a revolver. rifle, shotgun..."
A re-volvulator can be an effective carry pistol. There are times a revolver is just what I need for a foray out into the big wide world in terms of concealability. Given that "most" DGUs are resolved with 2-3 shots a revolver is not a significant disadvantage unless there are 3 or more assailants.

3) Whisk(e)y and coke is OK as long as you don't overdo it. There's nothing like drinking to the point of reverse peristalsis to make a person no longer enjoy that particular drink (or even the smell of it). It depends on how long the alcohol OD is in one's stomach as to how nasty it is coming back up.
I found that if you're gonna start a celebratory day with a mixed drink a tequila sunrise is a tasty and healthful choice. :D

I was at friend's house and we heard a noise in his shop. We turn on the lights and see a raccoon digging in the bait box in his boat. It scurries up into the rafters and my friend decides the raccoon has to die. He grabs his bow and shoots an arrow with a broadhead that skewers this raccoon and lodges into the rafter....directly over the deck of his boat. I swear 20 gallons of blood sprayed all over his boat.

Good move!!!

In North Carolina, it is not uncommon to shoot water moccasins that get or drop into the boat. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Being a Marine, my shooting hand is always free and you never knew when you had to pop a salute. Reckon some things never leave ya.

Also I don't shoot animals unless I need to. I generally like raccoons and possums, but if they're aggressive I'll try to either get away or as a last resort take it out. Hard to do in the city, but that's why I carry mace and my sjambok with me whenever I'm walking the dog. I'm more concerned with my dog's safety than my own, but the two go hand-in-hand.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top