JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My girlfriend and I drove to my parent's house for card night around 7pm. When we pulled into their drive, I noticed the garage door was open, which is odd since dad is a retired Chief of Police and never leaves anything unsecured, even in the low-crime town he lives in. He and mom were getting ready to make their annual trek down to Arizona for the winter, so the RV and truck were in the driveway. I pulled off to the side by the Jeep shed and we got out.

I had brought two bottles of whiskey and a 2-liter bottle of coke and had my hands full as we started walking across the driveway in front of the open garage door. My girlfriend was about 20' behind me and carrying items. I had just made it to the front porch when I heard my girlfriend scream.

As I turned, I saw the biggest raccoon running out of the open garage right in front of her and headed straight for me.

It made a sharp turn at the last second and ran across the yard and over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

I couldn't have gotten my gun out in time, even if my hands were empty. Good thing that coon was not aggressive, lol.

We went inside and told my folks what had happened and my dad asked why didn't I shoot it; I was carrying after all. I told him I would have had to drop the whiskey I brought for him to even get a shot off. He accepted that response and said that's why you always leave your gun hand free.

I thought the whole thing was hilarious, but a good reminder of how you should always be ready when carrying.

My wife came preassembled with that rule, or at least, the military drilled it into her to keep her salute hand free...just so happens it's also her gun hand.

Me? I would have had to drop the whiskey too. Funny story. Glad you don't have rabies.

You said, "coon":eek:

5C79386F-7FFA-4448-8B50-D03E052D612E.gif

Not really. ;):D

And don't forget that an adult sized boot swung with sufficient force can dissuade 2 and 4 legged attackers.;)
I'd think so, too, except the last time I nearly needed my handgun it was on a Coon hound. The SOB was attacking another of my daughter's dogs. I had that hound by the tail and was kicking the living snot out of it to no avail... Eventually I was able to separate the two and then the hound made it look like he was going to turn his attention towards me. Just about the time my hand made it to the revolver on my hip he changed his mind. I should have followed through, but that's another story.

Last Edited:
Your dad's reminder will probably save you one day. A few lessons here i bet you'll ponder a while. One of them being, if it looks off, be ready.
So, had your dad left the garage open? Did chide him - he's slipping? ;)
Raccoons - interesting opportunists. She would have really screamed if you had shot the critter. :eek:
Whiskey and Coke? Ewww. :D

My girlfriend and I drove to my parent's house for card night around 7pm. When we pulled into their drive, I noticed the garage door was open, which is odd since dad is a retired Chief of Police and never leaves anything unsecured, even in the low-crime town he lives in. He and mom were getting ready to make their annual trek down to Arizona for the winter, so the RV and truck were in the driveway. I pulled off to the side by the Jeep shed and we got out.

I had brought two bottles of whiskey and a 2-liter bottle of coke and had my hands full as we started walking across the driveway in front of the open garage door. My girlfriend was about 20' behind me and carrying items. I had just made it to the front porch when I heard my girlfriend scream.

As I turned, I saw the biggest raccoon running out of the open garage right in front of her and headed straight for me.

It made a sharp turn at the last second and ran across the yard and over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

I couldn't have gotten my gun out in time, even if my hands were empty. Good thing that coon was not aggressive, lol.

We went inside and told my folks what had happened and my dad asked why didn't I shoot it; I was carrying after all. I told him I would have had to drop the whiskey I brought for him to even get a shot off. He accepted that response and said that's why you always leave your gun hand free.

I thought the whole thing was hilarious, but a good reminder of how you should always be ready when carrying.
the rest of the story? the racoon opened the garage door?

the rest of the story? the racoon opened the garage door?
May have, some of those damn things are smart! :D
Long ago I fed them, one morning I hear the container cat food was in fall over. Then hear crunch crunch. I walk out and a Coon runs back out through the cats door. Damn thing had knocked over and removed a screw on lid to the container the cat food was in. Cat was just sitting there watching with little interest :eek:

Your dad's reminder will probably save you one day. A few lessons here i bet you'll ponder a while. One of them being, if it looks off, be ready.
So, had your dad left the garage open? Did chide him - he's slipping? ;)
Raccoons - interesting opportunists. She would have really screamed if you had shot the critter. :eek:
Whiskey and Coke? Ewww. :D
Yeah, I am a gin and tonic man myself.:)

While on probation our Deputies get to "write a memo" if seen carrying anything in their gun hand! To this day I'm conscious about keeping my gun hand clear but working at a school limits my concealed carry options during the week!

Life goes on! :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top