JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not the direction I saw this going lol, but way better, and I can relate. Last winter my little terrier was outside and started making "I am being murdered" noises. I ran outside with my Glock and light, when I saw the king of all racons dragging the dog across the yard. I ran at it, and when it dropped the dog I shot it five time with Ranger 147 T series, super dead. Needless to say when I put it in a five gallon bucket it was so large that its butt and tail were hanging out. It was a good solid 6 gallons of racon. This was the second time in 14 years I got to use my CCW.

They can get big and they are formidable in a fight. My pet 'coon came to weigh 30 lbs. One day hearing a commotion outside, I stepped out to see her bayed up on top of a cedar fencepost and a huge Shepherd-type dog lunging up at her.
She jumped up to miss his jaws and came down on top of his head. He hit the driveway rolling over and over with Cooney still attached. Finally they separated and he took off.

Got a phone call 20 minutes later from the irate neighbor dog owner saying her dog had been ripped from the corner of his mouth to one ear and that I would be paying the vet bill. I pointed out that all of this happened in MY yard. They threatened to turn me in for "harboring a wild animal without a permit".

Another neighbor whose daughter loved coming over and playing with Cooney informed me that the subject dog was already deemed a "dangerous dog" and was on probation for disposal should it ever be allowed off the chain. A quick phone call to the owner whereupon I pulled that ace card.

I paid no vet bill. That dog did not retain possession of his ear.

Running a trap line to supplement gas station income in high school, I set a Havahart on a fox run. Next morning I found that Havahart ripped wide open from the inside (think King Kong escaping from a cage). Hair and other evidence from inside confirmed it had (briefly) held a 'coon. Those cage traps are BUILT to hold. I cannot imagine the size of that animal.

Just gonna throw this out there. In addition to keeping the gun hand free, there is one detail of the story that everyone seems to have missed. The only reason I spotted it right away, is because I did it once before and it almost got me killed. What got overlooked is how in your mind, you were explaining to yourself why the garage door was open. See you had picked up on a danger signal, but immediately explained it away to yourself. There is a book, I highly recommend, its called The Gift of Fear.
Now my particular misadventure ended up with bullets into the other guy, and the opportunity for both of us to learn from our shared experience. Had I read that book before that situation, maybe I wouldn't have explained away what my brain was trying to tell me all the way up to the point every other option had run out for me.

The Gift of Fear.

And I am glad y'all are ok, and it was a racoon.

TWO bottles of whiskey for four people for a card game?? YOU carry a firearm???

WHY?
Maybe because I brought one for my dad to try and one for me to mix drinks with. Maybe bottles of whiskey don't have to be immediately emptied when opened and have these things called stoppers that let you secure them once opened so the remaining whiskey doesn't spill out.

YOU post on the internet???

And since the stupid has shown up in this thread, I must also apparently clarify that I would not have discharged my weapon in city limits for a raccoon. My dad was joking about shooting the coon. He's retired law enforcement and is well aware of the limitations of discharging a weapon.

Really didn't think that I had to explain this, but, here we are. :s0153:

The ageless quandary of what to or not to put in to a fine whiskey or scotch.....in a meeting with a department once the Chief accused me of sitting in the hotel bar and having a scotch on the rocks....in front of everyone I called the Chief a bald faced liar......as evereyone in the room stared at me in unbelief, I calmly told him that there wasn't any ice involved at all!

Just gonna throw this out there. In addition to keeping the gun hand free, there is one detail of the story that everyone seems to have missed. The only reason I spotted it right away, is because I did it once before and it almost got me killed. What got overlooked is how in your mind, you were explaining to yourself why the garage door was open. See you had picked up on a danger signal, but immediately explained it away to yourself. There is a book, I highly recommend, its called The Gift of Fear.
Now my particular misadventure ended up with bullets into the other guy, and the opportunity for both of us to learn from our shared experience. Had I read that book before that situation, maybe I wouldn't have explained away what my brain was trying to tell me all the way up to the point every other option had run out for me.

The Gift of Fear.

And I am glad y'all are ok, and it was a racoon.
I second the recommendation of reading The Gift of Fear: and other survival signals that protect us from violence by Gavin de Becker.

Bought copies for my kids when they were teenagers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top