JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not long ago, I was in a gun store looking at a "Lady Smith" to buy for my wife. During my examination of the revolver, I noticed that each cylinder had powder residue around it and the barrel was dirty too! I challenged their claim that it was NIB. They stated that companies fire a test round from each cylinder and do not clean the weapon afterwards. My question to you you forum members is this. Is that a true statement? Do manufacturers actually fire rounds from each cylinder?
Thanks for your time.

Not that I am aware of, they do test fire but not all five,six or ? The test cases should also be in the box. As far as I know they clean them afterwards as well. The powder could corode the metal over long storage.

I purchased a Taurus Judge that one of the cylinders would not seat the .45 case. There was a machining error. There was no way Taurus test fired each cylinder AND when purchased it came with a sealed small envelope containing one spent cartridge.
My guess is none fo the manufactures test each one.

Side note: Taurus fixed the issue - excellent customer service

Unless you get a factory test target you won't know for sure if the firearm has been test fired....as a general rule, factory guns are cleaned.....never saw one that was dirty NIB.

One manufacturer I worked for (now out of business) test fired by stacking up as many targets as there were guns to ship at the time, firing 3 shots through the stack from up close, and enclosing a target with each gun. Each gun thus came with a target showing a nice tight 3-shot group centered on the X-ring. :D

some of the upper end guns come with test targets, and they will tell you. They usually cleaned the barrel bore, but not the cylinders...go figure. My S&W 627 came with one, so did my Sig P220 super match.

Every revolver I bought new, had come with just 1 spent shell in an envelope.
Sometimes semi autos came with 2 spent shells in the envelope.
But they always looked clean, no powder residue, or brass marks on the gun.

I'ld probably not buy a gun from a shop that tried to lie to me. But it may have been an honest mistake too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top