JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't do facebook so I have been shutout of facebook marketplace but my wife keeps finding all these great deals. I signed up for an anonoymous account so I could look over the marketplace myself and the deals definitely seem better than craigslist. I can't contact any of the sellers without handing over a phone number to verify my account which I don't want to do. She made the connection for me on a ryobi 18v battery deal that I bought but she doesn't want to keep working as a middleman. I am almost thinking about signing up for real account so I can spend more money but then I come to my senses. I am thinking the prices are lower because the audience is smaller. Has anybody else that shopped on both craigslist and marketplace noticed this?

Seems to me that Facebook marketplace is getting more traffic than Craigslist.

As to why prices are lower, maybe because it's real people that want to move stuff instead of having a garage sale or donating stuff.

I have used both in the past few years.

Maybe I'm using it wrong but Facebook marketplace really sux. The search function doesn't make any sense and it's not very intuitive. It makes me basically blindly browse ads by classification. Craigslist on the other hand is very intuitive but has gone downhill, not many posting there anymore. I went several years without logging into my FB account but after hearing about the marketplace I browsed it recently, kind of disappointed in myself. Like a recovering alcoholic knows exactly how long since their last drink, mine was how long since I did the FB thing.

Maybe I'm using it wrong but Facebook marketplace really sux. The search function doesn't make any sense and it's not very intuitive. It makes me basically blindly browse ads by classification. Craigslist on the other hand is very intuitive but has gone downhill, not many posting there anymore. I went several years without logging into my FB account but after hearing about the marketplace I browsed it recently, kind of disappointed in myself. Like a recovering alcoholic knows exactly how long since their last drink, mine was how long since I did the FB thing.
I do find the search function on FB marketplace a little awkward to use. I prefer the desktop version vs the mobile version. For me the desktop version shows how long an ad has been up but I am not seeing that on the mobile layout. The length of time the ad has been up helps me decide on what amount to offer. Home depot had a three pack of Ryobi 18v HP lithium tool batteries on clearance for $200. I saw the same package on FB market place for $120 all new in box. The ad had been up for a number of weeks so I offered him a $100 and he accepted. The charger that came with this three battery kit charges up the batteries faster than the older chargers I already had. My wife was not enthusiastic about mediating the deal though. I may just sign up for a real account and verify it with a phone number. I won't be using facebook for anything else besides the marketplace.

Same crap just larger pool of unsuspecting people.

Should be fine for you to buy low, turn around and sell high. Pretty standard modus operandi.

Same as what happens on here by some people. Right?

Facebook is BS. I decided to sign up an account today and gave them my cell # to verify account so I could message sellers on the market place. Everything was going great until I messaged somebody selling a pruning saw and wammo, my account is suspended. They are offering an appeal process but want me to send in a photo of myself to verify who I am. No deals are worth dealing with this BS so it's back to craigslist for me. Now I know why items are cheaper on FB's marketplace.

Facebook is BS. I decided to sign up an account today and gave them my cell # to verify account so I could message sellers on the market place. Everything was going great until I messaged somebody selling a pruning saw and wammo, my account is suspended. They are offering an appeal process but want me to send in a photo of myself to verify who I am. No deals are worth dealing with this BS so it's back to craigslist for me. Now I know why items are cheaper on FB's marketplace.
I've had Facebook since my kids were teens and they are all adults now, so didn't go through the vetting process they have now. I'm willing to bet that it is harder to get an account because of all the changes to prevent spam bot accounts.

I think it's a good thing that they are making it harder to create an account.

I'm part of the minority of US citizens that don't live within 100 miles of where I grew up, so FB has helped to keep in touch with the family and childhood friends. As well as keep track of those young adult kids as they take flight.

FB Marketplace is just an added benefit. Was able to find some metal peg boards for my home office for a great price.

Sorry it's not wiring our for you @arakboss .

I've had Facebook since my kids were teens and they are all adults now, so didn't go through the vetting process they have now. I'm willing to bet that it is harder to get an account because of all the changes to prevent spam bot accounts.

I think it's a good thing that they are making it harder to create an account.

I'm part of the minority of US citizens that don't live within 100 miles of where I grew up, so FB has helped to keep in touch with the family and childhood friends. As well as keep track of those young adult kids as they take flight.

FB Marketplace is just an added benefit. Was able to find some metal peg boards for my home office for a great price.

Sorry it's not wiring our for you @arakboss .
I have 3 different accounts because I get banned on one for a while and then I use another for a while. There is no vetting process. I will say I got banned for a while for suggesting that women who get abortions should get 20 lashes with a bullwhip like in the old days when we had legal Judicial Corporal Punishment. That didn't go over well. All three accounts got a months ban.

I have 3 different accounts because I get banned on one for a while and then I use another for a while. There is no vetting process. I will say I got banned for a while for suggesting that women who get abortions should get 20 lashes with a bullwhip like in the old days when we had legal Judicial Corporal Punishment. That didn't go over well. All three accounts got a months ban.
Laughing at having three accounts getting banned. Having grown up in The Carolinas, I think I'm part of the last generation that got paddled in school.

I'm thinking public corporeal punishment would put a dampen on crime and overall entitled snowflake attitude.

Laughing at having three accounts getting banned. Having grown up in The Carolinas, I think I'm part of the last generation that got paddled in school.

I'm thinking public corporeal punishment would put a dampen on crime and overall entitled snowflake attitude.
I think its a great idea. Its not really banned per se' . Its just hard to find people willing to administer whippings and lashings. Thomas Jefferson advocated 100 lashes for men convicted of adultery and to bore a 1/2" diameter hole through womens noses for the same offense. Yeah, that Thomas Jefferson.

I think 20 lashes would stop the practice of abortion cold in its tracks and make other forms of birth control much more popular.

Same crap just larger pool of unsuspecting people.

Should be fine for you to buy low, turn around and sell high. Pretty standard modus operandi.
Yup, I've found a few great deals on FB, but it's mostly really flakey people. However, my neighbor has built up a heckuva side hustle by buying and selling generators and home gym stuff, all on FB Marketplace.

Best bargains are found on craigslist under "free stuff."
That brings up one good point about the current culture. A while back Wife and I moved. After we got settled we decided to get rid of a few things. Rather than try to sell I wanted them just gone. So put them up on CL for free. I have never in my life seen so many flakes. I had to take to keeping a list. Pretty soon I would be up to like 15 people telling them each their place in the Que. As each one would not show up I would move to the next one to offer them a chance. Couple items it was up to the 6th or 7th person before one who said they wanted the item actually showed up to get the damn thing, for free:confused:

You should try the app called: "Offerup." Its highly used by folks in the city about 25-45 years old. Easy to upload items for sale, and you can see how many people have viewed your listing. Instead of tossing stuff, ill sometimes list it for a killer deal, and just so I don't have to make a dump run. Lots of city folk just don't want to have to move things so they will list them for super cheap, or free on here. For example this summer we got a HUGE new dining table for free. About 12 feet long and 4-5 feet wide. It was an executive table at some huge building downtown. I have a fullsize truck (which few people have in the city), and we just told the people we can pick up today and that they just need let us know where to go (make it easy for them). Table cost them around $6000 dollars (steel with a wood veneer, and they were re-doing the space. The hastle of hiring somebody to move it paired with having tons of money, means they just want it gone. Lots of good stuff in high income areas like the Bellvue area.

You can also save searched items, and they can notify you when that item pops up. Aka, I bought a new in box Predator 670cc engine for $600 the same day the dude listed it (alert). They rarely pop up for sale, and new at the store they are $1100 after tax. They also have an option to ship items. I found myself in posession of a womens size 6.5 pair of Danner hiking boots, basically new. Nobody local was bying them so I edited the add to allow shipping. Sold to a gal in SoCal, she pays, app sends me a pre paid shipping label, and then I just drop it off at the post office. Only downside is the app takes a 10% cut on shipped items.

I will say though that craigslist still wins for vehicle sales. I have sold quite a few vehicles in the last few years, listing in both locations, and craigslist gets way more traction, even with a worse user interface. But there are all the scammers on craifslist. Not so much offerup as you can leave ratings/reviews of sellers and buyers. I had one scammer on Craigslist inquire about a motorcycle I had listed. Said it was for his mom, and wanyed to pay right away. Dang bike was a 1000cc cafe racer with duel gun racks, no offense, but odds are that he is either a scammer, or his mom needed to go on a date with me. I told him this and got no response, haha

Screenshot_20220913-004051_Gallery.jpg

Last Edited:
Offerup is great for tools as well. Easy to quickly see pictures. I bought a drywall jack off of there used for a big remodel I just finished. Bought it for $180, sold it for $180. Essentially just a free summer long tool rental. Right when covid hit we bought a rowing machine for $1500 on there, used it for 8 month, and sold it for $1900!

Against my better judgment, I sent in a selfie to appeal facebooks decision and after less than a day I checked back and they permanently closed my account??? Now they have my photo and cell number and I have zip. I must be on a list somewhere or they heard all the smack I have been saying about them all these years. I still have access to peruse marketplace via anonymous acct but I will have to plead with wife to have her contact seller if I find a deal to good to resist.

Timing really sucks because there were some deals on field fencing on fb market place that I won't be able to get my hands on. I am going to have to buy that new for double the price.

Offerup is great for tools as well. Easy to quickly see pictures. I bought a drywall jack off of there used for a big remodel I just finished. Bought it for $180, sold it for $180. Essentially just a free summer long tool rental. Right when covid hit we bought a rowing machine for $1500 on there, used it for 8 month, and sold it for $1900!
Thanks for the site suggestion. I just checked it out and can't seem to locate the search box on mobile. I put my phone in desktop mode and the search box briefly shows up but then disappears.

Here is desktop view.

Screenshot_20220913-031555.png

Here is mobile view.

Screenshot_20220913-031237.png

Here is desktop view before I click on search box field.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top