JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dug out a bag with 300 pieces deprimed from Dad's reloading boxes. They've been tucked away waiting to see daylight for well over fifty years. I know he never reloaded these. I assume these are once fired. There are traces of red primer sealant on the edge of the primer cup.

Witout the original primer present, the ability to know those are once fired goes away. Primer sealant can hang around on a primer cup for a while. You have about $30.00 of brass, for the person who doesnt care how many times those pieces are fired. For true once fired brass, 30-06 goes for .15-.20 a piece. Match Brass may give you an extra .05 cents a case. The CMP forum will give you a better idea of market price. Throw them up there as you will find many more M1/1903 shooters there. But be aware, most of the guys I know who collect, shoot and reload for vintage rifle are a frugal group:)

Ted

Edited for an example from CMP for 1x LC brass, which is some of the best stuff around

Once fired Lake City 30.06 brass - CMP Forums

Last Edited:
Thank you for the information and the CMP link.
I had actually registered on the CMP forums a week or so ago just to research this topic.
That link hives me better insight.
Thanks again.

Speaking as a reloader.

Brass made by FA 1958/59 doesn't thrill me, Match or otherwise. Hell, I was born in 1958 and feel my age. LOL.

Now that HXP brass is available in quantity (thank you CMP) my M1 is very happy.

Bolt rifle shooters.....well, they are a different sort of shooter/reloader.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I'm not sure why corrosive primed fired brass would be dangerous to reload, cleaned or not. Corrosive primers will promote rust on steel, but doesn't typically harm brass. I've loaded a copious amount of WWII brass with never a problem. Some people mistakenly think that corrosive primers from the first half of the last century all contained mercury, but that's not the case. Actual mercuric primers were generally phased out in the 1890's.

That said, of course Mark is right; that brass was originally non-corrosive so it's a moot point. It's good enough brass. That old I'd anneal it just to be sure. If it's all the same lot, that's worth something to some people. I sold some '50s era USGI once-fired 30-06 brass for $3 a box a while back (15 cents each). It went so quick that I realized I sold it too cheap.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top