JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WASHINGTON – The Senate voted Tuesday to halt production of the Air Force's missile-eluding F-22 Raptor fighter jets in a high-stakes showdown over President Barack Obama's efforts to shift defense spending to a new generation of smaller F-35 Joint Strike Fighters.

The F22 isn't "old generation" It's different, and IMO a better, more efficient application of technologies in it's specific purpose.

While the F35 is different, it's not nearly as effective as a fighter.

I just despise the fact that Washington makes it sound like it's, "old." I'm sure that the President doesn't understand that just because it's, 22 instead of 35, doesn't make it old. I can't stand that he's suddenly the expert on the matter.

<broken link removed>

I guess their attitude is that if no one has anything better, then what we have is good enough. Same prewar mistakes we made before WW2, Korea, Vietnam. The F-35 is not a long range air superiority fighter. Its a stealthy attack plane designed for short range bombing missions. If Russia or China ever gets their act together and start producing some high quality modern aircraft they might become emboldened enough to resume their communist expansionist policies. Right now, no one can beat us conventionally. They know that. Weaken our Air Force and Navy and in twenty years they might think they can keep us at bay long enough for us to grow tired of war and give up, because that is what we do...:(

The Navy actually would support the F-35 over the F-22 since there are two versions of the F-35 made for the Navy and Marines. There is no Navy version of the F-22 but during Desert Storm and Kosovo contingency operations (we dont call them wars anymore) the vast majority of air to air kills were made by USAF F-15 Eagles. I also found it interesting that even though the F-15 was designed as an air superiority fighter, the F-15E version is one of the most in demand bombers in our current contingency ops. THis is because its size enables it to carry more ordnance and gives it a longer range. The F-22 has also been adapted to carry smart bombs. THe best argument I've seen for the F-22 is a test the air force carried out. THey sent out a force of F-15C Eagles against F-22's at 4 to 1 odds in a few cases. The F-15's were flown by F-22 pilots and were still unable to ever defeat the F-22's. One F-15 pilot basically said "I can see the F-22 but I can't shoot him because the radar or infra-red missiles wont lock on." That's a pretty wicked plane in my opinion...

YF-22 and YF-23 prototypes first flew in 1990. They were in development for a few years under the old Advanced Tactical Fighter program but none were flying as of 1981. Please cite credible sources like Aviation Week and Space Technology or Janes Defense weekly if you think this is in error. Even the F-117 only went operational around 1986 and were first used in combat during the Panama invasion of 1989. After the YF-22 won the fly off competition, a lot of the specifications were changed and the current F-22 is a bit different aircraft. I think it takes too long to place a weapon system in operational service but I'm not the defense secretary. As for the SR-71, I think they may have had something in development or limited use when it was retired, but it was retired during Clinton's great peace dividend military budget slashing party. Now, the Air Force has shifted its focus to UAV's and the F-35 may be the last manned fighter plane the Air Force builds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top