JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm thinking about building a 300 BLK SBR on a stripped AR lower I have laying around. I already have an AR-15 SBR, should I register another lower or should I just get a second upper for the SBR I already have? I have a Trust and would like to do it sooner rather than later (for obvious reasons).

Thoughts?

So I'm thinking about building a 300 BLK SBR on a stripped AR lower I have laying around. I already have an AR-15 SBR, should I register another lower or should I just get a second upper for the SBR I already have? I have a Trust and would like to do it sooner rather than later (for obvious reasons).

Thoughts?

Depends on your goals. Short term, get an upper for immediate gratification. Long term, if you want two dedicated SBR's fill out the paperwork and cut a check.

Would the barrel lengths be the same.
When you stated the overall length on the form 1, can you switch your SBR lower to a shorter barrel?

The upside to sending in the form when you already have an SBR is that there's really no "wait." You can still play with your new toys, you just have to do it on the SBRed lower(s) you already have. It's nothing like that first one... when you checked the mail in anxious anticipation twice a day for 6 months..

The downsides, of course, are that you are continuing to play their stupid bubblegum little game and give them money. But watevs.... that's our situation.

Depends on your goals. Short term, get an upper for immediate gratification. Long term, if you want two dedicated SBR's fill out the paperwork and cut a check.

I don't really care about instant gratification, if I did I wouldn't be into NFA stuff! I probably won't complete the build for another year... I'll probably go ahead and register it.

All this SBR talk is is foreign to me. So if I understand you guys correctly I'm getting a tax stamp on lower even though the short barrel portion is actually the upper... and I can switch the upper with the multitude of different short barrels for one tax stamp so long as only one lower is being used:confused:

All this SBR talk is is foreign to me. So if I understand you guys correctly I'm getting a tax stamp on lower even though the short barrel portion is actually the upper... and I can switch the upper with the multitude of different short barrels for one tax stamp so long as only one lower is being used:confused:
Yep

The reason is because the ATF considers the lower receiver (where all the internal "doin's" are) to be the firearm. The same is true for auto-pistols, and other types of firearms that separate as well.

Another case in point, an AK lower receiver flat, when bent up at 90* angles and the rails spot-welded in is legally considered a firearm, even though no front/rear trunion is attached. :rolleyes:

Not always. The FAL lower receiver where almost all the working stuff is . Same with the M1 carbine and a lot of other rifles and even pistols such as the Ruger .22's. The AR-15 is kind of the oddball in that the part that the barrel goes into is not considered the "receiver" and is not serialized.

The AR-15 is kind of the oddball in that the part that the barrel goes into is not considered the "receiver" and is not serialized.
Actually is it the same with the MAC series of subguns. I have 1 lower but 3 different uppers for it. They all shoot 9mm, but the factory upper has a rate of fire of 1100 rounds per minute (bullet hose), one has rate of fire of 640 rounds per minute but also has a .22 lr conversion, and the 3rd takes 72 round drums.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top