JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you regularly wear eye protection while driving?

• Nope. I have great eyesight

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Sometimes. If I need them to see better (ie. prescription, sunglasses)

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Most of the time. While driving, but not if I’m a passenger.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Eye Pro purist. I sleep with them on!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Had an incident happen the other day that re-enforced the notion of eye protection while driving. I could kick myself for not immediately pulling over and filming the aftermath!:

Was traveling westbound on HWY 26, about 20 miles from the Oregon coast. As a loaded logging truck was passing by going eastbound, I heard an instant ear-splitting POP inside the passenger compartment. After doing an instant self-assessment while maintaining my attention to the road, it was clear that something solid and about the size of a fist had slammed the front windshield right in front of my face.

After the initial assessment, I then saw shards of glass through out the truck. When I finally got out and checked, there was a perfect outline in the driver seat where I had been seated. The rest of passenger compartment was coated in glass shards. As well, the clothes I was wearing had collected the shards while seated. The back of my hands were also covered in tiny cuts, many with glass still sticking out.

The only thing that kept this incident from being a tragedy? Eye protection. I have fired through automobile windshield glass many times in training. Each time we were very careful to over correct for the ensuing glass shards coming back at us. Since then, eye pro of one kind or another has become my standard when travelling in a vehicle.

Now with this experience behind me, it is further proof of the safety value of eye protection outside the shooting range as well.

Respectfully,

Aaron

Glad you're ok, but I'm going to have to risk this one. I'm not wearing ballistic EP while driving.

That said, if I wore or ever do wear prescription glasses, I might look into some with some protection.

@RBB4ME You need an "Other" for your poll... I'm nearly an Eye Pro Purist, but I don't feel the need to sleep with them on...
I universally wear polarized sunglasses while driving or ridin' shotgun, cuz I hate the dashboard showing up as glare on the windshield.
I have both non-Rx and Rx polarized sunglasses (for when I can't/don't want to wear my contacts - hay fever season, etc.).
I wear my sunglasses whether I'm in the driver seat, the passenger seat, or even the rear seats.
Only time I don't wear sunglasses in the car is if it's just plain gloomy out or it's nighttime.

Last Edited:
I've been wearing Oakley RX glasses for years.
My work set has taken some pretty hard hits and the lens while scratched or pocked has held up.
The frame broke in the middle on the one set, that freakin hurt.

I do fall asleep with them on all the time and have woke up with them still on.

I just got another set today for daily use and a price to re-glass my work ones.
They better be able to take a hit from a 416 Barrett for what I just shelled out.

After having laser eye surgery I wear my sunglasses more often. My eyes are more sensitive to light now so I regularly wear them. Not sure how well they would protect me vs regular eye protection type glasses, but hey this thread isn't about that!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top