JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We are unable to reproduce this bug. If you have addition information, please post it in this thread.
Device
Desktop / Laptop - Microsoft Windows
Browser
Microsoft Internet Explorer
@Catherine1 some thoughts:

Does this only happen for the NWFA website, or all browsing activity? If everything, then is it for the one computer in the home or any computer? If one computer then the problem is isolated to it. If everything, then it could be your service provider or it could even be the modem/router going bad.

If the one computer:
Are you able to install either of the Brave or Firefox web browsers? If yes and things improve, then it may be something in Chrome. I would check for installed Extensions in Chrome.

Internet slowing anomalies can often be attributed to an increase in alien, and or cryptid activities. They are in control and nothing can be done about the situation. The activities will eventually slow down and even stop, as the aforementioned aliens/cryptids get bored and move along. In the mean time, just relax and have an extra cup of coffee or something. Be sure to check your six often until things return to normal. Alternatively, reboot your wifi router to see if that makes any difference.

Please disregard post #22. I left the Travel channel playing in the background all night. It seems to have influenced my thinking subliminally. All but that last part about rebooting the router. That has worked for me in the past.

Is a Kindle thing like yours what some people buy to read books online? You order the books to read off of it from a company or subscription?

I will LOOK it up.

I have read books off of my laptop and my OLD long gone desk top larger computer.

I prefer real books - paper/ink but if I can't FIND SOMETHING - I sometimes read it for free online too. I read a lot of international and national news online. Plus I listen to stations from all over the world.

I never heard of a Kindle Fire one and I don't know what SILK or Xfinity are either.

I will LOOK them up.

Sorry for me being dumb or just IGNORANT here on some computer things and words.

Yes, it may have to do with the upgrades too.

Thanks and take care, lady.

Cate
Kindle Fire tablets are built by Amazon and are sold for much cheaper than equivalents from Apple or elsewhere as Amazon's strategy is to give you the tablet for near cost and make money by facilitating your being an Amazon customer for the books and other products used on the tablets or bought through the tablets. I've been using Amazon tablets for books, as they are MUCH easier on my eyes than paper books. For example, I can adjust font, font size, margins, space between the lines, etc. On the Kindle Oasis, a tablet which is optimized for reading, there are mechanical buttons for page turning that make it much easier to lie in bed and read with one hand. Big disadvantage is Amazon tablets are optimized to buy stuff through Amazon environment, but that's the environment I use anyway. And nothing is easier on the eyes or body for reading than a Kindle Oasis. Apple tablets are optimized to sell you stuff through Apple, by the way, and cost about 5x as much. Since virtually all e-books are available as Kindle versions, but most are not available as other versions, If you have an Apple or other tablet you read kindle books using a Kindle app. The Kindle apps work but not as well as a Kindle tablet.

Amazon Fire tablets are color tablets designed for surfing web, watching movies, youtube, etc. I'm an Amazon Prime member, which gives me free one or two day shipping, and many hundreds of free movies, etc. The browser is Silk, which is Amazon's own browser. Its not as good as Chrome, Google's browser, but seems less biased.

Xfinity/Comcast is the high speed internet service I have.

Cheers,
Carol

I just asked you a question above.

Can you hook up a computer to your cellular telephone if you NEED or want a BIGGER SCREEN and to TYPE BETTER?

THANK YOU!

Old Lady Cate
Hey Cate,

If you're asking a specific person a question and you want them to see it, place the "@" symbol in front of their screen name (exactly as it's spelled and it'll pop up in their notifications….. I'll use yours as an example, like so)….. @Catherine1 See how that works? ;)

It really helps the intended recipient zero in as the " @Stomper " would have been highlighted in your post (like yours is above). I had to search around through quite a few paragraphs of text to find your question.

To answer your question(s)…

The vast majority of my internet use is on my iPhone either via cellular 4G-LTE (when I'm out in the field) or WiFi that's connected to a broadband router (at home or at the office).

At the moment I have four >72" big screen TV's (Samsung is my favorite TV brand ATM) hanging on walls throughout my house that also utilize the internet via my mesh WiFi system that I set up in my 2-story house for seamless WiFi connections throughout my property, which is then connected to my broadband cable modem.

I don't have cable TV service (waste of money… "8,000 channels" with nothing good to watch!) but I do use the various apps on my TV's to watch on-demand programs and shows (it's awesome to watch WHAT you want WHEN you want, and start/stop and start again right where you left off!) I can also use the TV's to surf the internet, but I find the interface too tedious compared to just using my iPhone and even a computer.

Computer wise, I have a PC desktop computer in my office that I rarely use except for doing and storing my tax returns on, and I kinda outgrew playing most video games a couple decades ago… nothing wrong with playing video games (unless that's ALL you EVER do), I just get bored too quickly just sitting there.

I also have a couple Microsoft Surface Pro's (for work). They function either as a large touchscreen tablet, or as notebook computer when the removable keyboard is attached to it. It has built-in cellular 4G LTE and WiFi that seamlessly switches from one to the other when I'm in the field or in the office.

@Alexx1401 (below) touches on the next thing that I also do….

Not sure how he is doing it but yes it can be done. Depends on the carrier and phone but many will let you use the phone to make your own "hot spot" for anything WIFi like a computer. To do this though depends on both the carrier and the phone. Since many will not easily allow it. I have never tried it but have seen people on Youtube showing how to do it.

I do indeed use my iPhone as a WiFi "hotspot" at times, and have used it to connect my "smart" TV's to when on occasion the cable internet service has gone down. Last year when we had ice storms that cause a 3-5 day power outage (and consequently took the out cable internet company as well), I hooked our house up to our backup generator for power, then used my iPhone as a WiFi internet access point to be able to watch streaming TV over the (still functioning) cellular network.

I also "tether" my vehicle's "entertainment systems" to my iPhone either via (mainly) Bluetooth or WiFi depending on what I'm trying to do.

Technology is definitely a two-added sword!

Last Edited:
Hey a LOT of us are still learning how the net thing works. I have never been interested in much of it. I just want to play on it not build my own stuff or do "hacks" to make stuff work. A LOT of what some of the young people I work with say to me when they get to talking about it makes my eyes glaze over :D
Software programming BORES the CR@P out of me!! I can do it, but I'm a hardware and (almost any) machine fixin' maniac though…. It's been a pretty lucrative career for me thus far.

LOL, I avoided learning how to use a computer until 2000. We had them at work, I avoided them. Went back to college for CAD/CAM and CNC training so had to learn. Felt stupid with kids younger than my kids in the class who of course could use them. So first weekend I went to the store and bought one and one of those "Dummies" books. Determined to learn. There is a Simpsons episode were Homer buys a PC, then promptly takes it out and tosses it in the trash. I was VERY close to using mine for target practice it was so damn frustrating. I would not let it get the better of me though and finally got to where I could use it to play. Those TI Calculators that are programmable had just come out and we had to buy one for class. Instructor made each of us learn to do Trig by hand. After we proved we could he would download the program on the Calculator for us to use. A LOT of the kids were all kinds of mad. I thought it was fun. Of course I could not even start to do it now as you get dependent on the machine. I have heard for a long while now that cursive writing in no longer taught. That many kids now see it and it may as well be some kind of code they can't read it :(
Just remember, we built atomic bombs and put men on the moon(supposedly... ) with slide rules.

Had the same very slow issue last night but only with NWFA.

It was normal as of early this morning.
I think it was @Joe Link still working on the bugs from the update. Usually happens late at night but mostly after 1:00am in the past, he must be getting too old to stay up that late nowadays. Actually, I believe it's an automated thing. I had the slow issue too but only with NWFA.

Just remember, we built atomic bombs and put men on the moon(supposedly... ) with slide rules.
Slide rules only give you four place accuracy. I doubt that was sufficient for building rockets or getting men to moon or building the atom bomb. I remember back when I was an undergrad you could recognize any science major at a glance because we all carried big leather-cased slide rules along with our books. Basically, you couldn't do the work or take the tests in any of our science courses without a big high-quality slide rule capable of 4-place accuracy and the ability to use it fast.

In the autobiography of nobel laureate physicist Richard Feinman, "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feinman" which includes his work on the Manhattan Project, he describes using and repairing the calculators they used. The time it took the machines to do the many calculations was an issue. So they didn't have computers during the early stage of the Manhattan project. They used calculators which were ordinary office business machines built by and for businesses. Not slide rules. BTW, that autobiography is my all-time favorite autobiography. Its hilarious. Doesn't require knowing any science actually. But full of the ways Feinman approached life and problems of all sorts, which included his own version of scientific thinking along with a good bit of irreverence and inclination toward mischief. He was a new wet-behind-the-ears PhD when he was recruited and sent to Los Alamos. And Los Alamos was a boys school just taken over by the government, some dorms, a huge construction site, and a lot of deep mud.

There were already big computers being used to register students at University of Florida in 1964 when I entered. First men on moon was July 20 1969. I watched it live on TV. So there were big computers at universities used for both research and mundane things at least during the last part of the space program, and maybe the whole thing. The first small computer I ever saw was a Wang that one of my mentors bought for his lab about 1966 or 1967. It was basically a calculator that could do up to eight steps of programming. That was a very big deal at the time.

Edit: Its spelled Feynman.

Last Edited:
I would not know how to use one now but, I remember as a kid an older guy showing me how they worked. Showed me how to do some basic stuff with it. As a little kid it was like magic to me once I could do some simple stuff. :D
Same here. My dad showed me how to use one. My older siblings used them through high school. By the time I got to high school calculators were available but we weren't allowed to use them. No wonder I hate math.

@Catherine1 some thoughts:

Does this only happen for the NWFA website, or all browsing activity? If everything, then is it for the one computer in the home or any computer? If one computer then the problem is isolated to it. If everything, then it could be your service provider or it could even be the modem/router going bad.

If the one computer:
Are you able to install either of the Brave or Firefox web browsers? If yes and things improve, then it may be something in Chrome. I would check for installed Extensions in Chrome.
It is working fine now.

It was mainly on THIS forum but in the past there were issues on many other GUN forums.

I have used Firefox in the PAST on and off. I do not like it or use it any longer.

I think that I tried Brave and another browser whose name escapes me now too. I did not care for them.

Chrome was warned about for some VIRUS and other issues not too long ago, it was all over the news (Computer, financial and regular news.) about it and if you had it on some devices to remove it since there were some major hacking and other computer related issues going on with it. I never put it on my laptop and especially since they had warnings about it not too long ago.

Thanks and take care!

Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews