JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
115 gr. round nose cheepos for practice, lots and lots of practice. Something like a 147 gr Winchester "Personal Defense" for later practice with a self defense load then Hornady Critical Duty for concealed carry. You will feel a difference in recoil between the two weights and your point of impact will be a little different, too. Practice safety, then accuracy. Shoot all you can afford to and as often as you can. Enjoy the XD. I love my .40 S&W.

Welcome to the forum. Ditto what Horses said, safety and practice till the tin cans in Seattle tremble at your name! My wife carries an XD9 and loves it. Seems to function well with just about any ammo we throw at it. 115gr copper round nose is cheap and great for practice. I don't think she's ever had a misfeed in well over 500 rounds down the pipe.

Welcome to the site! Practice with whatever ammo you can find/ afford to shoot! These are evil times for cheap ammo.

PS: An especial welcome, now that I find that you are a woman! IMHO the more females into shooting the better off we all are. I buy SnapCaps at gun shows as individual units from bins. Might check it out. Sorry about your husbands hands, I have issues with mine also. Hurt like Hades sometimes! SRG

Last Edited:
Almost as new as you, guy. Have had my gun for about a month and been to a range only once to shoot it. But on the affordability (and availability!) of ammo here's an alternative a neighbor suggested. I bought a Laserlyte insert for the barrel of my gun that responds to the sound of the hammer of your gun as you dry fire (I use snap caps). The sound triggers a laser light "shot" that shows where you would have hit. That helps you work on your aim, but also helps "train" your muscles to keep on target instead of unconsciously adjusting for recoil. It's an expensive little doo-hickey (about $80) but at today's ammo prices you won't get much practice with live ammo for that amount. In my case, by the time I got to the range I had already "practiced" enough to have a sense of how to sight the target. It also lets me experiment with how the strength and position of my grip influences the shot. Just passing on a suggestion that has helped me.

Clarke46 - I really appreciate the suggestion. I was just getting back on the site because I can't find any ammo! Snap caps - I have only been able to find them in a 5 pk. Is that the way they usually are sold? I like the idea of laser target practice... don't seem to have any other options. Lastly, I'm a SHE-shooter :). My hubby can't shoot because of hand injuries. And frankly, I am just pissed off about what's going on in this country and I will stand and be heard.

Clarke46 - ... Lastly, I'm a SHE-shooter :). My hubby can't shoot because of hand injuries. And frankly, I am just pissed off about what's going on in this country and I will stand and be heard.

Ooops! Sorry, ma'am. I shouldn't have assumed your gender. Is it okay if I say, "You go, girl!"? As for snap caps, you might find a larger package by shopping Amazon, but I didn't see too many options when I looked. Obviously, it depends on the caliber you're after and I was after .357. Spendy little critters!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top