JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a AR-15 that I cant seam to get to extract shells most of the time. The shell stays in the barrel and I cant get the handle to pull back at all. I need to lightly hit it with a dead blow hammer to get it to open up then I need to shove a dowel down the barrel to get the case to come out. It also seams to not want to close all the way after I let go of the charging handle. I'm not sure what the problem is. I have tried over 10 magazines of different manufactures different ammo over 7 different kinds and am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is everything spotless clean? Bolt? Carrier? Chamber? is the rifle lubed?, as they like to run very wet.

Does the bolt close with an empty chamber?

Sounds a little like the gas block has come loose, and misaligned the tube. May also be a problem with/in the buffer/spring/tube area.
Might also be a buggered bolt. Do you have another bolt you could try?

Last Edited:
if the bolt closes easily with no ammo your problem may be the brass is not properly sized. Many 223 reloads I have seen won't chamber in a AR because of the tighter chamber. You can use an RCBS precession mic to measure loaded amo or a sized case. I have one for every rifle caliber I reload for to properly set the sizer die.

Marked as .556 but could not say yes it is at this time. As for reloades these were factory Remminton,Winchester and I even tryed some of my friends wolf to see if that made a differnce and it did not. Also all the rounds were put into a case gauge and they all passed so I just dont understand at all.

I won't say that it isn't a misaligned gas tube.

But for a gas tube to be misaligned far enough that it takes a hammer to cycle the bolt, I don't think the bolt would close in the first place.
Stranger things have happened, though, I suppose.

I suppose if the carrier key was loose and wedging itself somehow, so it was only stuck after the bolt closed on the tube, and centered itself when forced to release?

Too many variables for an internet forum.

Too many variables for an internet forum.

I agree. If it is one of Curt's builds, I also now doubt it is a loose block, causing the gas tube to mis align. Possible but unlikely. I would take it to him and have him take a look at it.
The two times I have had your symptom, was a loose gas block, and a walking trigger pin. The pin came loose on the left side of the receiver and locked up the BCG. Installed anti walk pins in that one (AR pistol) as it took a lot of abuse.
Good luck, and please check back in on this thread and let us know what it was!!

If its not a misaligned gas tube . or out of spec gas key ( i had one of those on a AA 6.5 upper) then to me it sounds like misaligned locking lugs. this rarely happens but does happen mass produced barrels where quality control is not as meticulous as with higher end barrels . If thats the case it will need to go back to factory .

Be it any of the above problems Just Take it back.

I had a similar problem on an AR I built once. I polished the chamber really good and it started feeding fine. In my case the extractor was ripping the lip of the cases. Something to check on your fired brass.

But as other's have said, I'm sure Curt will make it right if you take it back to him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top