JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a market for bigger MOLLE belts, with 3 rows of webbing (around 6 inches tall), and sized for real big dudes? Attached is the size chart from British Tactical, of their Hippo Belt models... I do not see one larger than the bottom, and as a fellow big dude, I am planning either a fixed length, or a 3 piece padded MOLLE/ALICE belt using the FLC/SPEAR belt harness style in OD, and 6 inches tall.. the idea is basically a low cummerbund type, similar to British PLCE webbing, or ALICE, but not worn like a Battle Belt (lower, sometimes on trouser pants).
size-guide-3-row-2015.jpg

Of late, there seems to be a migration to the lower profile, inner/outter belt systems like the Ronin Task Force/Senshi belts and similar. The notion that less is more and the dual belt system keeps everything nicely in place. Lots of folks are making them...Ronin, G Code, Blue Force Gear (I think), etc. I do not know, however, if they come in larger sizes. But somebody might be willing to make you a larger one. Couldn't hurt to ask.

This goes for the style of belt you've posted above. It shouldn't be too hard to simply make a longer belt...in theory. :)

Of late, there seems to be a migration to the lower profile, inner/outter belt systems like the Ronin Task Force/Senshi belts and similar. The notion that less is more and the dual belt system keeps everything nicely in place. Lots of folks are making them...Ronin, G Code, Blue Force Gear (I think), etc. I do not know, however, if they come in larger sizes. But somebody might be willing to make you a larger one. Couldn't hurt to ask.

This goes for the style of belt you've posted above. It shouldn't be too hard to simply make a longer belt...in theory. :)
The double belt system is more of a battle belt kit than what the PLCE/ALICE cummerbund systems are.

What I'm designing to make.. is something more like the British Tactical Hippo belt but maybe 3 pieces and adjustable for the guys with larger than issued bellies ;) by the way, standard US MOLLE FLC rides chest rig high on me because of the real short torso. The CIRAS armor rides better on me if i were to wear armor, and MAV chest rigs rides better if no armor.. but I am wanting to keep most of my torso breathing, hence the belt kit design. ALICE belt pads are not that comfortable for me.. and I can't afford the IDF style Ephod vests or the fixed pocket H Harness rigs offered by Eagle and London Bridge Trading co...

Compare these.
Battle/ war belts; usually requires tucked shirts and relatively slim torsos
ATS_War_Belt_Set-Up_with_Multiple_California_Comp_Works_Shotgun_Shell_Holders_Jeff_Gurwitch_1.jpg Med_SWL_0120.jpeg
Versus PLCE /belt kit webbing a la UK., and UK operators, then belt webbing (Spanish Army); worn over jackets/untucked shirts, and little higher but not "chest rig high"
IMG_3712.jpg
spanish-army-assault-infantry-platoon-during-nato-exercises-in-north-JY8KY4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ive done the inner belt velcro mated to outer belt for my duty rig since 2005. I am now looking at going to a molle duty belt to keep items from shifting. With this rig, plus keepers, you have the most solid setup and it wont ever move around. One complaint I have about my outer body armor carrier is that its more shifty when running vs the duty belt. Its just so much more comfortable and easy to remove when going code brown.

To me, the thick molle battle rigs are either too shifty or make me sweat too much.

For me personally, I have overhangs over my trouser belt, and a flat butt... it doesnt take much for my pants to fall down, and it requires a lot of pressure cranked down on the belt to keep some of my pants up.. which translates to sometimes getting to the point where sitting down hurts :confused: so any of the MOLLE pouches ends up sticking right into my thighs or my spare tire... which is why I'm looking at making a wide cummerbund type belt rig that would ride on where my belly button is, or just thereabouts... as opposed to above like a chest rig/plate carrier/ vest.

For me personally, I have overhangs over my trouser belt, and a flat butt... it doesnt take much for my pants to fall down, and it requires a lot of pressure cranked down on the belt to keep some of my pants up.. which translates to sometimes getting to the point where sitting down hurts :confused: so any of the MOLLE pouches ends up sticking right into my thighs or my spare tire... which is why I'm looking at making a wide cummerbund type belt rig that would ride on where my belly button is, or just thereabouts... as opposed to above like a chest rig/plate carrier/ vest.

Would you use suspension? What all do you plan to carry?

Would you use suspension? What all do you plan to carry?
Yes. Suspenders,(BHI H harness or 1st gen FLC vest panels)... I plan on using the belt more as a waist pack/patrol rig, with a custom waist bag based on the claymore pouch size/sustainment pouch, 2 canteens of 1qt size or 1 of 2qt size, 2 universal ammo pouches (3x AR mags each) or 2 triple shingles, maybe a handgun and a double pistol mag pouch, a compass, some maps,(might use admin pouch for that plus small flashlight) and the rest of gear in a small day/patrol pack.

FAK would be in claymore pouch or in an Jungle insert with pouch cover

Yes. Suspenders,(BHI H harness or 1st gen FLC vest panels)... I plan on using the belt more as a waist pack/patrol rig, with a custom waist bag based on the claymore pouch size/sustainment pouch, 2 canteens of 1qt size or 1 of 2qt size, 2 universal ammo pouches (3x AR mags each) or 2 triple shingles, maybe a handgun and a double pistol mag pouch, a compass, some maps,(might use admin pouch for that plus small flashlight) and the rest of gear in a small day/patrol pack.

Looks like it would ride kind of high. Id count on using a thigh rig for the holster. Otherwise, you'll be kinda chicken winged trying to draw.

Looks like it would ride kind of high. Id count on using a thigh rig for the holster. Otherwise, you'll be kinda chicken winged trying to draw.
Or have the holster more horizontal than vertical..maybe diagonal, around 45 degrees to 60 degrees, depending on where it lines up.. the holster I have is an old Bianchi UM84 type, but I could simply mount to trouser belt and leave a flat gap on the cummerbund to allow draw. I hate thigh rigs by the way. Too dang bouncy even if securely strapped down. I have a relatively short torso to my arm length, but long torso relative to leg length... a bit like a gorilla :rolleyes:

Or have the holster more horizontal than vertical..maybe diagonal, around 45 degrees to 60 degrees, depending on where it lines up.. the holster I have is an old Bianchi UM84 type, but I could simply mount to trouser belt and leave a flat gap on the cummerbund to allow draw. I hate thigh rigs by the way. Too dang bouncy even if securely strapped down. I have a relatively short torso to my arm length, but long torso relative to leg length... a bit like a gorilla :rolleyes:

Here is what I use. Its pretty rigid. Safariland 6004.

D84DAE99-A455-4204-B745-29E5357D3186.jpeg

So I went and made the belt. First attempt involved making 2 sleeves that interfaces with the MOLLE 1st gen vest panels; works OK, but not as good as MOLLE II/2nd gen vest panels which did away with the 3-buckles per panel.... the sleeves want to rotate/sag with the weight of the 6 AR mags and 2 pistol mags and pistol.. but going to a LBE setup with a TT padded harness; it works better without the sleeves :rolleyes:

Specs
1000D Cordura
Mil Spec 1" and 2" webbing
Country Brook 1.5" nylon webbing
40"x6" MOLLE/ALICE padded section; with ridiculous amount of 2" webbing for fat bellies:rolleyes:
14x6.5" unpadded MOLLE/ALICE sleeves for MOLLE 1 vest panels; MOLLE strap stays and 2" webbing loop to stabilize belt locations
Pics of yours truly wearing ECW 1980s parka shell without liner; pouches are Tactical Tailor and USGI Bianchi Holster. Please excuse the slightly unorganied and messy studio apt DSCF2317.JPG DSCF2318.JPG DSCF2319.JPG DSCF2320.JPG DSCF2321.JPG DSCF2323.JPG DSCF2324.JPG DSCF2325.JPG

Pics of LBE system with and without pouches, detail of MOLLE vest panels with sleeves, and comparison to Tactical Tailor Size Medium Modular War Belt (28" MOLLE section, 12" webbing lengths each end). By the way, the MOLLE section is the exact same size as what is found on MOLLE II FLCs, just no friction buckles for the FLC vest webbing
DSCF2326.JPG DSCF2327.JPG DSCF2328.JPG DSCF2329.JPG DSCF2330.JPG DSCF2330.JPG DSCF2331.JPG

I like it. Been putting together my harness and battle belt using the old GI cartridge belts and Molle pouches; haven't made the leap to Molle style belts yet.
GI cartridge belt.... ALICE? I find I hated the ALICE clips if there were no good belt pads, thats why I went to the MOLLE style belts... last one I had; not enough MOLLE real estate to put my ammo where I wanted them to be.... modified FLC belts worked decently, but I wanted something not woodland :rolleyes: USMC FLC vest way too short on the torso for my size :confused: wears more like a chest rig, if I'm gonna have gear up high, might as well go plate carrier/vest/ chest rig instead of the FLC.

A lot of whats on the US market seems to be oriented to wearing with trouser belts, or in that area thereabouts... whereas a lot of whats on the UK market is oriented to a higher area, more "high waisted" in terms of where gear and belt falls... in the same area that I see a lot of "chest rigs" being worn (low, down to upper waist area, below the pectorals/top row of ab muscles). On the other hand, I don't doubt that it works.. although I can see where LBE placed low is better when coupled with backpacks that has padded waist belts/kidney belt:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top