Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Extended Mag on Remington 870: Need Help

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by unionguy, Feb 22, 2009.

1. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

I bought an extended mag for my Remington 870 SuperMag (handles the 3.5" shells too). Problem is: with the extended mag, the orange follower gets stuck on two small indentations at the very end of the original mag; therefore I cannot actually get any extra shells into the magazine.

What's the solution...should I grind out the small indentations to allow the follower to pass that point? Is there any downside to doing this?

Or, is there some special follower I need to get to make the extended mag work?

If anyone has dealt with this, let me know your thoughts! thanks.

2. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure most people just drill these out when they add the mag extension.

3. unionguy

Thanks a lot. Any other feedback on this...would love to be 110% before I bust out the Dremel...measure twice, cut once!

thanks!

4. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

Some where I read you can press a large socket into the tube to remove the dimples and allow the follower to pass by... I was lucky as my 870 didn't have these dimples.

5. unionguy

Thank you...that's a good idea to try first.

6. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

Your welcome...too bad it wasn't my idea...:paranoid:

7. unionguy

Well, I tried the socket method. Didn't work, maybe I didn't have right socket size, but 11/16 was too big and 5/8 was a tad small, as it turned out. I ended up using the Dremel to grind down the indents. Everything seems to work well. Only downside I can see is the shiny spots of metal will be prime targets for the Rustmonster...but I'll keep it clean and dry so that won't be a problem

Thanks guys for responding.:thumbup:

8. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

You might try touching those up with a cold blue pen or bottle of cold blue. They also make a darker black color if that matches your gun better.