JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well it seems to me, "We will stay with you" might be better than one of the lost tribe picking you off at 300 yards and then taking your stores. Do you really think that folks that are at the survival level are going to be polite, or agree with you that they were wrong not to prepare ?

No I do not.

Thats why I have made it clear, lead poisoning can be fatal. and when it comes to it I will make sure it is, they will not get a second chance to take what I have put away. When i come across someone of that mind set I just remind them to enjoy their frivolous spending while they can.

Talk to them, if they don't have the same mindset as you to prepare (thus forcing you to pick up their slack by preparing for them and making go bags for them) then you have to ask yourself if you evn want them with you in some type of family survival group. I try to talk with my family constantly because I don't want to see harm come to them. My dad thinks the US's problems could be fixed by raising taxes and think Obama is the greatest thing since bread came sliced (even after he's lost most of his retirement investments).

Now that sounds like what I've been thinking. I do not think it makes a whole lot of difference what we save, pack away and protect out of fear. Eventually it all comes to the same level in the end. Instead of thinking of myself as smarter, better, and more deserving than my brother, why not treat my brother the best I can, no matter that he would not do same for me ?

Well the point I think that is being missed, is that is your responibility to provide for yourself and family first. (Spouse, kids and / or living in your household or directly dependant on you for substinance. After that whatever you do is fine. But if giving away goods to extended family endangers yourself, family or dependant on you, I belive it is totally wrong. They need to take responsibility for themselves and that starts with preparing for emergencies, whether it is a hurricane, tornado, economic down turn / collapse or a terrorist attack.

I am pretty new to this site.
I have been kind of "serruptitiously" prepping for a year or so now as my wife kind of chooses to keep her head in the sand. Every time I go to the grocery store, I seek out deals on dry/canned goods and buy more than we "need". Whenever bottled water goes on sale or can be had for a good price, I pick up a case. We do quite a bit of camping so I have managed to keep the camping stuff consolidated into one small area which serves as a staging platform in case we ever have to "bug out".
I reload most of my own rifle ammo so I try to keep a couple of thousand rounds on hand at all times, plus a few thousand rounds of .22, 3-400 bird shot, a couple hundred mixed slugs and 00 buck, as well as 4-500 pistol.
If we do end up having to "bug out", my dad lives in West Salem, kind of out in the country, and my good buddy has offered to put us up on his land in Turner, where he has a small, mostly self-sufficient homestead kind of thing going on.
That being said, it is really hard to take that final step towards real preparedness with the wife not 100% on board.
I have been looking into some very long term food storage solutions, like the Shelf-Reliance products and such and started talking to the wife about them today...
She looked at me with that motherly look of good-humor and said, "you know, honey, the apocalypse is not really going to happen..."
To which I replied, "OK, maybe not the apocalypse, but an earthquake, or what if Mt Hood erupts, (we live in close-in, SW Portland), a riot like they had in London last month, any kind of social upheaval."
To which she replied: "you worry too much, we are going to be just fine."

My point, or question, rather, is or has anyone else had to deal with this from their spouse? How do I make her see how important this is without sounding like a total whack-o?

Hopefully some of those who have converted their spouse over to a prepper can help, maybe you should a new thread asking how to convert or convince your spouse,

Recent history is always the best example. Have them read about and maybe watch some youtube videos of what has happened in New Orleans after Katrina, then venture into the Japan quake examples. Top it all of with current news from Vermont.
You don't have to be a tin foil hat, "the world is coming to an end next week" type of a person to prepare for a scenario where there is no power nor water for weeks. Remember that there are plenty of examples of both being taken out by mother nature and being out for over a week. Water can be easily contaminated during flooding.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top