Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Extended family and emergency evac...

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Decker, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

So I'm sitting here listening to the news about the east coast and it got me to thinking... I have done some prep for my own immediate family and if we needed to evac I think we'd be alright but I'm not so sure about my extended family which lives in the same town and only about a mile away.

Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about picking up some bags for extended family members... because i have no doubt that it will still some how come down to everyone looking at us for answers.

I can't imagine I am treading on unbroken ground here so I'm wondering what others have done. I did some research and it seems there's a lot of options out there but these one Two-Week Survival Food Kits seems at least somewhat promising in that it looks like you could add some more specific stuff to it. A lot of the others look like someone took a backpack for a 4th grader and just stuffed some cheap crap in there.

Thoughts?

-d

2. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

well I know I will get some flak and bullets sprayed my way for this, so I put on my bulletproof vest and flak jacket over it so hopefully I will survive.

I looked at the kits $200. to $250. a kit seems high to my cheap @$$. if you are really worried about them buy the each a case of MRE's and case of water at walmart, print out a bunch literature on what coming.

It's been my experience a lot of times extended family members are more of a liability than neighbors, I am assuming they are ignoring what is going on and can afford to buy at least the essentials. Am I cold yes and no, bottom line you need to worry about yourself and your family first, inform family members and they want to get on board great, if not well sh!t happens.

I put together together a small survival kit for two days for a lot of my responsible exteneded family members and mailed it to them or sent it with someone head to their location, a few laughed and some got the message. Those that got the message are already preppers and put the kit I sent them in their vehicle as a get home kit. Those who laughed, well thats life. Those I did not send anything to, well they would have thrown it away or sold it, so thats life everyone has the freedom to chose.

Now have I put away extra food?? oh yeah, there will be people I will help who I know can help me, and allies will be made, but for most they are on their own. Time to get their head out of sand.

For those of you already cussing me, ask yourself are those you are spending your hard earned cash for in buying them a prep kit, the kind who is going to share with you.

A gal I know asked me if I would share my emergency supplies in SHTF, I asked her what she was doing to prepare, she said nothing, I said are you going to share your lunch with me, she said no, I said are you going to share your pay check with me, she said no, I said why should I sacrifice now by doing without the extra's to prepare for what is coming while you have a good ole time and then expect me to take care of you then.

Did I ramble on this yes, but I wanted to get my point across.

Go for it if buying them the kit if you want, but give my thoughts some thought. I have been through hard times and watched some family members just sit back and say well it's not my problem good luck. I have been used by family and so called friends, when it comes down to it if most just don't get it and don't want to, but want you to come rescue them when reality sets in.

BTW, I was not directing this at you, I wanted those reading to see where I am coming from.

3. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

The problem is that there may be people you deeply love who are oblivious now, but needing help then. Some may be children. What if they are your grand children?

My answer is that there's part of the family that can just get lost. I've done my best to talk to them and they've laughed at me. But a couple of my grand kids and my 94 year old Dad? I've simply put up extra for them.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

If your family cares about their survival then offer to allow them a place to store stuff for it. Tell them you will make room for their stuff and it's up to them to put together what they need. It will make them think and if it doesn't then they probably won't make it anyway.

jj

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about kits.

I think you're better-off buying stuff individually than in the pre-packaged kits. You have better control over quality, selection, and you're not buying junk you'll never use (or will fail). However, kits can be a good way to "jump start" someone who's got nothing. They also tend to be (relatively) compact, have items that'll last for about five years (alleviating the question of whether they'll rotate expired items in that time) and they're better than nothing.

One strategy I took with my mom: she's expressed an interest in hiking recently, so I bought her a decent daypack & ten essentials. She could grab a bunch of food out of her kitchen, fill-up the water bottles, and head out the door with that thing & be pretty well covered. So, she's got at "bug-out-bag" ready to go that functions as her day hiking pack the rest of the time. The real question: does she have the survival mentality to make the best use of these items? Hard to say.

6. Gunner3456

I can't hold a couple of grade school kids or my 94 year old father to that standard, even though the kids' parents won't listen. I'll take in the kids and my Dad, but the parents will have to fend unless they wake up first.

7. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

knuckle Head's post reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a kid. I was at summer camp and we all got a chocolate bar (the full size kind). All the kids ate theirs right away, but I did not. I stored it for later so I could enjoy it small piece at a time. Next day I had some of these same kids that scarfed their down expecting me to now share mine because I was the only one with any chocolate.

8. knuckle Head

Decker, I think what you are wanting to do is honorable, did not mean to sound like I was attacking you, I thought about it after posting and thought it might sound like that and wanted to let you and everyone here know this.

Well I have been many situations with family and friends in life and some have been good and others bad. I have always helped those I could when they needed it if it did not put mine at risk. I would help if I could and did put mine at risk, but if it put mine at risk.

Honestly it would hurt to turn away most of my family members others, well I would not have to think twice about it. They have made their beds and built the barb wire between us.

I did not mean to get off topic here. if you really want to put together a kit for them, I would suggest a less expensive route. With school starting small backpacks (or day packs ) are available fairly cheaply at walmart. Buy some Datrex, it is not affected by heat or cold and comes in 2,400 calorie packs with each little cube of 200 calories. Datrex Emergency Food Rations Bars, 10,000 Kj. 2400 Kcal Per Package no water needed. MRE's, power bars, jerky and such a case of water each I can get 24 pack of 20 ounce bottles here at walmart for $3.98 a case. I would include a lighter, hand warmers, candles, esbit fuel bars (for cooking or help start fires), a photon type LED light, a poncho (can be used as poncho and shelter). I am sure you bought bulk (cases of items) and divided them up into 2 week kits you could put together for $100.00 or less and a much better kits than the ready made ones.

As I mentioned above I have put together some small kits for some (once againother would not get it or appreciate it) and from time to when I get a great deal on something I would them little items they will use, some have done the same for me, but I did it like Decker, because I wanted too.

9. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

I lived through the Cuban Missle Crises when I was very young. My mom finially decided to go to the Super Mkt for food (as usuall).
    There was NO FOOD IN THE STORE (just like in "Hammer Fall")
    There were broken sacks of sugar on the floor, soaps, and other non food items. that's it.
    We went to 3 differant markets, they were closed till further notice. I lived nearly 3000 miles from Cuba, in Florida I understand it was worse.
    You can still buy dried beans and rice for about $.50 a pound dry weight. For $100 you can buy enough basic food to keep a family of 4 alive for 3-6 months, depending how much they love thier kids!
    Add 500 vitimins, canned veg and some lard, large bottle of Tabasco sauce, Toilet paper and shovel.
    You've covered the basics for $250.00?
    That food has a long shelf life and you can donate it to a poor family every year and buy fresh stores.
    Nobody said you have to feed your Entire family Lobster every night!
    I have family members that grew-up on Grits and Poor Man's Gravy, 3 meals a day.
    My mom grew-up Poor but she was a fine human being none the less and raised a fine family, me excepted.

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well I'm single and just have to fend for me and the dogs,so I might try to help some

But if you have children or and elderly parent,I would say if the others that are able to work and make a living,aren't preparing themselves,knuckle Head's attitude is the best to have.
    You have to take care of your immediate family first,and any children that will need help .Then the elderly (your order may vary here) But last and least is the adults that have not seen the light.
    They are as prepared as they will ever be

11. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

This is a great discussion and I certainly go back and forth on which route I would go when the time comes.

Oh, and knuckle, no worries, I didnt thi.k you said anything out of sorts.

-d

12. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

The "EASY DECISION" is to buy cheap food while it is cheap and be done with it. (being a hard case here but not everyone will want to survive hard times which will reduce demand). The hard decision is to NOT buy food when it is cheap, and let guilt tear you up as your mom/sister slowly dies saying she blames you for nothing (everything).
    If you have not had this internal conversation with yourself before now, I think it is time you did. We all have to face our collective mortality. Heck You and I may be the first to die yet we both need to have something set aside for our familys to survive on for as long as we can afford.
    Dig a hole in the yard and bury some food or money in a ABS tube? Sure why not!
    More food and less money? Sounds even better!

13. Roxy2711

Roxy2711 Vancouver, WA Member

My husband and I have had this discussion before. While most of my immediate family are not "preppers" they do can their own food grown in gardens and chop their own wood for fires so they have at least SOME skills that would be helpful if at least they would pull their own weight. Unfortunetly, most of his family on the other hand has no skills (unless you count b****ing and moaning as a skill) that would even help us remotely. Luckily it is pretty much just his sister, brother-in-law and their 2 kids so we are building up what we need first and then getting some extras of the basics to LEAVE with them, but I told my hubby that if they think they are getting any of my TP or shampoo they have another thing coming!

I am all for helping those who help themselves, but we do not have the time nor $$ to start donating to lost causes. It will be sad to watch them have a rough go at it, but I have tried to talk to his sister about putting a little extra away and she wants nothing to do with it and actually had the cajones to tell me that she didnt need to store up anything because they would just come to our place... Good luck with that!

There are very tough decisions that we all will have to make someday, better to think and prepare for them now than to get blind sided with them when the SHTF.

14. Gunner3456

Dang, it would be nice if family members would prep. My son won't, but he'd be really handy. He's ex National Guard, has an AR and other weapons, and is young and strong.

What to do?

15. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

Here is how we are looking at it.

This economic meltdown is, as many say, the longest train wreck in history. There has been a long period of time in which people have had the opportunity to 'get it.' Preparing for economic events means that one is also prepared for natural disasters. Or the other way around; prepping for a natural disaster means one will be prepared for supply chain disruptions that are often associated with economic events.

We have mentioned what we think is coming on numerous occasions. If other family have not taken steps, and if things go down, they will have to live with the consequences. They live far enough away that we won't be sending out any rescue vehicles for them. It is highly unlikely they will try to get to our place since it is easier to just sit home and wait for someone to "fix it." We chose to spend time and funds on methodically preparing for some highly likely unpleasant events; they choose to spend money on things like limos for taking girlfriends to dinner, or on cruises and vacations. Hope they have fun down at the soup line.

16. knuckle Head

I would say he is partially prepped, being x-military, this is one of those situations where you can combine resources, knowledge and abilities

17. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

I am married to a wonderful wife and we are lucky to have 4 great healthy children. We have been preparing and putting away what we can for now close to three years. We have talked to our relatives. Years ago they thought we were fools. But by now they themselves are seeing what is happening to our country and are not seeing any of our elected officials really doing anything to fix its many problems. But most of my relatives are still not preparing for anything! Life is the same old life to them. I guess they think everything will turnout O.K.

What are we to do? My wife and I have a family to provide for as best as we can IF something bad happens. Our relatives know how we feel and know some of the preps we have stored away.

If the SHTF will we help them out???? We just don't know. Its sucks!!!! They have been warned and haven't stored anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. knuckle Head

I work with a lady who her and her husband go to church, read their bibles are active in church and clearly see what is going on. I asked them what they were to prepare and they said they have discussed it intently with members of their church and they all agree God will provide. I aksed what about Joseph in the bible, what about the bible saying "if you knew what hour in the night a thief was to appear, you would have stayed awake" (not word for word but close) they looked at at me and said well we can stay with you. I told them fat chance, only fellow preppers who are an asset no liabilities, I will have enough liabilities without added more bodies to help consume my goods.

I run across this a lot, there will be a lot of chaos from from those like the above who do and do not go to church, do and do not beleive in God. God gave us a brain and expects us to use it.

BTW they go out to dinner two - three times a week and have grown son, who just inept as they are.

I ahve family members and friends who think they can do whatever and just sit back and say God will provide, it looks like you, I and many others will have to make a decision, do we let these inept epople burn through our stores and endanger our households or do we say NO. You made your decision now figure it out, BTW better be prepared to back it with lead or they will take it from you and you and your family will starve while they feast.

19. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

Unfortunately intelligence is not provided upon conversion. If one is a moron prior to conversion they will remain a moron after conversion.

It sounds like just about everyone here, including myself, knows of someone(s) who has said "we will stay with you." Amazing. Just amazing.

20. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

Well it seems to me, "We will stay with you" might be better than one of the lost tribe picking you off at 300 yards and then taking your stores. Do you really think that folks that are at the survival level are going to be polite, or agree with you that they were wrong not to prepare ?