JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just applied for my CPL in WA last week. According to the pamphlet they gave me to read when I left it says that when you're CC any accidental exposure is illegal and you could be charged with brandishing.

Just my .02 cents based on what I read recently.

-r

I just applied for my CPL in WA last week. According to the pamphlet they gave me to read when I left it says that when you're CC any accidental exposure is illegal and you could be charged with brandishing.

Just my .02 cents based on what I read recently.

-r

I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on TV. WA is an open carry State and even open carry does not fit the legal definition of "brandishing". You may frighten the horses with a flash and they may call the cops but after checking you out I'm sure there won't be any problems. They would just be doing their job.

If they try to call the cops, arrest, or ticket you just tell them to call all their buddies cause guys have been flashing their male parts at the urinal all day...

Indecent Exposure?
If take a dump and having your pants on the ground with CW is illegal, so should flopping your junk out next to another man.

Am I alone here ?

When Benny503 started this thread two weeks ago, I think the topic was the proper way to control your concealed weapon while answering the call of nature (with maybe a little harmless toilet humor tossed in on the side)

Now, we have shifted to the glories and legalities of "open carry". I dont have any desire to debate the highs and lows of "open carry", I have my personal opinion on the matter just as most people probably do. The same can be said of the whole idea of concealed carry permits for the general public. There is a part of the population that does not approve of the idea and never will, regardless of any argument of rights or statistics, etc. that you attempt to recite. This demographic is constantly bombarded with sensationalized media accounts with the latest shooting news bite and twisted facts from our elected anti-gun officials, which only affirms their perspective and belief systems. This demographic votes and provides support to those same elected officials. The first thing we, as responsible gun owners should do is to not add to and more to the point, not refresh or inflame anti-gun sentiment.

For a moment, try to place yourself inside the head of one of these people harboring anti-gun or anti-permit attitudes. Now, place yourself, with your new "anti" attitude in that restroom. You are just there trying to finish up and get out of there, (to avoid the carnage, as orbrit aptly puts it) when to your side you hear a metalic "clank - thud" "ah dammit". You naturally look over and see a beautiful Kimber Pro-Carry complete with rosewood grips, lying upside down on the floor inside a toilet stall. This objectionable object of mass destruction is then retrieved by an unknown hand, appearing from nowhere. Your mind now commences to run a marathon. "GEEZ, what is this, some columbine psycho - drug dealer - neo nazi - red neck", "Who ever he is he obviously has no training with a firearm and has no business being allowed to have that thing out in public, it could have gone off and killed everyone in here " . You hasten the "shake-off" protocol, and depart post haste, narrowly escaping death.
A week later, you and your chums are enjoying a mocha latte at the local bohemian bistro. CNN on the widescreen starts a story about a local politician complaining about the proliferation of concealed hangun permit holders. You immediately go into your story of your near escape from the grim reaper in the restroom last week. This happy coffee gathering concludes with a re-energized commitment by all to continue to support the efforts of such wise officials as that guy on CNN.
This is how it starts and how it is constantly resurrected, despite all of our best efforts to describe our perspective..... And here comes the part that may p..s off a few of you out there. This little episode could have just as well been a person performing open carry in a public setting. You get the same end result. Most people do not want to see your weapon out in the open. It is annoying to most and down right terrifying to many. Doesn't matter what the law is or your rights are, thats the way it is. When you have your weapon exposed without benefit of a uniform or badge, the general impression is that there is something wrong here. The badge implies that everything is OK, in it's absense, all kinds of possibilities come to mind.

The moral to our scenario ?... "Fuel to the fire"....we all have recently seen the effects of elections in our culture and that the voting majority can not always be expected to share our version of logic. We need to constantly be alert to put our best foot forward when representing gun ownership and use when we are out in the general view of the public. In a very real sense, when you carry, you also carry all of our carry privilages with you each time.
I for one need to carry at times out there, and I can remember a time when it was virtually impossible to get a concealed permit here. What we gain we can also loose, all it takes is for enough people to be negatively exposed to us "gun toting" types, behaving stupidly.....:s0146:

Am I alone here ?

When Benny503 started this thread two weeks ago, I think the topic was the proper way to control your concealed weapon while answering the call of nature (with maybe a little harmless toilet humor tossed in on the side)

Now, we have shifted to the glories and legalities of "open carry". I dont have any desire to debate the highs and lows of"open carry", I have my personal opinion on the matter just as most people probably do. The same can be said of the whole idea of concealed carry permits for the general public. There is a part of the population that does not approve of the idea and never will, regardless of any argument of rights or statistics, etc. This demographic is constantly bombarded with sensationalized media accounts of the latest shooting news bite and twisted facts from our elected anti-gun officials, which only affirms their perspective. This demographic votes and provides support to those same elected officials. The first thing we, as responsible gun owners should do is to not add to and more to the point, refresh anti-gun sentiment.

For a moment, try to place yourself inside the head of one of these people harboring anti-gun or anti-permit attitudes. Now, place yourself, with your new "anti" attitude in that restroom. You are just there trying to finish up and get out of there, (to avoid the carnage, as orbrit aptly puts it) when to your side you hear a metalic "clank - thud" "ah dammit". You naturally look over and see a beautiful Kimber Pro-Carry complete with rosewood grips, lying upside down on the floor inside a toilet stall. This objectionable object of mass destruction is then retrieved by an unknown hand, appearing from nowhere. Your mind now commences to run a marathon. "GEEZ, what is this, some columbine psycho - drug dealer - neo nazi - red neck", "Who ever he is he obviously has no training with a firearm and has no business being allowed to have that thing out in public, it could have gone off and killed everyone in here " . You hasten the "shake-off" protocol, and depart post haste, narrowly escaping death.
A week later, you and your chums are enjoying a mocha latte at the local bohemian bistro. CNN on the widescreen starts a story about a local politician complaining about the proliferation of concealed hangun permit holders. You immediately go into your story of your near escape from the grim reaper in the restroom last week. This happy coffee gathering concludes with a re-energized commitment by all to continue to support the efforts of such wise officials as that guy on CNN. This is how it starts and how it is constantly resurrected, despite all of our best efforts to describe our perspective..... And here comes the part that may p..s off a few of you out there. This little episode could have just as well been a person performing open carry in a public setting. You get the same end result. Most people do not want to see your weapon out in the open. It is annoying to most and down right terrifying to many. Doesn't matter what the law is or your rights are, thats the way it is. When you have your weapon exposed without benefit of a uniform or badge, the general impression is that there is something wrong here. The badge implies that everything is OK, in it's absense, all kinds of possibilities come to mind.

The moral to our scenario ?... "Fuel to the fire"....we all have recently seen the effects of elections in our culture and that the voting majority can not always be expected to share our version of logic. We need to constantly be alert to put our best foot forward when representing gun ownership and use when we are out in the general view of the public. In a very real sense, when you carry, you also carry all of our rights with you each time.
I for one need to carry at times out there, and I can remember a time when it was virtually impossible to get a concealed permit here. What we gain we can also loose, all it takes is for enough people to be negatively exposed to us "gun toting" types, behaving stupidly.....:s0146:

While you have a valid point I would like to point out that you are off topic as well. The open carry discussion derived from the fact that he was afraid because his weapon was visible and not because they wanted to discuss the legality of open carry vs brandishing.

I do see what you are saying, but there has to be some responsible people showing some of those people that are anti-rights that we are using our rights and using them responsibly.

There are many groups out there that irresponsibly flaunt their rights in people's faces and for what I can tell it usually stirs up some people that are against what they stand for, but in the end shows that they are there and want a say in the matter too.

I'm not trying to start any arguments or start any other issues here, but we do need to be out there and educate the uneducated that live in fear of guns merely because for the most part they just don't understand them.

Back on topic I'm a +1 for being more conscious of your surroundings and pick stalls accordingly etc etc. I personally carry in the pocket and don't have this issue much with most pants, but still like to pick a stall that isn't as open to people because I don't want to be snuck up on. Same with seats in a restaurant. The military will do that to you.

It sounds like in this case you were caught by someone that was safe and corrected you and you shouldn't be ashamed of this or frightened because we all make mistakes. Now learn from it and move on.

Happy CC'ing

Interesting..........

StormTrooper.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads