JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Couple days ago I had a really bad stomache. So I went into the bathroom to do my thing. I have a IWB and I carry my P99, I dropped my short and took care my business. (I normal dont do this in the public restroom, but like I said I had a bad stomache). My dad walked into the restroom and saw my firearm stick outside my belt and half of my handgun exposed.

Now the question is... if it wasn't my dad. If some anti-gun &#&#& and decide to call the cops.... how much trouble do I get for exposing my firearm in the public?

What do you do with your concealed handgun when you are not in the public restroom?

I wish there was a single restroom but this is was a restroom along I-5. Due to the weather I was wearing short.
Do you remove your firearm out of your holster and use your hat to cover it up?

From what I've gathered reading other threads, exposing is completely legal. As long as you aren't doing it in a threatening manner. If the crazy guy called the cops, the dispatcher would likely ask what you were doing, how it was presented, and if they actually felt threatened by you for a specific reason (Other than -having- the firearm).

I believe my husband said in a previous thread that he just holds it in his lap.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11586

Thank you wakeadrian... I guess I will be safe if someone see it. I would not hold it in my hand or remove it from my holster in public unless its a life threating sistuation or at the range :)

Oh I see what you mean... he removed the holster he he he all this time I thought he remove the handgun and hold it on his lap. Sorry for the misconfusion.

I wish there was a single restroom but this is was a restroom along I-5. Due to the weather I was wearing short.
Do you remove your firearm out of your holster and use your hat to cover it up?

If I use my hat, I just hang it over the gun. If not hat, I just set it in the crotch of my pants/shorts and close my legs a bit.
Sometimes in the holster, sometimes not. It all depends on what/how I am carrying.
Most of the time anymore, I am pocket carrying, so I just leave it in the pocket (one of the reasons I like this type of carry).

Boy ! This site is really headed for the cr--per. Sorry, somebody had to say it. :s0112:

Regardless of your intent for exposing your weapon, it's never a good idea if you can prevent it, which means prior planning.. If you carry concealed alot, you should consider this a part of safe weapon handling and develop your own technique to keep it concealed.

This raises a second issue that some may not consider at the time. Weapons retention.

Originally Posted by Benny503

In this example, you were carrying on your waistband and because of your condition at the time, your weapon probably wasn't top on your things to think about list. When the trousers hit the ankles, everything is visible. More importantly, if left on your waistband, for a period of time, your weapon will be out of reach and therefore out of your immediate control ! If seen, someone can quite possibly reach under the stall and be gone in the time you jump up, grab your pants, hit your head on the stall, and make your pursuit leap out of the rest room. (Many of us have probably heard stories of something like this happening)

Here are some thoughts:
1) When possible, avoid public restrooms, they're icky anyway
2) I wear shorts when it's hot too. Take it off your waist band and wear a light weight vest with good sized pockets. No more problem.
3 If you dont like putting it in your pants at your ankles, consider the coat hook on the stall door or the seat tissue cover dispenser (aka cowboy hat dispenser) Maybe not a good idea though if you are prone to forgetting things.
4) Holster carry at the urinal. A. Pass up the urinal and use a stall. B. If you carry on the right side of your waist, pick the urinal on the far right side and vice versa

.HAPPY WHIZZING ! :s0155:

Regardless of your intent for exposing your weapon, it's never a good idea if you can prevent it, which means prior planning.. If you carry concealed alot, you should consider this a part of safe weapon handling and develop your own technique to keep it concealed.

Thanks Ob1, yup you are right, prior planning would do.... sometime I am tend to forget. I will try to keep this in mind :)

cyclesarge, good idea. Another perfect excuse to tell my gf buy me another dream firearm :)

I remove my holster from my belt and set my Glock on the toilet roll dispenser or other flat area.
If you have time to take out and lay down a "butt gasket" on the seat, you have time to conceal your carry weapon.

If it's that much of an emergency and you really gotta go, people are not going to hang around once they hear and smell the carnage.

There's nothing illegal about this. Remember, though, not to let it fall. It seems to be extremely common lately for people to let their handguns fall on the ground and go off while in public restrooms. (Of course, I don't know what kind of junky handgun goes off after a fall from a foot, but that's a different conversation.)

This is why I love my button-up shirts, my shirt pocket becomes an impromptu holster for my S&W 908 in such situations. Prefer to avoid these situations altogether but 500 I-5 miles a week have made it a touch more common

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top