JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How would you deal with the exponential growth problem if you were the elite?

1890 population 1 billion people worldwide
1940 population 2 billion people worldwide~50 years doubled
1963 population 3 billion people worldwide~70 years later
1986 population 5 billion people worldwide~90 years later
1998 population 6 billion people worldwide~108 years later
2011 population 7 billion people worldwide~120 years later
2020 estimation 9.3 billion people worldwide projection~130 years later

these are scary statistics to see how much population growth we have had in 120 years.
the 80+year olds could tell you how the fish in rivers were so thick you could walk across their backs in the rivers.~now your lucky to tag one in a season.

the deer were so thick you could hunt from the road and never leave your truck.
i walked many miles and never seen a deer,not even a doe or spike.

the produce in the grocerie stores were picked fresh locally~now their shipped from chillie,brazile,mexico,and pumped full of growth hormones to grow quick enough to keep the people fed....even though due to the chemicals that apple has no nutritional value.

We supposedly reached peak oil in the 1970's when we were about 4 billion people worldwide.so where does that accelerate us to now for running out?

The world is over populated and the people having the most kids are the ones who cant even afford to feed themselves,they live on welfare and have more poor kids that will raise poor kids themselves

so what would you do if you seen the oil being sucked up by some welfare mama in her suv?you know she dont pay taxes to contribute for her foodstamps,gas and consumption.

you know the younger generation is rebellious,hooked on drugs,making more kids they cant pay for leaving even more welfare for the goverment elite to come up with.

so what would you do?how would you propose to thin out the population and preserve the last of the resources?
they could live forever on the remaining fuel and water and in 10 years maybe even restore the fishing and hunting to 1960's levels.

Nature or God, take your pick, will balance the equation one way or another...

Without a unified world, countries will begin to fight over dwindling resources thereby destroying the social, industrial, technological base that could solve the problems. War, famine, pestilence, etc will follow. The earth will survive but be changed. Humans will survive but in reduced number but civilization and technological progress will probably be set back by a hundred years or so. Sooner or later the remaining nation states will start the cycle all over again. The good news is that eventually the sun will nova and it will be over for good.

Have a nice day... :)

Actually in the 1890's there was very little fresh food in the gorciery stores unless they were close to the farms and then only during season. So something like peaches would have been available for maybe 3-4 weeks. Berries less. etc. Fresh meat was hanging. With no refridgeration there was no storage. You had to go to a Butcher, a produce store, and a couple different grociery stores to get your food.

Before you make your assumptions read the history of the Piggly Wiggly Stores And the A&P stores and see what buying food really was like in that time period.

Market hunters had all but wiped out most game in the country and if it weren't for people like the Izaak Walton League Teddy Roosevelt and other early conservationists. The game would have been gone completely by the 30's.

And yes we no longer have things like the Flu pandemic of 1918 which killed somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. So some progress has been made

Your over generalizations are amazing.

"....how would you propose to thin out the population and preserve the last of the resources?"

The most likely scenario is simply coordinated starvation. It has worked well in third world countries and it will work here.

With the planned and coordinated coming economic global collapse a large percentage of the world's population will simply starve off. This is true especially in the USA. Tens of millions. Mass starvation: Not just for Africans any longer.

I can't believe how dismissive and disparaging the first few comments are. Denial is not a river in Egypt, guys!

There is no doubt that without plentiful cheap oil we never would've made it to 7 billion. And although the US peaked in the Seventies, world oil production (conventional) peaked several years ago and is now in irreversible decline. The total C+C peak (crude plus condensate) probably peaked in the past year or two, but we'll only know for sure when we recognize it in the rearview mirror. Today a lot of the production decline is being deliberately obscured by double-counting, like corn ethanol which takes 1 barrel of oil equivalent (BOE) for every 1.1 BOE it yields.

In other words, it's crunch time, and the world's leaders can see it all too clearly. The arable soil is depleting at a shocking rate, cheap fertilizer and transport are coming to an end, and the heating climate is drying up fresh water resources worldwide.

The human population will decline precipitously in the next two or three generations, and there is no way to prevent it. If you were an elite, would you "let Nature take its course," or would you manage the dieoff in such a way that the existing power structure persisted as long as possible?

Remember the Roman empire: decline is a generational event, although it's punctuated by crises and cataclysms. I don't expect The Big One to play out in the next decade, although we'll surely see more resource wars, more plagues, and widespread starvation in the developing world. All I can do is to seek to live the way my grandparents did - connected to community, self reliant, and not expecting an easy or luxurious life.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." - Albert Bartlett

http://dieoff.org/

Well I don't look out at 2-3 generations. I don't see things even being near what they are now in one decade.

At least I have had the opportunity to live 2/3rds of my life. If I die tomorrow so be it. Not afraid of death. Young people are screwed - their future is very bleak.

The fastest solution is to take all the "Sky is Falling people" , Goverment workers, Policiticans, government statisticians, and Sociologist and we sacrifice them to the Crisis Gods. That SHould level the playing field for a couple of generations.

"....how would you propose to thin out the population and preserve the last of the resources?"

The most likely scenario is simply coordinated starvation. It has worked well in third world countries and it will work here.

With the planned and coordinated coming economic global collapse a large percentage of the world's population will simply starve off. This is true especially in the USA. Tens of millions. Mass starvation: Not just for Africans any longer.

Now I know that hat is too tight.

The reason there is all the starvation in third world countries is because they have no BIRTH CONTROL and keep having babies they can't feed
Not a government conspiracy trust me.
You have hookers on the hiways to make money and they become pregnant.They have no idea how to abort,the desire to abort or the medical facilities to do so.
We don't need Bill Gates feeding these kids,we need doctors fixing the people as tro not have more kids for about 5 years
Other countries and here,the religions tell them to have as many little chitlands as they can pop out.In the Middle east its for the fight and for some religions ,god told them to.
Mexico wouldn't have near the problem if every other woman wouldn't have 15 bubbleguming babies.

But it will most likely be starvation.With all the problems the food industry has had in the last couple years,the supplies will diminish and we just won't have the resources to send abroad.

Heck if the governments want to eliminate some folk,a war can be had pretty easily.Provoke someone that has a nuke.Heck that could take care of a couple billion.

I can't believe how dismissive and disparaging the first few comments are. Denial is not a river in Egypt, guys!

There is no doubt that without plentiful cheap oil we never would've made it to 7 billion. And although the US peaked in the Seventies, world oil production (conventional) peaked several years ago and is now in irreversible decline. The total C+C peak (crude plus condensate) probably peaked in the past year or two, but we'll only know for sure when we recognize it in the rearview mirror. Today a lot of the production decline is being deliberately obscured by double-counting, like corn ethanol which takes 1 barrel of oil equivalent (BOE) for every 1.1 BOE it yields.

In other words, it's crunch time, and the world's leaders can see it all too clearly. The arable soil is depleting at a shocking rate, cheap fertilizer and transport are coming to an end, and the heating climate is drying up fresh water resources worldwide.

The human population will decline precipitously in the next two or three generations, and there is no way to prevent it. If you were an elite, would you "let Nature take its course," or would you manage the dieoff in such a way that the existing power structure persisted as long as possible?

Remember the Roman empire: decline is a generational event, although it's punctuated by crises and cataclysms. I don't expect The Big One to play out in the next decade, although we'll surely see more resource wars, more plagues, and widespread starvation in the developing world. All I can do is to seek to live the way my grandparents did - connected to community, self reliant, and not expecting an easy or luxurious life.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." - Albert Bartlett

From Capitalism To Democracy

here is a guy who is awake to the problem.(chemist)

some people just want to keep filling their minds with jersey shore and american idol and pretend that the world can support the growth and never run out of resources.
drink you're flouride water,and get ready for some snookie.

Seems like every time the subject of over population is brought up we have the same responses. Those who think the world is over populated think someone else should die but not them. If you believe the world is over populated do the rest of us a favor, lead by example.

jj

This guy has a history of thinly disguised racist posts,(not that he does not have a point). So far we manage to avoid a pandemic that would thin the population but Mother Nature will not be denied! One day a bug will jump species and take out most humans before we can respond.:s0155:

We're just a bunch of bacteria in a petri dish full of sugar water. The sugar will run out eventually. What can this one bacteria do about it? Nothing except continue to buy guns and go shooting as often as possible.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads