Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Experienced reloaders in the Hillsboro/Beaverton/Portland area??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by theflyguy, Apr 15, 2013.

1. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

I keep running into more and more questions about reloading....so I got to thinking....

Before I BLOW myself up with a mistake....

Are there any experienced reoladers in the Hillsboro, Beaverton, Portland area that would be willing to spend an hour or two with a newbie like me to help explain and/or show your reloading technics?

Reloading is serious business and I don't want to make another mistake!!!

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. tdocz

tdocz Beaverton Member

Pm me. -Tony

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

3. rgold1963

rgold1963 Washington State Active Member

A little farther North than Portland(20 miles) but always happy to show you what I can.

Ron

4. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

What kind of problems are you having? Its all about rhythm. It took me a while to find "my" way of doing it. Watching yt videos helps also.

[video=youtube;4tCJWKaUUCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCJWKaUUCQ[/video]

5. theflyguy

The main thing I'm having an issue with is crimping... How to determine, what it looks like.

6. Modly

Modly Beaverton Active Member

I personally don't do much crimping. I don't do it at all on my rifle rounds, and I only do it on select pistol rounds.

What caliber are you loading?

7. theflyguy

I currently reloading 9mm and .40. I just want to make sure I'm doing things correct...don't want to have another issue with one of my loads.

8. tdocz

tdocz Beaverton Member

You only need a very light taper crimp for those calibers, just enough for the cartridges to reliably feed without affecting headspace.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

9. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

Pull your bullet, if there are heavy crimp marks, back off on the die and try again just until you see a very slight to no mark.

10. vertical ascent

vertical ascent Vancouver Active Member

Crimping is one of those intricacies that you could never write a manual on, you just need to have a feel for it, start with an extremely light crimp and adjust your die as needed. YMMV

11. rgold1963

rgold1963 Washington State Active Member

If you can, measure the crimp on several different factory rounds then adjust your die to get the exact same reading. Really simple to do this way. Make very small adjustments until you reach the amount you need then leave the cartridge in the die and lock it down. Takes about a minute to set up this way.

Ron

12. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

if u seat and crimp in 2 seperate dies,it's much easier,imho. Been doing it that way for years.

13. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Be careful about crimping the .40, it's a high pressure round that can be sensitive to excess pressure. I didn't add a crimp when I loaded .40.

14. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

What mistake did you already make?

15. nwbobber

nwbobber Longview, Wa. Active Member

The dimension given in the case data for 40 S&W is .423 at the mouth of the case, 9mm is .380". Adjust your crimp die till you get there, then try it in the chamber of whatever you are shooting. If it goes part way in and gets stuck your chamber may be tight, your bullet may not be seated deep enough (be very careful here, bullets seated too deep can jack pressures very quickly, find data for the particular bullet you are using, there will be a minimum OAL stated), or you may need to check your measuring device or technique. You can crimp a bit smaller, but the dimension must be large enough that the case mouth is stopped solidly at the ridge at the beginning of the throat in your chamber. Once you arrive at your crimp then work up your load, it introduces a variable that can change pressures, so I go through all these bullet seating, crimp, chamber test, steps first.