JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While at a social function yesterday I was talking to the host and he told me he had a friend who is currently researching the potential development of an indoor range in LaPine and asked me if I would meet with his friend to offer any advice or input.

Although I do not have any specific experience with a range (other than shooting at a few) I told him I would be happy to meet with his friend and gather some information about his plans, and submit them on the NWFA in the hope someone with range development/operation experience would respond with some constructive input and information.

I met with this person today and he has already been quite busy with the basics, such as researching rules, regulations, potential sites and costs related to the development and operation of a range.

His 'rough draft' is an indoor facility with a primary emphasis on handgun shooting. He is considering a maximum shooting distance of about 100 feet with up to 50 shooting stations. He also indicated the possibility of a future outdoor range but locations to coincide with an indoor facility were a concern and not a part of his primary plan.

He also envisions a 'pro shop' with ammo & accessories, possibly a small retail area with guns for sale and rentals for new shooter orientation.

Anyway these are the 'basics' and like I said I would appreciate any and all information from anyone with experience who might be able to 'expand' on what he has already researched and considered - but more importantly some of the things he may NOT have, or given any thought to.

No experience with building a new range but I'd suggest waiting a year or so to see if there will be any gun owners or ammo around. Or at least don't put much money into it that can't be gotten back out. Politics look to play out in a big way over the next several months.

I don't mean stop planning though - please keep right on gathering information and contacts. The more ranges the better.

While at a social function yesterday I was talking to the host and he told me he had a friend who is currently researching the potential development of an indoor range in LaPine and asked me if I would meet with his friend to offer any advice or input.

Although I do not have any specific experience with a range (other than shooting at a few) I told him I would be happy to meet with his friend and gather some information about his plans, and submit them on the NWFA in the hope someone with range development/operation experience would respond with some constructive input and information.

I met with this person today and he has already been quite busy with the basics, such as researching rules, regulations, potential sites and costs related to the development and operation of a range.

His 'rough draft' is an indoor facility with a primary emphasis on handgun shooting. He is considering a maximum shooting distance of about 100 feet with up to 50 shooting stations. He also indicated the possibility of a future outdoor range but locations to coincide with an indoor facility were a concern and not a part of his primary plan.

He also envisions a 'pro shop' with ammo & accessories, possibly a small retail area with guns for sale and rentals for new shooter orientation.

Anyway these are the 'basics' and like I said I would appreciate any and all information from anyone with experience who might be able to 'expand' on what he has already researched and considered - but more importantly some of the things he may NOT have, or given any thought to.
I would suggest he stop by, and take a long look at SafeFire inVancouver, Wa.
A visit there should be well worth the time.
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews