JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well as we all know our firearms aren't exactly cheap, but I think more than a few of us have other expensive hobbies.

my biggest one is race cars and engines, especially weird ones. Currently I'm building a Cadillac 500 and getting all the parts for a twin turbo build....because I'm a glutton for punishment. I've been gathering parts for quite some time and only buying good used and decent prices. Even then I am especially grateful that I have never kept receipts for this as even just in my head it's not a small number :oops:.

my most recent acquisition below is a MPFI setup (custom modified manifold) run on a stand-alone that will also incorporate timing and boost control

and then a wild hare caught me about getting back into ultralights....that's going to be a hard sell to the lady though lol

There's gotta be a few of you guys out there with expensive hobbies also, please share :D

269E82F2-1A76-4151-938A-78F0F464CB5B.jpeg CBC65CB9-A854-4D78-A125-E24FD7487B61.jpeg 8BF56035-F85B-41A3-B5C8-507A9A8618A1.jpeg

Cars are Nuffin, try Airplanes! :D
Currently building my second one of two, almost done and I don't even wanna think about what i have spent! Engine alone (at my cost) would buy a really nice car! Still, it's an addiction with no cure!
Give you an idea, my Tires cost $2000 EACH, and the tail tire/wheel cost $1300 :eek:
And anything Carbon Fiber cost about $500 per pound!
1595910323502.png

Well as we all know our firearms aren't exactly cheap, but I think more than a few of us have other expensive hobbies.

my biggest one is race cars and engines, especially weird ones. Currently I'm building a Cadillac 500 and getting all the parts for a twin turbo build....because I'm a glutton for punishment. I've been gathering parts for quite some time and only buying good used and decent prices. Even then I am especially grateful that I have never kept receipts for this as even just in my head it's not a small number :oops:.

my most recent acquisition below is a MPFI setup (custom modified manifold) run on a stand-alone that will also incorporate timing and boost control

and then a wild hare caught me about getting back into ultralights....that's going to be a hard sell to the lady though lol

There's gotta be a few of you guys out there with expensive hobbies also, please share :D

View attachment 728180 View attachment 728183 View attachment 728184
Ya know, A Ford 460 Intake with spacers will fit a 500 Caddy? I didn't ether, had one in my Wagoneer, best dang engine combo for a 4X4 truck, tons of killer torque, and decent fuel millage if you kept your foot out of it!

I dabbled in Comic art and found that I was waaay out of my league. I thought firearms cost alot. I stopped when a Catwoman cover I wanted went for $6,500.. On the same auction, an X men cover went for 134k. :eek:
I got better things to spend money on, like bills.

Ya know, A Ford 460 Intake with spacers will fit a 500 Caddy? I didn't ether, had one in my Wagoneer, best dang engine combo for a 4X4 truck, tons of killer torque, and decent fuel millage if you kept your foot out of it!

They most certainly do! not quite as common nowadays as we have a few specific to the engine (sorta...its a long story) but they are fantastic truck and towing engines, lots of swaps in the 80's with the chevys as they weight less and out performed the 454 stock to stock.

Currently building my second one of two, almost done and I don't even wanna think about what i have spent! Engine alone (at my cost) would buy a really nice car! Still, it's an addiction with no cure!
Give you an idea, my Tires cost $2000 EACH, and the tail tire/wheel cost $1300 :eek:
View attachment 728192

That is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

I can only admire from a distance as I am familiar enough with aircraft to know how much certified engines can go for (btw is that a Lycoming?).... that is certainly an expensive hobby!!! Heck just hangar space to park the thing can be damn pricey

only time I would ever get back into flight would be another ultralight, which is about as far away from your scale as it is possible to go and still have a prop lol.

I dabbled in Comic art and found that I was waaay out of my league. I thought firearms cost alot. I stopped when a Catwoman cover I wanted went for $6,500.. On the same auction, an X men cover went for 134k. :eek:
I got better things to spend money on, like bills.

That is unreal!!!!!

View attachment 728192

What are you building? Carbon Cub? Kitfox? RV?

Cadillac powered. 205MPH @Muroc and 256MPH @Bonneville.
484 CID, homegrown fuel injection on methanol.
@Red98422 I might be able to offer some pointers on your Cadillac if you want.
Scan copy.jpg

They most certainly do! not quite as common nowadays as we have a few specific to the engine (sorta...its a long story) but they are fantastic truck and towing engines, lots of swaps in the 80's with the chevys as they weight less and out performed the 454 stock to stock.

That is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

I can only admire from a distance as I am familiar enough with aircraft to know how much certified engines can go for (btw is that a Lycoming?).... that is certainly an expensive hobby!!! Heck just hangar space to park the thing can be damn pricey

only time I would ever get back into flight would be another ultralight, which is about as far away from your scale as it is possible to go and still have a prop lol.
When I took this photo, I was still running a 130 HP Rotax, since replaced with a Mountain Motor 428 inch Lycoming making 260 hp, and almost the same fuel burn, and actually lighter weight, by about 40 pounds! Crazy fun to fly, and I can actually accelerate vertically, at least for the first 2000 feet, once I hit 130 MPH, there is nothing it can do, the drag wont let it go faster!
Worse, the new build has a 540 inch Turbo Lycoming, making 440+ hp, and the plane is only 300 pounds heavier then the little red ship in the picture!

@Lilhigbee That is a sexy car! I must say I'm embarrassed to admit I never actually noticed that your in the 200mph club that's a huge accomplishment!!

I'm always open to pointers and advice! Haha not a huge following for these engine like there should be IMO, been following and learning a lot about these engines! Like from the Old cowboy 7 fourm (now the Cadillac forum) amd a few other places.

How do you make a small fortune in aviation? Start with a big one.
Troof!
Actually, I have made money on every plane I have owned and sold! All were flying wrecks needing complete overhauls and inspections, plus engines and propellers done. Biggest money maker was a $35K abused American Champion Super Scout ( very Rare), that I turned into a 200K profit! Only cost me 50K ish, to get it to that point, and DAMN it was a Sweet plane, I actually miss that one and would love to have another one some day maybe! The Cessna Sky Wagon was a really nice bird, but HEAVY and sucked the fuel like a drunkin sailor! Still, they command a premium when restored and upgraded! The PA-18 Super Cub was a 25K investment before the popularity went through the roof, and with all the extra weight removed, all the choice Alaska Bush mods, and really nice paint and covering, turned a really nice profit for me, that one paid for the Red Sorta Super Cub and left me with plenty for upgrades and engines! I make money on engines as well, I'm a full certified A&P so all my buddies are lined up for engine overhauls and upgrades, and I also import ACE engine kits, so if you want a really light weight hi powered Lycoming, I do them and charge competitively, not cheap, but not over priced ether! NO I DON'T DO AIR BOAT ENGINES! LOL

@Red98422 and @Ura-Ki, thank you!! To be clear, the 200MPH Club came in my friend's car the year before I ran this one. I did get in the Muroc 200MPH Club in this one though. A change in the rules at Bonneville forced me to run as a Streamliner instead of a Modified Sports car as I had intended. That made the record I was running against 344MPH instead of 230.
It wasn't as expensive as you would think. With some judicious swap meet shopping and doing most of the work myself I spent about $12K total. Nothing like airplane money at all!!

ETA; If you want to go REALLY fast with a Cadillac, buy this;
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/400mph-bonneville-streamliner/
Probably the only car to go 400+MPH with an iron block, crank and heads. Extensively modified of course, but still stock Cadillac parts to start with. And a HUGE turbo.

I suppose I could afford to have another expensive hobby besides the shooting sports, but that would mean that I have less money, and I like having money more than things, especially when I'm looking at retirement in (hopefully) less than ten years.

Well the sickness continues...deal fell through on a custom pan, but then a deal for this came up.

BOP T-400 short tail
Trans brake
Reverse manual valve body
SFI scatter shield
Supposed to be a pretty trick unit internally as well

drove from Tacoma to Tigard for this piece as soon as I saw it was for sale!

D03B86D6-69F8-4C85-AEFF-8E229377A4D5.jpeg 8F98DBCD-7C17-43E6-AE22-627CBF14E4E5.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads