JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am wondering, I have a couple of guns I have put a few rounds down. 9x19, And I got to thinking, what is the average service life of a semi auto 9x19 in round count from a sig or Beretta? My little p365 has had more rounds through it than I care to consider and the thought has hit me if anybody has worn one of these out. I haven't heard of it with a modern gun that wasn't taken to the sandbox or a range rental (and even those I hear of lots of mechanical failures before the bore is shot out.)

FWIW, I've put roughly 9K through my G19 with barely any noticable wear and zero degredation in accuracy.
I had a CZ SP01 for awhile that was someones ex-comp gun, it had in excess of 20k when I got it and still ran flawless and grouped well.
That said, YMMV.

eta: Barrels really are a wear item, granted very few people reach the point where they need to replace them.

my p365 is somewhere around 20k most likely, well north of 15k. Now there is no degradation in accuracy or reliability. But I always have that nagging voice wondering if I should pick up a spare barrel. The other 9 that has a ton of rounds through it is now an SBR, though it started life as a pistol. It is an MPA defender that I like to shoot a lot.

Following, have a P365 as well. Its the smallest of the 9mm we have Shields are close to that as well.
I have not noticed anything with our use. Granted the P365 sees less use as its for small carry when needed.

I had 38k rounds through a Glock 29 when I started counting. It had ~8-10k before that point. There was no noticeable reduction in accuracy. I kept a pretty close eye on the bore and while I could see wear in the rifling, it didn't have any adverse effects. I gave it to a friend who was in a bind in life and as far as I know, he still has it and still shoots the snot out of it.

I often hear manufacturers, specifically HK, mention their pistols going 100k without major parts replacement. Even if they're being REALLY generous, I don't think 50k is an ureasonable expectation for barrel life.

My 9mm 1911 is going on 60k. Barrel looks fine. Recoil spring replaced every 10k ish and the aluminum frame is starting to wear…but the barre looks fine.

The VAST majority of people will never be able to wear out a gun like this. The one part to replace now and then are springs. If made correctly they do not degrade but with use they will wear out. Have heard of barrels starting to show wear but have never been able to shoot one enough to see that myself. I would have to guess the only people who ever manage to actually wear one out are people who shoot competition and do it fairly regularly.

I never shot a barrel out but the most I've shot out of one centerfire handgun is 55,000.. mainly soft lead bullets. If you shoot max H110 under 110-125gr .357's you'll get accelerated throat erosion so don't do that.

I had 38k rounds through a Glock 29 when I started counting. It had ~8-10k before that point. There was no noticeable reduction in accuracy. I kept a pretty close eye on the bore and while I could see wear in the rifling, it didn't have any adverse effects. I gave it to a friend who was in a bind in life and as far as I know, he still has it and still shoots the snot out of it.
38k through a G29.... I think I got tendonitis just reading about that.

I have the original Canik TP9, about 16K down the pipe. Don't have a bore scope, but looking with a flashlight after cleaning and it's as crisp as new.

I'd say a lot of other parts will wear out before the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top