JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Its a mercenary market out there tbh.
You aren't wrong. Sometimes you have to make your own luck. I'm an independent contractor. That means no benefits, retirement, or even promise of the next job. My pay scale is a percentage of what my boss negotiates with our clients. If he makes more, I make more. We have the same common interest. But there's no real stability so it's necessary to take the long view with personal finance and life planning. My boss is a stand-up guy but this is a business and I know things can change. If it does, I'll figure something out. In that event, I've positioned myself to be self sufficient for quite a while.

I am 35 now but bought my first house at 24. Only debt I had was student loans. Only used my credit card on what I knew I could pay off at the end of the month. Did not waste money on fancy cars, going out drinking, tattoos, etc. Had good credit, saved my money and put down a good amount to get my payment low.

It amazes me some of my friends that have made a lot more money then me don't have a pot to piss in. Stop making excuses and take responsibility for your life choices.

I mentioned earlier that I'm 67yrs old. I was forced into retirement by illness. But I had several careers. Long story. Maybe some wisdom to pass, but nobody asked. What I do want to say is that the path of a lifetime working is not a set thing. If something is not working, or is not getting you where you want to be, do something else!!

I am 35 now but bought my first house at 24. Only debt I had was student loans. Only used my credit card on what I knew I could pay off at the end of the month. Did not waste money on fancy cars, going out drinking, tattoos, etc. Had good credit, saved my money and put down a good amount to get my payment low.

It amazes me some of my friends that have made a lot more money then me don't have a pot to piss in. Stop making excuses and take responsibility for your life choices.

This.

I know people who work at intel making the big bucks or other trades well off and they've complained about money being tight and tough times. Yet I see multiple cars and projects around the house and the latest fancy thing and always on time for trips!. Never understood how its hard to just say nah I don't need to spend right now just wait for a sale or lets just save up just in case.

I dont own my own place yet but I mean you would think if you are making more it'd be wise to control your spending. I get middle class is attacked relentlessly by everything.

At 28 Ill bet im tougher than 98% of my generation, Built my house (1800 sqft) by hand...Hammer nails and hand tools. I regularly shoot 4570 , 350 mag, Milsurps with the dreaded metal buttplates until im bruised and or tear skin. I grew up climbing trees with spikes at 15 de limbing for grandpa and cutting 20-30 cords of firewood and handsplitting for the community up in the valley. These modern day worthless cry baby liberal Sheets piss me off, whenever i hear someone say recoil im expecting to hear a story of shooting a 13mm mauser or 14.5 PTRD. These mouse gun ar15s dont recoil and sure as hell arnt noisy! What really gets me spun up is " your words hurt my feelings" F ' off cupcake i got lots of adjectives and descriptions to label your bubblegum with. Really annoys me that my tax dollars gotta pay for some fruitloop bundle of sticks to sit on there bubblegum and do nothing because they are "disabled" or "mentally stressed"..WTF? Basement dwelling tit suckers.. What went wrong is we got soft as a country and currently have no hope without mass genocide and Revolution... Stepping off the soap box now.

How is my not liking the way someone looks half the problem? I am not discriminating against anyone. I might beotch in private, or even here, and it makes no difference, has no effect in anybody's life. But my folks taught me to be polite to people, so you won't see or hear me being disrespectful, badmouthing, making snide comments, giving the stink eye, etc, in person. I'm still allowed to think as I please. So what?

Mr. bbbass, in no way was my comment directed at you or anyone else in particular.

I am sorry for not being more clear.

Based on your earlier post we learned that you are helping to solve this disconnect by mentoring kids in an awesome way.

Thank you.

In addition to my last comment, I'll say:

Younger folks would do well to not be the very things that make a "millennial" such a derogatory term.
Work hard, save, be humble, fight for the truth and what is right, don't be so sensitive, respect your elders, on and on I could go.

The real issue is and as an example, when I was growing up, the whole family sat down for dinner together, we didn't wear helmets when riding our bikes and most times our Dads would help us build our "Evel Kinevel" jumps in the street. I had a BB gun when I was about 6 on up until I was old enough to shoot "real" guns. We didn't have car seats when we were little and Mom made us go outside to play. We had to be home within about 10 mins. of the street lights coming on for dinner and if you didn't like what was for dinner, you went hungry 'cuz Mom wasn't gonna make you anything special. No one and I mean no one was lactose intolerant or gluten sensitive and I honestly can't remember any of my schoolmates having a peanut allergy. I can't count the number of times I got my butt beat by my Dad and practically every grammar school teacher I had.
I think all of that lack of "safety" and the lack of special care weeded out the weak.
We are a nation of weaklings now. God help us!
Then again, I remember my Grandad and all of my Uncles saying these same things.:)

Last Edited:
And you better eat EVERY thing on your plate, and if there is left overs, they get divided out to the kids to finish it all off! And don't even think of leaving any of that Milk behind ether!

Remember when you had 10 seconds to get downstairs and eat or else! Or just 10 seconds in general and heard each number counting down with more tone and anger behind it?

Remember when dad had that leather belt with the BIG bubblegum BRASS BUCKLE on it or bamboo sticks or a fishing pole?
Remember when working with dad you got called every name in the book for being new and inexperienced with any job you were helping him with?

Remember when you had 10 seconds to get downstairs and eat or else! Or just 10 seconds in general and heard each number counting down with more tone and anger behind it?

Remember when dad had that leather belt with the BIG bubblegum BRASS BUCKLE on it or bamboo sticks or a fishing pole?
Remember when working with dad you got called every name in the book for being new and inexperienced with any job you were helping him with?
The sound of that black leather belt snapping through the belt loops as he drew down on you to proceed to whip your butt! :eek:

The sound of that black leather belt snapping through the belt loops as he drew down on you to proceed to whip your butt! :eek:

When they would take it in both hands and snap the belt. That sound alone threw more fear into you than anything else.

Or grandmas old wooden spoon on top the fridge with holes in the actual spoon head for aerodynamics.

When they would take it in both hands and snap the belt. That sound alone threw more fear into you than anything else.

Or grandmas old wooden spoon on top the fridge with holes in the actual spoon head for aerodynamics.
My Grandma was like some sort of Ninja with a switch! That old woman could move when she wanted to and there was no way you were gonna get away!

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads