JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I wonder about the recoil of an AR even in 308. If it is recoiling that bad in my opinion you might have a serious problem you had best figure out. Something is not right.

I do not think highly of the 556. It has limited purpose , it is not in my opinion a good big game round and there are better rounds for defense depending on the situation. For instance in a home invasion i would choose the following order of precedence: shotgun, pistol, then AR,.....
IMHO

While observing some of the differences in generations - here's another: Covering oneself in 'look at me - look at me' things like masses of tattoos in what's called 'public skin' by those in the biz and skewering oneself with holes and filling the holes with things like large safety pins or other dubious metal objects, disfiguring ears into old, mud flap looking things made of human skin and tissue, all with the goal of being thought unique, except for all the other knuckleheads doing the same thing...

Celebrity is not bought by permanent disfigurement, be it accomplished with wholesale ink placement all over one's body or junk metal filled punctures or tissue stretching.

Doing this sort of thing isn't accomplishment.

Anyone willing to spend a lot of money can look sad...and ridiculous covered in this diseased looking garbage.

Take the money spent on this and put it towards getting an education.

lol, tell us how you really feel about people who enjoy things that you don't like.... skewering, disfiguring, mud flap, disfigurement, junk metal, sad, ridiculous, diseased.... maybe, just maybe these folks are not out to impress you, and maybe, just maybe, they have different views on what looks good, and what is interesting.

it also just may be that that is all ok, and no more right or wrong than a pair of 501's, a button up flannel, and thoroughly bent ball cap. If you don't like it, that's ok too, just don't expect them to actually listen to you about firearms, politics, or anything else for that matter, if you hold that kind of attitude towards them.

lol, tell us how you really feel about people who enjoy things that you don't like.... skewering, disfiguring, mud flap, disfigurement, junk metal, sad, ridiculous, diseased.... maybe, just maybe these folks are not out to impress you, and maybe, just maybe, they have different views on what looks good, and what is interesting.

it also just may be that that is all ok, and no more right or wrong than a pair of 501's, a button up flannel, and thoroughly bent ball cap. If you don't like it, that's ok too, just don't expect them to actually listen to you about firearms, politics, or anything else for that matter, if you hold that kind of attitude towards them.
You may have also inadvertently proven that the grey man concept is regional and situational. Double bonus points!

Man, this is a weird thread.

+1

• IIRC, It's the Boomers who invented "Safe Rooms" in the '70's in NYC as a response to the rampant crime back then.
  • When I was growing up in the '60s and '70s, individual responsibility was imbued into us both at home and the school systems. Teachers did spank and hit. I do not see that being taught in public schools that my kids attend. So, responsibility comes from home or the kids won't have it.
  • The more removed you are from society and government, (and mind you, I think the mores of today's society are forked), the more responsible you will be. If not, you're already dead.
  • What recoil is accepted or tolerated has a lot to do with perception. Media portrays the AR as bad, bad, bad, and that it's too powerful, etc. Sheep read that and bleat nervously. My son, a bean pole, wanted to shoot my magnums, I had him start exercising to bulk up. Gave him a reason and he did. When he shot the 338 Winmag, it quickly became his favorite rifle. My GP100 in 357 Mag is his favorite pistol.
And remember, moderation is for cowards! Ballz to the wall!
I tell my kids, "think before you act. If it's something you think you'll regret, don't do it. If you are going to sin, go large, enjoy it for all you can, and take responsibility for what you do."

I just liked geology, and the idea of doing a lot of work in the field. I wasn't really thinking about my future.
I too studied geology as an undergrad. Loved working in the field, drinking a cold beer after a hard day, and studying physics, chemistry and math, which are all required in the discipline.
I graduated during a long recession, where oil was <$1/gallon and there were few manufacturing jobs. Went to work as a welder at a small manufacturer and ultimately became an engineer. No regrets, no resentment about my choices.
No one owes me doodly squat. I don't expect the government to provide sheite either.

DB,

There are always exceptions...

Do gang bangers look like bangers, but we shouldn't judge?

Do hardcore meth heads and/or junkies look like drug addicts?

I could go on, but I'm sure you get my drift...

Gavin de Becker wrote "The Gift of Fear".

His book points out that sizing up folks is generally in your best interest...

Totally get it, Manny...I also deploy the rule:

Don't do things with Stupid people at stupid times at stupid places...it's worked for me.

Serious question...

If a millennial offends a boomer, will the boomer need a safe space?

No. We were raised by WWII generation that required kids to be tougher people. At worst, we might stage a sit-in...

Everyone I see bubbleguming.

Don't like the young crowd? Mentor them.

Don't want to? Get out of the way.

Can't get over their choice of style or how they look?

You're half the problem, at least.

Kindly, Heyjoe.;)

How is my not liking the way someone looks half the problem? I am not discriminating against anyone. I might beotch in private, or even here, and it makes no difference, has no effect in anybody's life. But my folks taught me to be polite to people, so you won't see or hear me being disrespectful, badmouthing, making snide comments, giving the stink eye, etc, in person. I'm still allowed to think as I please. So what?

Find the ones who have a chance and help them any way you can! Think of it sort of like the matrix, you are the woke, and they are the batteries, find the ones you can save and woke them!

I'm not woke. I refuse to be woke. And I'm not one of those retired people that needs a cause to feel that my life still has purpose. So, while I am perfectly willing to mentor those in my circle or sphere of influence, I'm not going to go out and look for people to charge up.

Cultures change over time...
We are not the same in culture today as we were in 1776 , 1860 , 1944 , 1968 etc....
Values and cultural practices will also change over time....
Some values and practices will stay....others disappear...that is the nature of things.

Andy

And, the more things change, the more they remain the same... When I was a kid, my dad used to complain that all the kids wanted to be different, but all looked the same. That factor is still in play today. We just have more variety of "different".

When I was 18, all I really knew was I was really good at science and math, loved the outdoors, and had an opportunity to go to school without much debt. I didnt really think about the job market at all, I just liked geology, and the idea of doing a lot of work in the field. I wasn't really thinking about my future.

When I graduated, I moved to portland with my band to play music, wound up working for a body jewelry manufacturer just to pay rent, but within a few years, I was an engineer there making decent money.

It was a great experience, especially since I'm not in debt, but life is full of coulda woulda shouldas.

You could probably make some real good money inspecting septic drain fields and doing percolation testing. Even on the side. Took our county 87 days to get someone out to perc test our land and do a soil study.

Millennials are stuck in this silly protracted childhood because boomers are still limping along in the workforce, holding everything up, when they should be retired.

Thank you Bill and Steve!

Signed, Gen X

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR