JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
YES.....some folks like mica powder applied, with a case neck brush on the inside of the mouth.
I use this.
1641925268036.jpeg

Dip just the neck in it and twirl. It might seem like a PIA, but that's what I went with because it seemed easier than getting in the neck with an applicator of some kind. and the graphite residue has no chance of fouling powder.

Yup....that chamfer of the case mouth helps too (which I forgot to mention). Flat base or BT bullets.....I don't usually run into problems.

Ooops.....I also forgot about "lube". Noy only for the outside of the case when resizing brass.

YES.....some folks like mica powder applied, with a case neck brush on the inside of the mouth. Then, some like regular case lube (that doesn't affect the powder). A tiny bit, just wiped-on-the-inside of the case neck opening/mouth is enough. It helps with taking away the "squeek" when the expander button is going through.

Then IMHO.....bullet seating might just be improved too

Aloha, Mark
Haven't been lubing inside neck mmm can't hurt long as it's in moderation. Maybe a dab on a neck brush or q-tip. THX

Maybe a dab on a neck brush or q-tip.
Get a plastic bore brush slightly larger in diameter than the caliber and one of the short RCBS handles and when done sizing, trimming, flaring etc. give 'em all a quick neck brush with just a little lube on the bristles. A little goes a long way and you just want it to be on the 'dryish' side - not sopping wet with lube.

IMG_2833.JPG

Lee Dies 7.62x39mm. Hummmmm?????

I thought that I had a LEE set too.

But, it turns out that I have an RCBS set.
Anyway...there are two expander buttons in the case.
The info/papers included say it's because the set was intended for use with .308" and .311" bullets.

Maybe you're dealing with the same thing?

IIRC.....it was the same with my dies for the 7.62x54r.

Aloha, Mark

PS....BTW, the paper said that the die was preassembled to use .311" bullets. That expander button measured in at .3075".

Then....the paper went on to say that if I intended to use .308" bullets, a .30 caliber expander ball is furnished and must be installed on the expander-decapping pin. That "other" expander button was in an unopened/new package. No part# or scanning bar code on it. I opened the package and the button measured in at .3055".

By the way.....
I also found a package of 5 new, "headed" de-capping pins in the box.

LOL.....the decapping die uses the "regular" style of decapping pins (i.e. w/o the head).

Last Edited:
More info for you.

I also found my Lee set of dies for reloading the 7.62x54r. The paper included with the die set says that it's for use with the .308" bullet. YEAH, Yeah, yeah......never mind about the bore diameter of the typical Russian firearm using the 7.62x54r cartridge. Anyway....measuring that expander button it comes in at .305".

I had purchased an additional expander/decapper for that set, intending to load .311" bullets. Part# SE2358. That expander, measures in at .308".

Aloha, Mark

Commercial brass is harder than military. Thus, it is more likely to shave that ring of bullet jacket when seating flat base bullets. However, accuracy shooters use VLD (Very Low Drag) case neck chamfer tools to avoid this and make even boat tail bullets easier to seat. That and developing a feel for the seating process. As I posted in the .303/7.62 bullet thread, if you are getting buckled cases, either expander plug is too small, case chamfer is insufficient, or you are just hurrying. Here is but one axample of the sharply angled VLD chamfer tools.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 6.01.17 PM.png

Commercial brass is harder than military. Thus, it is more likely to shave that ring of bullet jacket when seating flat base bullets. However, accuracy shooters use VLD (Very Low Drag) case neck chamfer tools to avoid this and make even boat tail bullets easier to seat. That and developing a feel for the seating process. As I posted in the .303/7.62 bullet thread, if you are getting buckled cases, either expander plug is too small, case chamfer is insufficient, or you are just hurrying. Here is but one axample of the sharply angled VLD chamfer tools.

View attachment 1106457
That is an excellent tool I have one. Very handy.

View attachment 1106457
More info for you.

I also found my Lee set of dies for reloading the 7.62x54r. The paper included with the die set says that it's for use with the .308" bullet. YEAH, Yeah, yeah......never mind about the bore diameter of the typical Russian firearm using the 7.62x54r cartridge. Anyway....measuring that expander button it comes in at .305".

I had purchased an additional expander/decapper for that set, intending to load .311" bullets. Part# SE2358. That expander, measures in at .308".

Aloha, Mark

My in
That is an excellent tool I have one. Very handy.

So my bad everyone. As it turns out yes a mild inside chamfer does wonders. And it doesn't hurt that my FA brass prep center comes with the high rake chamfer.
Today I circled back to the 762x39 and applied everyone's suggestions. Nice ammo being completed. Does not hurt that I scored some new Starline recently.
Thx NWF community!

image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews