JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks everyone, there has been some excellent advice offered. I am still not sure if I can carry one though. I guess I will have to ask a couple of Cop's I shoot with and get their opinions. (probably should have done that first.)
L.

Well, i know that private security officers here in Oregon can carry a collapsible baton, and we are not police. There is no official certification from the state DPSST that gives us permission to do so. If we can carry it, so can you. We have the same powers in that area just like a regular civilian.

Here is also a resource u may find useful.Expandable Baton Laws

I am an armed guard and I have my CHL as well. I have been trained on batons but I was never given my papers to show I attended the class (boublegum employer). I am not sure if the avrage joe can take the class, but since I am Security I know I can take a class for $75 and get certified and have proof that I was trained to use the baton, pepper spray, and handcuffs. If something does happen and you end up using the baton or pepper spray, I think it will look good in court that you had training and you knew how to use what you used in a self defense situation.

I would agree that you should have been formally trained in use of an impact weapon before attempting to defend yourself.

Other than that I know of no law forbidding you to carry one around here. I have carried one concealed for 3 years, knowing I usually am pulled over just to show it off to local LEO friends.

The problem I have heard of is usually training first. Escrima and Kali arts use batons and train with it first, its a part of many other arts both in long and short form.

The argument over if long or short is the best is a matter of physical size and physical capability, after that its a matter of legality.

Insurance companies usually wont bond a security or LEO officer unless they have completed a basic program. Limitations from what I have heard in the security fields (supervisors) and LEO (instructors, retired LEO) is that anything over 18" in length wont be insured.

instructors that are on duty currently can challenge and get a 24" approved for duty use.
ONLY EXEMPTION I HAVE EVER SEEN was a court deputy (who is a certified ASP instructor) carry a 26" ASP.

I own a 31" ASP and have carried it usually EDC next to the tactical pen (EDC) Kershaw leek (EDC).

now the issue of concealed to me has never been an issue (I dont have my CHP I dont believe that one should have to get one) all that I have heard is that I should be carrying my 45 instead.

I dont wander from my place much anymore so its kinda moot point for me to need to conceal much of anything so it usually hangs in front of my pistol

a handy extra step to help retain your gun if an idiot tries to get at it!

extra step on the use of force scale as well!

need to get out of your car ?... get the cap with the ceramic tab for tempered glass

dont want to be too mean?... humane rubber tip?....

dont want to bang it to put it away? get the leverlock ASP

yes to batons its a good thing

I replace my ASP with my taclight uses the same holster.

honestly though its not the deadliest thing I carry EDC

thats my taclight its about 1" in dia and about 6" long breakes any joint or bone without much power

no license no CHL no worries about lawyers in court acting like its a bad thing to own

oh and some people cant tell the difference between my flashlight and my ASP

oh and buy ASP or buy it twice I bend anything else like a cheese stick on one hit
oh the aluminum ones are disposable!
if you get a spring baton (highly illegal in both oregon and washington) you dont have to worry about it breaking as its a handle and 2 spring coils with a big solid steel nut on the end

but its highly illegal and as scary for me to use on you as it is for you to attack me with it. honestly I would laugh at a pitiful untrained user with a springbaton your going to break your hand in the first 1-2 swings.

dont carry one unless you have trained in FMA or some baton art

oh and a double yes to any cane! I am disabled and should get one but you want to get one thats solid and wont BREAK! other than that they are great defensive tools for a elderly or disabled person

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top