JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is not legal in Oregon. In Oregon we have a Concealed Handgun License. This prevents you from concealing any rifles, large knifes, batons, nun-chucks, etc.

not sure if above statement is correct

Under ORS 166.240, it is illegal to carry certain weapons concealed (it is not illegal to carry weapons other than firearms openly, mind you). What weapons?
"any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person"

You will note that baton-like implements are never mentioned. However that last part "any similar instrument" could be interpreted by a police officer and the court to cover them.

Oregon's concealed carry licenses are called "Concealed Handgun Permits" (per 166.291) so they do not apply to weapons besides handguns.

So, because the law is not all that clear, carrying a baton for self-defense would be a calculated risk that only you can decide if you are willing to take, based on these pros and cons:

That being said, I would carry one and not broadcast it around.

I do carry concealed, I am considering carrying a baton as part of "that escalating force continuim" Since a knife is considered lethal like a handgun, that only leaves pepper spray or a baton(or mag light) as an alternative to lethal force. pepper spray in a perfect world might work as a deterrent but in a knife attack I would prefer a baton. When dealing with an intoxicated or "chemically" altered individual pepper spray is pretty ineffective. I was just curious if any one else was thinking along these lines.

I do carry concealed, I am considering carrying a baton as part of "that escalating force continuim" Since a knife is considered lethal like a handgun, that only leaves pepper spray or a baton(or mag light) as an alternative to lethal force. pepper spray in a perfect world might work as a deterrent but in a knife attack I would prefer a baton. When dealing with an intoxicated or "chemically" altered individual pepper spray is pretty ineffective. I was just curious if any one else was thinking along these lines.

Depending on how jacked-up a "chemically" altered individual is, a baton isn't real effective either.

I propose that your estimation of pepper spray is incorrect. GOOD QUALITY, fresh, brand-name pepper spray will simply shut down (almost) anybody, no matter how drugged or drunk they are. It does not matter if they feel pain or not, the capsaicum causes involuntary swelling of the mucous membranes and eye tissues, causing immediate blindness, coughing, and breathing difficulty that cannot be resisted.

Pepper spray has an iffy reputation for several reasons: it has a shelf life, and weakens with age---stale stuff will not work well. I only buy brands with DATED cartridges that have a "use by date"; pepper spray needs to have a good dose of mist in the face and inhaled---often a mis-aimed or short range spray or stream does not give a strong enough dose to the eyes or nose (a "narrow cone" of mist is better than a stream); and finally, about five percent of humans and dogs are truly immune to pepper spray effects.

If you chose a fresh, good quality pepper spray with a long reach, the odds are very good that it will be effective---and it is perfectly legal to carry. Myself, I recommend the "Mace Pepper Gun" as it is a brilliant, useful design that truly works well............................elsullo

This is one instance when having to use a cane is a benefit for me :D It's solid ebony... a single sharp whack to the side of the knee would make most people sit down quickly... I'd use it before drawing if the scenario warranted. So if you don't/can't carry a baton, you can always get parkinson's and carry a gnarly cane. But I wouldn't recommend the getting parkinson's part :s0114:

I don't recommend it, but I too am busted up enough to rely on a cane to get around, a fabulous weapon carried constantly in plain sight quite innocently. It's not some "fighting cane" that a prosecutor could bias a jury with; it's a cheap "stockman's cane" from a farm supply company (Leman's.com). Oh, but it IS solid one-inch diameter hickory wood that is so hard it rings like a bell! As far as the progression of force goes, it is unlikely that I will ever need to pull a pistol..........................elsullo :D

When they had the class for concealed here at OSU one of the instructors had a collapsible baton. I asked him if it was legal and he said it was but he wouldn't recommend it since it was easy to get charged if you dont know how to use it. He said the biggest problem was most people hit in the same spot instead of in multiple areas. If you hit in the same spot you will get screwed.

As for pepper spray we had some *** clown that used to randomnly taze or spray people thinking its funny back in the day. I know the one time I got hit it just pissed me off more.

o and he recommended a kubaton, since it can be taken almost anywhere and if you learn how to use it you can do some serious damage. I asked a buddy about it and he said he watched a girl mess up a guy that was getting to friendly out at the bar awhile back.

o and he recommended a kubaton, since it can be taken almost anywhere and if you learn how to use it you can do some serious damage. I asked a buddy about it and he said he watched a girl mess up a guy that was getting to friendly out at the bar awhile back.

In the right hand they can do some bad damage.

As for pepper spray we had some *** clown that used to randomnly taze or spray people thinking its funny back in the day. I know the one time I got hit it just pissed me off more.

I suspect you were sprayed by some stale and inferior product that the clown bought at a flea market or gunshow. Fresh, quality brand pepperspray will put you on your hands and knees---ask any cop who has been a test subject.

Funny true story: in the late 1980's the drug gangs were taking over Tri-Met, the public bus system in the Portland area. They loved being able to assault a blue uniform that could not fight back, until some bus drivers used pepper spray for self defense---very effectively. Then some bad boy Crips tried to get revenge and hosed a driver with their own spray, but used stale stuff that was not at all effective. The driver just got REALLY angry and proceeded to thrash several of them until they all fled into the night. After that the drivers got a reputation for being too tough to mess with and the Crips left them alone!.......................elsullo :s0114:

Having previously been trained and certified on the use of collapsible baton through the American Council on Criminal Justice Training, i can say that using it to strike a person's knees is not the intended use of the collapsible baton. The proper techniques for striking are across large muscles, and not across joints. The collapsible baton can also be used in a raking motion with its tip going down a person's sternum, with little pressure applied. Trust me on this, it isnt very pleasant.

Another good alternative as a less-than lethal defensive instrument is an electrical stun device or a taser.

Thanks everyone, there has been some excellent advice offered. I am still not sure if I can carry one though. I guess I will have to ask a couple of Cop's I shoot with and get their opinions. (probably should have done that first.)
L.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads