JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
do you think this pandemic and civil unrest will push an exodus to more rural living? Ive been wanting to leave this state or at least to a more rural setting for a long time and i think this is the year for me to make the switch.

I would have to say some who can, are looking to get out of the cities. Many who end up in places where this crap show is going on get kind of stuck. If you own a home in one of these places would you be able to sell now without taking it in the shorts?
If you have a job there that you have had for some time would you want to quit? When we had 3% UE it was easy to move jobs. Now this hoax has seen us go back to depression era UE. Not a good time to quit a job and try to find another. So a lot of these people will have to suck it up and do the best they can. If there is any silver lining to this I still hope come November some of them think about who they have been voting for who did this too them.

do you think this pandemic and civil unrest will push an exodus to more rural living? Ive been wanting to leave this state or at least to a more rural setting for a long time and i think this is the year for me to make the switch.

Funny you bring this up. I have been thinking on the subject.

Last year I saw a show on how millennials are leaving the cities and living in small towns.
This all being made possible by telacomuting. [What is a telephone right?]

Covid has really shined a light on telacomuting and how well it works. And I think companies are paying more attention to anything that can save them money during this down turn.

So I expect many people will be moving away from cities. And living where life is a bit simpler and quiet.

For me as a contractor i dont have a set commute and im thinking adding an hour to my drive round trip would be a good trade off

Funny you bring this up. I have been thinking on the subject.

Last year I saw a show on how millennials are leaving the cities and living in small towns.
This all being made possible by telacomuting. [What is a telephone right?]

Covid has really shined a light on telacomuting and how well it works. And I think companies are paying more attention to anything that can save them money during this down turn.

So I expect many people will be moving away from cities. And living where life is a bit simpler and quiet.
Yep! When this "lock down" started I said many of the top down wana be dictators again are going to see the unintended consequences of what they did. When commercial property starts to sit empty because in many places it's no longer needed ? Some places the cost per SQ FT is like gold. That results in huge tax money. Places no longer needed? Tax money dries up and watch them scream when they suddenly have no money coming in to hand out to the scum.

For me as a contractor i dont have a set commute and im thinking adding an hour to my drive round trip would be a good trade off
When Wife and I moved it turned my Commute to about :40 from :15. Was fine for me as I work nights so freeways are freeways. Now if I had to sit in traffic not moving for an hour? I would go nuts. Of course every time someone tries to build more road to undo all this congestion guess what happens? So much fighting that it costs a 100 times what it should so nothing gets done.

Not as much as you think. This pandemic threw some cold water on people screaming for affordable housing and density in places like Portland and Seattle . If you're in a condo and have no choice but to rub shoulders with your neighbors , yea, you want to get some space now . If you're sitting comfortably in a single family house, work in tech and thus can work from home through end of the year , and have everything delivered to you at a push of the button, why move? The infrastructure supporting that type of life is only going to get stronger and with that infrastructure there will be jobs to support it , also in the cities. Rural living seems nice for many right now, but when people look at increased friction in access to education, healthcare , transportation , the romance will wear off.

As mentioned, for those that can, there will probably be an increase. Maybe more renters than owners?

In some areas, like downtown Portland, my guess it is more renters than owners.

OTOH, my guess is that a lot of renters in downtown Portland prefer to be there to start with. I don't know - I have never lived in a downtown area of a large city, only occasionally a small town. When I lived in medium sized cities it wasn't close to downtown. So I can't speak to that. I think for some of those people it was about how close they could be to their workplace.

Lots of factors.

But there will be some who will consider this as one more reason to move out, hard to say how many. I am glad that I left any kind of incorporated community almost a decade ago - that was always my goal - it just took a while (as in decades).

Not as much as you think. This pandemic threw some cold water on people screaming for affordable housing and density in places like Portland and Seattle . If you're in a condo and have no choice but to rub shoulders with your neighbors , yea, you want to get some space now . If you're sitting comfortably in a single family house, work in tech and thus can work from home through end of the year , and have everything delivered to you at a push of the button, why move? The infrastructure supporting that type of life is only going to get stronger and with that infrastructure there will be jobs to support it , also in the cities. Rural living seems nice for many right now, but when people look at increased friction in access to education, healthcare , transportation , the romance will wear off.

You get used to it. Sure, if you have kids, education can be an issue, but so is safety. In my community, the local rural K-8 is well loved and considered very safe compared to city schools (FWIW - three generations of my family attended that school, my father and his 3 siblings, myself and my brothers, and my nieces).

As for convenience, there are some tradeoffs. If you are acclimated to urban living, rural living may not be your thing - no Thai or Indian food takeout on the corner, you need to plan your trips into town better, a longer commute unless you can telecommute, dealing with traffic.

It is, IMO, just a matter of what you prefer.

Having grown up on a farm, being an Aspie who hates noise/crowds that grind on me - I vastly prefer where I am at now. I can sleep soundly with all my doors and windows wide open (only screens to keep pests out) if I want. I have mistakenly left windows open and even doors unlocked when I am not around, and not had any problems - not recommended, but much less risky than in the city. No problems with theft, no drunks mistaking my door for that of their ex-GF, mostly peace and quiet.

We sold our city dwelling and bought a new house and land with a shop in September 2019, I consider that it was perfect timing. The lockdowns including my local range didn't effect me as I can now shoot at home. Now, the timing of my cancer diagnosis and treatment four months after moving was not very convenient timing. Oh well, at least I get to have three to four years of quality life to enjoy it. Watch the classifieds for a large gun sale shortly after I go quiet on here, lol.

2 - 10 acre parcels down here on the west side of the Willamette Valley can't stay on the market no matter what the price. Each new listing I see pop up one ups the previous on price and they are under contract by the end of the first weekend. You don't see properties stay on the market until they are priced at 7 figures and even those are moving fairly quick. Even junk manufactured homes that haven't been kept up are bringing $400k - $500k depending on the property they are sitting on.

We sold our city dwelling and bought a new house and land with a shop in September 2019, I consider that it was perfect timing. The lockdowns including my local range didn't effect me as I can now shoot at home. Now, the timing of my cancer diagnosis and treatment four months after moving was not very convenient timing. Oh well, at least I get to have three to four years of quality life to enjoy it. Watch the classifieds for a large gun sale shortly after I go quiet on here, lol.

I am sorry to hear this. I lost my younger brother to cancer last year, he was only 44 years old and left behind a wife and 2 kids. I've been thinking of getting a .44mag revolver and have his name, dob and dod engraved on it as a memorial, and perhaps also carrying it with me as I explore WA, which is a new home to me having moved from CA.

I hope you'll pull through.

I am sorry to hear this. I lost my younger brother to cancer last year, he was only 44 years old and left behind a wife and 2 kids. I've been thinking of getting a .44mag revolver and have his name, dob and dod engraved on it as a memorial, and perhaps also carrying it with me as I explore WA, which is a new home to me having moved from CA.

I hope you'll pull through.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm similar to your brother, turned 40 this year, have a wife, and four kids. I'm planning on being around for a few more years. The docs say average is slide to four but I'm young and stubborn.

2 - 10 acre parcels down here on the west side of the Willamette Valley can't stay on the market no matter what the price. Each new listing I see pop up one ups the previous on price and they are under contract by the end of the first weekend. You don't see properties stay on the market until they are priced at 7 figures and even those are moving fairly quick. Even junk manufactured homes that haven't been kept up are bringing $400k - $500k depending on the property they are sitting on.

THIS is the same here in Clatsop County. We have been looking to by a house with property (1 acre plus) for 6 months. We get out bid every time by someone from CA with cash for at least 50K above asking price. Some don't last a day on the market. The availability in this area is like 7%. So I would say YES. :confused:

There's defenitly a mass exodus from California! My area is getting flooded by them

THIS is the same here in Clatsop County. We have been looking to by a house with property (1 acre plus) for 6 months. We get out bid every time by someone from CA with cash for at least 50K above asking price. Some don't last a day on the market. The availability in this area is like 7%. So I would say YES. :confused:

Oregon is a popular destination for tech workers from Silicon Valley who have made their money and now wants to retire in comfort, I have at least one colleague who is looking at retiring in Oregon. These are folks who have millions of dollars in cash from selling start ups to larger companies and/or IPO with their employer, if you get into a bidding war with them, it'll hurt.

The good news is that even richer ones, billionaires, prefer Florida so at least you won't be bidding against people looking at having their own private helicopter landing pad. :D

Oregon is a popular destination for tech workers from Silicon Valley who have made their money and now wants to retire in comfort, I have at least one colleague who is looking at retiring in Oregon. These are folks who have millions of dollars in cash from selling start ups to larger companies and/or IPO with their employer, if you get into a bidding war with them, it'll hurt.

The good news is that even richer ones, billionaires, prefer Florida so at least you won't be bidding against people looking at having their own private helicopter landing pad. :D

Yeah, I noticed! lol

A lot of houses getting cash offers over asking price around here. it's really bad and driving prices through the roof. Makes it impossible for local people to buy a home. Bad part is they bring all their bs politics that ran California into the ground with them and ruin this area.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top