Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Existing guns and moving to WA

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Decidion, May 26, 2010.

1. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

I was searching around and couldn't find anything, but I was wondering about this. If I currently own guns and move to Washington state, do I have to do anything special? Do I have to (crazy as it sounds to me) transfer my weapons to myself via a FFL?

Thanks!

2. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

As long as the guns are legal in that state, you don't need to do anything.

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

In the remote chance that you own a Class 3 weapon, you can own it in WA, but you will not be able to use it.

Keith

4. Decidion

Thanks for the info :)

5. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

That's true for silencers but not machine guns. WA outlaws all MG's and makes no provision for prior ownership moving into the state.

Any other semi auto legal in OR is legal in WA and you do not need to do any transfers.

I hope you're moving to Longview or somewhere further North. Those of us stuck between Kalama and the river are really nothing more than second hand Oregonions. Particularly if you happen to live in WA and work in OR :paranoid:.

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

For silencers, yes.

SBS/SBR/FA, no go.

7. batcat6

batcat6 Vancouver, WA Member

I hope you're moving to Longview or somewhere further North. Those of us stuck between Kalama and the river are really nothing more than second hand Oregonions. Particularly if you happen to live in WA and work in OR .

I moved to Vancouver from Florida. Does that make me a 2nd hand Floridian? :bluelaugh:

8. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Pack em up, toss em in the car/van/trailer, and come on up... and welcome.

There IS a significant advantage living in Washington and working in Oregon... no income tax, cheaper property tax, and you can pull off buying in Oregon and not even paying sales tax... although, according to law, buy a pair of twelve dollar britches in Oregon you are SUPPOSED to calculate the USE tax and forward it to the WA Revenue folks.... whuduz, though?

One more advantage... you can apply to an Oregon County Sheriff for an Oregon Concealed Handgun License (particularly if you already have a Resident permit in OR) as a non-resident..... ONLY states contiguous with Oregon can do this. But you MUST have a permit from your residence state to do so.

As to the arms themselves..... they're yours, no requrements whatever, no paperwork, no notice, no Mother May I...... except the federally registered REAL weapons... machine guns, etc.. "some resrtictions apply"...

9. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Thanks folks, I didn't know that.

Keith

10. Decidion

Great info, thanks folks :)

I actually already have both my Oregon and Washington CHL and would be moving to NE Washington...Ferry county. I know I'll have to talk to both the Oregon Sheriff and the WA Sheriff about the CHLs when I move.

11. bcp

bcp SW WA Member

If you work in Oregon, you pay Oregon income tax, no matter where you live.

http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PERTAX/faq-qa_forms.shtml

Residents of other states working in Oregon: Oregon taxes nonresidents on Oregon source income (wages, monies earned in Oregon, income from the sale of Oregon property, etc.).