JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i need to get in shape.. period..

i used to be in great shape when I did warehouse work.. I was 6' tall and weighed in at about 160lbs of pretty much all muscle.. I was VERY skinny but not anorexic looking, my body fat was under 8% surprisingly because I ate terrible!

almost 6 years after I left that job for a desk job, I am still 6' tall but about 210lbs now of pure fat :s0114:.. I have next to no muscle anymore :(

So I cant afford a gym membership or expensive home equipment.. So I am thinking more more natural route for now.. Pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups and so on.. And serious cardio as well so I can run from zombies :D

Anyone have any advice on a good at home program and how to get started and tracking progress?

There are alot of VERY steep hills in my area so maybe I could start to walk and progress to run them?

Last Edited:
You just need to get some cardio, and high intensity workouts. Get your heart pumpin for atleast 30 minutes 3-4 days a week.

I did crossfit for 6 months and I basically dropped 25lbs, and even though I have stopped doing it (its spendy), I have kept the weight off with light exercising.

Jump roping also kills.

Focus on doing multiple high repetition exercises in series over and over.

Example:
5 pullups full body weight
25 crunches
200m sprint
25 air squats
No rest in between each exercise and then Rest 2-3 minutes after the cycle, repeat cycle 4 or 5 times.

Thats the beauty of crossfit stuff, you dont need any fancy gyms, you just use your body and simple machines like a pullup bar or jump rope.

If you *download* stuff try getting P90X, my buddies are all using it and its just like crossfit, it works great for them.

Watch and track everything you eat and drink for a couple weeks to see what you are taking in....then reduce/cut the wasted calories...(soda/beer/drive thru/etc)...start small, walking around the neighborhood 30-45-60 minutes and increase the speed/distance as you get more fit.

I did this beginning mid January and have dropped almost 50 pounds and several pant sizes and a shirt size.

Yeah, if you're starting from scratch like it sounds you are, look at the P90X. I've known a few folks that have jumped into that after not being gym rats at all, and the results thus far have been spectacular.

I'm a gym rat and I've been considering picking it up to change it up. And I'm normally a cheap bastid when it comes to anything other than a gym membership.

I would do a couple of things:

1. logon to Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness and check out their workout-of-the-day (wod) and do it if you can. Sometimes it requires specific equipment. Today's is run 5k, have fun with that. You can also cherry-pick the wod, like yesterday's:

Five rounds for time of:
225 pound Deadlift, 15 reps
20 Box jumps, 24 inch box
25 Pull-ups

just skip the deadlifts.

2. Get fitted for proper running shoes from an actual running shoe store.

Go hard.

I agree with Wayoutwest. Nutrition is the primary element for getting in shape.
Quit doing the forklift!
Drink lots of water, reduce the salts and sugars that are prevalent in processed foods and start moderate physical exercise...walking, crunches(instead of sit ups) and as many push ups you can do without ripping a muscle.
And quit eating four hours before you go to bed.
Good luck...and always remember, never forget, most of it is mental. Start slow.:s0155:

Will

i need to get in shape.. period..

i used to be in great shape when I did warehouse work.. I was 6' tall and weighed in at about 160lbs of pretty much all muscle.. I was VERY skinny but not anorexic looking, my body fat was under 8% surprisingly because I ate terrible!

almost 6 years after I left that job for a desk job, I am still 6' tall but about 210lbs now of pure fat :s0114:.. I have next to no muscle anymore :(

So I cant afford a gym membership or expensive home equipment.. So I am thinking more more natural route for now.. Pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups and so on.. And serious cardio as well so I can run from zombies :D

Anyone have any advice on a good at home program and how to get started and tracking progress?

There are alot of VERY steep hills in my area so maybe I could start to walk and progress to run them?

A gym membership can be far more reasonable than you think. I personally am in the process of joining the YMCA with financial assistance, which would give me 20% off making the monthly fee just under $30 a month. There is a joining fee but I'm willing to bet if you talked with someone and explained that you can't pay the $100 joining fee, they may be able to work something out...

Just a thought!

On the free side, extreme amounts of stress work great, I lost 10lbs last month on my stress routine... I still wouldn't recommend it though :)

While nutrition is number one for sure, IMO 75% of it, exercise is important and building muscle will make it much easier to burn fat.

I agree with Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness and making the workouts of the day work for me.

This is a good way to do it, they scale the workouts down for you:
CrossFit Brand X Forum| CrossFit WOD

I have a pull up/dip stand, used some tie down straps and pvc for exercises that call for olympic rings, a couple kettlebells and and old 110lb weight set.

BTW they subscribe to the Zone diet, but really anything that is lean protein, whole grain carbs, and things that grow will do it.

Good luck to you!

Forgot to add the basis for all of these crossfit or p90x etc is high intensity interval training combining strength and aerobic conditioning in one.

6' 2" @ 180#

Calories in < Calories out.
No sugar, no HFCS, and no alcohol on 'school nights'.
Summer is perfect, get outside more and grill meats and veggies on the BBQ.

Work hard. :s0155:

Surprising amount of exercise I'm getting from a few golf clubs and the whiffle golf balls. Great fun too, when you whap one that would go 200 yards in a real golf ball it goes about 40 feet, so you can do it in your yard or park.

Not that this is a full exercise program but you can make one out of lots of little fun things.

I'll second the no HFCS sentiment. That stuff is no good for you. A pretty good rule of thumb if you're trying to improve your diet/health is: Don't Eat Anything White. Sugar, bleached flower, etc. Take that to the extreme and you're done with donuts, pizza, cookies, cheese, ad nauseum. Try it for a month, it's brutal at first but then you'll notice (or at least I did) you'll sleep better--and less, have more energy, and just in general feel better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top