JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very interesting post. I teach High school science, and regularly bring up the Carrington Event possibility with my students. I dont know a ton about our electrical grid, but I know enough about our Sun for that scenario to freak me out a little. The complete modern collapse of most 1st world nations ways of living for a decent amount of time. I am way more concerned of natural EMP events than human caused ones. Our capacity to generate an EMP should be theoretically minuscule to the amount of energy the Sun could generate for an EMP. But yes. Just think about every daily routine that would be hindered by a lack of working electronics. Pretty crazy.

I just stumbled on to this thread and the accompanying Presidential Order.. A lot to read right there, and all I can say is, IT'S ABOUT G*DD*M TIME this issue was given official scrutiny at the highest levels! It's an unthinkable event, but then so was a "plague" that near shut down the entire country for two months- until recently...

'Lights Out" is an excellent EMP based novel by Daniel Crawford from arfcom.

That is a great read. There is also another great book with the same title by Ted Koppel. It's non-fiction. It focuses on grid-failure in general, and includes many possible causes, including the EMP of course.

Probably most gun safes would provide a faraday cage, you could get some spare old laptops, ham radios, etc in your safe... be prepared to lose power for a while.

Unlikely. Any gaps, however minute, & no good.

Correct. Rubber around the door and the electrical plug in are both egress/emp access points. Most likely occurrence is that you will be locked out of your own electronic lock safe when the lock gets fried. Most Electronic keypads have a plastic cover that looks chrome, but it isn't. Every electronic lock will be inoperable. Every power tool you own is now also fired. How will you be getting into your safe? Old school with a pick and shovel? :) Think about that, you won't be taking a cordless grinder or power hacksaw, everything will be inoperable.

I found it interesting that a scientist studying actual Carrington type events (AKA CME or Coronal Mass Ejection - don't google "Charlemagne" style events or you'll be curled up in a ball in the closet) concluded that strictly based on the evidence, there is a 12% chance that in the next 10 years we have a CME. That 12% number excludes a EMP where Kim Jong or Xi goes for a HEMP (High altitude Electro-magnetic Pulse) sneak attack. 12% that the sun/natural process's alone will do us in. That essential means that a child born today will see his/her/its world get fried in his/her's/it's lifetime.

Last Edited:
Every electronic lock will be inoperable.
That essential means that a child born today will see his/her/its world get fried in his/her's/it's lifetime.
This is part of the reason I stay away from electronic sighting systems and gun safe's.
I don't want my guns to be inaccessible when they are needed.

Probably most gun safes would provide a faraday cage, you could get some spare old laptops, ham radios, etc in your safe... be prepared to lose power for a while.
Most houses have an oven in the kitchen. Most ovens are double walled and solidly grounded. While not technically a true Faraday cage, it would probably be your best bet in the event of short notice.

Most houses have an oven in the kitchen. Most ovens are double walled and solidly grounded. While not technically a true Faraday cage, it would probably be your best bet in the event of short notice.
Hmmm, but we HAVE received "short" notice already. We got the heads up back in 2015. Anyone waiting until an EMP hits to prepare will be too late. The E1 is a fraction of a microsecond. It will literally all be over faster than a person can blink their eye. The only notification we are likely to get is "blicnk" all powered items are now dead. No lights, no cars, planes dropping out of skys, people stuck in elevators who will slowly die of dehydration with a probable 200+ more million Americans soon to follow them into a slow death via dehydration and starvation. Folks on farms and folks prepared are the likely survivors but it will still be a long difficult slog to survive.

WHAM. Done. Finished. Over. This was clearly exhibited by the Norad folks who were tossing elbows to get back INTO Cheyenne Mountain not long after they had moved out of it. IT was a full on stampeed with inter-agency fighting and elbowing and they were clearly looking at getting their tushes back in there quickly and then doing remodeling and changes to the structure AFTER they had hustled back in. That remarkable timeline is this:

2006 After they spend a fortune remodeling Peterson air base, everyone in Cheyenne Mt moves in. Cheyenne mountain is closed.
2015 - WHAM, tushes and elbows to get back into the antiquated Cheyenne mountain structure that's been closed for almost 10 years. News says it's a EMP threat. (I assumed then that it was new info re: North Korea, but we learned just days ago that it was GHINA who were the threat who have developed some massive super EMP device). They move in as many departments (comms etc) as they can get, not everyone gets in and they are damned unhappy about that, and THEN start the remodeling process via a $700 million expenditure. (which likely translates to @$1.5 Billion dollars).

The EMP threat is clearly and visibly real just from watching the US military moves. They never move that fast short of being under direct attack. Very remarkable.

Why is the military moving back into base under the Rocky Mountains?

Hmmm, but we HAVE received "short" notice already. We got the heads up back in 2015. Anyone waiting until an EMP hits to prepare will be too late. The E1 is a fraction of a microsecond. It will literally all be over faster than a person can blink their eye. The only notification we are likely to get is "blicnk" all powered items are now dead. No lights, no cars, planes dropping out of skys, people stuck in elevators who will slowly die of dehydration with a probable 200+ more million Americans soon to follow them into a slow death via dehydration and starvation. Folks on farms and folks prepared are the likely survivors but it will still be a long difficult slog to survive.

WHAM. Done. Finished. Over. This was clearly exhibited by the Norad folks who were tossing elbows to get back INTO Cheyenne Mountain not long after they had moved out of it. IT was a full on stampeed with inter-agency fighting and elbowing and they were clearly looking at getting their tushes back in there quickly and then doing remodeling and changes to the structure AFTER they had hustled back in. That remarkable timeline is this:

2006 After they spend a fortune remodeling Peterson air base, everyone in Cheyenne Mt moves in. Cheyenne mountain is closed.
2015 - WHAM, tushes and elbows to get back into the antiquated Cheyenne mountain structure that's been closed for almost 10 years. News says it's a EMP threat. (I assumed then that it was new info re: North Korea, but we learned just days ago that it was GHINA who were the threat who have developed some massive super EMP device). They move in as many departments (comms etc) as they can get, not everyone gets in and they are damned unhappy about that, and THEN start the remodeling process via a $700 million expenditure. (which likely translates to @$1.5 Billion dollars).

The EMP threat is clearly and visibly real just from watching the US military moves. They never move that fast short of being under direct attack. Very remarkable.

Why is the military moving back into base under the Rocky Mountains?

Kinda silly. If a bad actor country were to EMP us, they would have no problem nuking a bunch of places either.

Although noted that the Cheyenne MT complex supposedly could withstand a 30 MEGATON direct hit, all comm links would summarily be destroyed.

Neat that this supposedly should survive a Carrington type event tho. That'd be good having some type of command and control facilities online for sure.

True EMP/Nuk war? No bueno no matter what gets built, nor how deep they burrow it.

Yes, with boomers, we would still maintain 2nd, 3rd, 4th strike glass making capability. So there's that.

Kinda silly. If a bad actor country were to EMP us, they would have no problem nuking a bunch of places either.
The point of a single EMP is that it would destroy our country as a viable competitor and any state actor could easily hide the origin of it. We would likely not know where it came from. Why rain down missiles knowing that they are all tracked to the point of origin which would immediately receive the same or worse in retaliation coming right back their way when they can sneak attack with one single burst leaving us dazed, confused and not knowing who hit us? Furthermore, outside of our Nuke electric plants being a mess, our extensive resources: factories, mines and agriculture would be fully operable and could be utilized right away by a competitor even if under the guise of "Let us send some troops over to assist you".

Although noted that the Cheyenne MT complex supposedly could withstand a 30 MEGATON direct hit, all comm links would summarily be destroyed.
Cheyenne Mountain was designed to be EMP proof and is the most EMP proof military facility the United States has. What is the source of your claim that " all comm links would summarily be destroyed"? Could you provide a link or 2?

Here's the 2018 EMP Defense Task Force report: https://media.defense.gov/2018/Nov/...DEMAIO_ELECTROMAGNETIC_DEFENSE_TASK_FORCE.PDF

Last Edited:
Cheyenne Mountain was designed to be EMP proof and is the most EMP proof military facility the United States has. What is the source of your claim that " all comm links would summarily be destroyed"? Could you provide a link or 2?

Here's the 2018 EMP Defense Task Force report: https://media.defense.gov/2018/Nov/...DEMAIO_ELECTROMAGNETIC_DEFENSE_TASK_FORCE.PDF

No link or anything. Just suggesting that *if* a nuke or few were to hit the Cheyenne complex, or surrounding area, that all ABOVE GROUND infrastructure would be destroyed.

I'd recon that there would need to be some large amount of above ground structures to communicate with the rest of the country. Towers, satellite transmitters etc. etc.

So, sure, the Cheyenne complex and personnel would survive a direct attack. But they wouldn't be able to communicate, so would be pretty useless. Dontcha think?

Now sure, if they have some magical capability to head on up above ground with portable equipment that won't get fried (the people doing said work would be dead in very short order), maybe. Maybe, but unlikely.

Cheyanee is designed to have full comms and functions after an EMP.

New Hidden Missile System Unknown To Feds
As far as knowing who did it. Lets quickly note one possible instance of thousands of methods: the container with a hidden missile (see 10 year old link above). There are thousands of container ships on the oceans right now. If one were to be moved about like a game of hide the ball or 3 card monte: that is, shipped to country X, moved to a warehouse then later transferred to country Z, then sent over to some US port and remotely trigger and EMP burst....

85d88fd977011a9090012fd0a3087fea.jpg

or

Club-K.jpg

or
25557265.jpg

Likely any bubba could work something like this up in their backyard if some state actor brought the Nuc and stuffed it in there. Easy sneezy. With the entire country paralyzed, ever getting the root of it would be unlikely. This anonymity in fact, as the 2018 report I linked above notes, actually encourages just such an attack.

Last Edited:
Cheyanee is designed to have full comms and functions after an EMP.

As far as knowing who did it. Lets quickly note one possible instance of thousands of methods. There are thousands of container ships on the oceans right now. If one were to be moved about like a game of hide the ball or 3 card monte: that is, shipped to country X, moved to a warehouse then later transferred to country Z, then sent over to some US port and remotely trigger and EMP burst....

View attachment 714504

or

View attachment 714505

or
View attachment 714506

Likely any bubba could work something like this up in their backyard if some state actor brought the Nuc and stuffed it in there. Easy sneezy. With the entire country paralyzed, ever getting the root of it would be unlikley.

Supposedly science folks can determine where nuclear material came from, which production facilities, which country etc.

Common theme in fiction, so perhaps some basis in fact. Maybe pure fiction. Dunno.

Yes, nuclear materials can be tracked to country/facility.

You are saying that AFTER a nuclear blast tore our country to crap or a sneak EMP paralyzed the country, we would be able to determine who's bomb it was?.... based on....based on what? Russia has well over 5000 nucs produced over 50 years in various facilities and they are produced in a variety of methods or to achieve different effects: are you saying that each of them would be identifiable after it had EMP'ed our country? It defies belief to me, can you provide a link on that claim? I'm interested in the science behind it.

My recollection of early EMP testing and what they taught the Navy/Coast Guard sailors and COMMS guys like me back in the day is that the actual pulse damage are always very localized events, and atmospherically fade in a couple of days.

Again, very dated information but if an EMP comes to a town near you via air burst nuke you're then dealing with regional radiation exposure, possibly mass casualty, and water / food supply chain contamination...messy but pretty much survivable.

What kind of time frame was that Knute? When I was in the Army, they handed out a Nuclear Blast Reporting paper. That indicated that in the event of a blast, they wanted you to stand up, put your thumb out full length, and estimate how much mushroom cloud it covered. No joke. 1974.

It's not in dispute that a single EMP blast of only one optimized bomb would all but destroy the country vis the huge spike in voltage. There would be no radiation, leaving the countrys farms and production facilities available to be eventually put back into use. A blast over Kansas will make the electricity production in the Pacific NW all the way to New York City be a memory.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top