JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I need some clarification please.
If I build a moderator I need a Form 1 filed and that takes 30days?
If I purchase a moderator Form 4(?) and that takes approx. 1 year?

Yes, Its faster to form 1 a silencer and build it yourself then it is to form 4 a silencer and buy one.

No such thing as a moderator on BATFE forms. Don't put moderator on a form 1 or form 4 unless you want it kicked back.

"Firearm. The term "firearm" means: (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e); (6) a machinegun; (7) a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and (8) a destructive device,as defined in 26 U.S.C. § 5845 (f)."

Yes, Its faster to form 1 a silencer and build it yourself then it is to form 4 a silencer and buy one.

No such thing as a moderator on BATFE forms. Don't put moderator on a form 1 or form 4 unless you want it kicked back.

"Firearm. The term "firearm" means: (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e); (6) a machinegun; (7) a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and (8) a destructive device,as defined in 26 U.S.C. § 5845 (f)."
If it's true about build ur own using form 1 is a lot faster than buying one with form 4 does anyone know of a kit to buy for build ur own 9mm suppressor? I would be all over that and sending in form 1. Been waiting over 9mo for my current one (not 9mm) that is in jail.

If it's true about build ur own using form 1 is a lot faster than buying one with form 4 does anyone know of a kit to buy for build ur own 9mm suppressor? I would be all over that and sending in form 1. Been waiting over 9mo for my current one (not 9mm) that is in jail.

There are no silencer kits for sale. That would not be legal. You MAY be able to repurpose one of these filters though...

CB1A0AD3-0425-4074-A6B6-1CD8E5C60D61.gif

Silencer is the correct US legal definition. I'm pretty sure the term "suppressor" was something popularized by gunsmith Bruce Gray back in the 80's and has become the most popular term used these days. I find myself going back and forth from both terms as well as using the term "can" for a lot of customers. When talking to customers in New Zealand and UK we use "Moderator" and for Australia it's "Sup".

It goes back to the mid 70s after the vietnam war and was the brainchild of a soldier of fortune editor in a bid to de evilize silencers for the fledgling industry. Basically scionics wanted government officials in purchasing to sign off on military contracts and the word "silencer" wasnt helping that go forward. Its a marketing decision.
I dont really go back and forth but Silencers suppress the sound of a gun shot. Silencer being a noun and not a verb in the case of the device. It doesnt have to do what the inventor christened it.

Last Edited:
Its not a term. It's a name. That's what Hiram Maxim named them and what the body that governs the devices calls them because that is what they're named. English. It's a screwy language.

Wait a minute, at 22:38 he says about prohibition that "10,000 deaths caused by deliberate federal poisoning efforts". ????? A lot of this video is really good info. but is he really saying that the government deliberately poisoned 1000s of poeple?

Don't like that? How about deliberate syphilis? Tuskegee syphilis experiment - Wikipedia

How about LSD? Project MKUltra - Wikipedia

The "othering" of people is the process of dehumanizing another human such that you see violence and murder of that person as no big deal, if not warranted.

It's a tribal mechanism that humans do intrinsically and very, very well. One must actually be trained to NOT dehumanize others and it's a skill that quickly withers.

The government is made of people who "otherize" the population. They're a tribe. Tyrants are bad. Mobs are worse. Keep digging - you'll find many, many atrocities committed by not just the US government, but all of them.

It goes back to the mid 70s after the vietnam war and was the brainchild of a soldier of fortune editor in a bid to de evilize silencers for the fledgling industry. Basically scionics wanted government officials in purchasing to sign off on military contracts and the word "silencer" wasnt helping that go forward. Its a marketing decision.
I dont really go back and forth but Silencers suppress the sound of a gun shot. Silencer being a noun and not a verb in the case of the device. It doesnt have to do what the inventor christened it.

I don't remember the term "suppressor" being used in common vernacular until Bruce started using it in his videos. That been said I also spent most of my time in that era, in another country. The term "can" was always may more popular. I don't ever recall Sionics referring to them as sound suppressors - but I could be wrong. The 70's models such as the MAW-A1 (Moderator Automatic Weapon - Alteration 1), used the term "moderator" in their designation.
Human Engineering Labs (commonly known as HEL) on the other hand did use the term Suppressor. They called them "Noise Suppressors" such as the "Noise Suppressor HEL E4A".

I don't remember the term "suppressor" being used in common vernacular until Bruce started using it in his videos. That been said I also spent most of my time in that era, in another country. The term "can" was always may more popular. I don't ever recall Sionics referring to them as sound suppressors - but I could be wrong. The 70's models such as the MAW-A1 (Moderator Automatic Weapon - Alteration 1), used the term "moderator" in their designation.
Human Engineering Labs (commonly known as HEL) on the other hand did use the term Suppressor. They called them "Noise Suppressors" such as the "Noise Suppressor HEL E4A".
Ive seen a lot of Bruces video's and thinking about it now I wonder how they were distributed. They were made in the pre youtube era when you'd have to purchase VHS tapes though shotgun news of SOF or something like that. In any case the term does predate him.

I've been bit by the form 1 bug. Lots of solvent trap kits you can buy or customize if you want to go that route. Once your form 1 is approved, you modify these kits into your approved Form 1 silencer. (Think of them like 80% kits). Or spec out your own parts kit. Note- You can buy all your parts before applying, but don't drill anything until AFTER you get your form approved. That makes them silencer parts and you a felon. But you should get your engraving done BEFORE it's approved. It just a threaded pipe until then.

If you don't have the tools or just want a super high quality product, another way is to apply for your form 1 and after it's approved, send it to a SOT for a "recore". Equal to or better than a high quality commercial build.
A tube, drilled endcap and mount is officially a silencer. Have the SOT machine your internals (cones and spacers). You can also. have any machine shop/gun smith do the work for you as long as you are present.

It's not necessarily cheaper to do a Form 1 than a Form 4, but 30 days is better than 350+ AND you can make a build with higher quality materials (Ti),user serviceable and mounts that are not proprietary.
Example, for my 9mm build, I use a Griffin taper mount and put Griffin minimalist breaks on my PCCs. I can remove the taper mount and swap in a booster for direct thread on pistols 9mm or smaller.
Lots of options making it much more versatile.
My experience has been e-file 30 day approval times after fingerprint card delivered. Highly recommend Sporting Systems to do a trust.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top