JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finished the top end yesterday. Waiting on some sights to complete the package

u7DJLa.jpg

There is a company that advertises in the American Rifleman and American Handgunner a kit that makes assembly/disassembly of the older Ruger .22 pistols a lot easier.

By looking at the title, there was little doubt what gun you were talking about!

My MkII is getting kinda lonely now that I have a MkIV with the one button takedown. My wife's Kimber Ultra does rival the Ruger in frustrating assembly.

You want a fun gun to put back together then get a CZ-82. I had to make a tool out of brass which I held in my mouth since some parts literally need 3 hands to assemble. The ruger is annoying to assemble but the CZ-82 should include a honorary degree in BS-ery if you can successfully reassemble it by yourself.

I once took apart a revolver. Have not since. And it was a Ruger SP101 - probably the most modular and easiest revolver to take apart and reassemble. There have been a few other guns, including revolvers, that I wasn't sure I would ever get back together and working again - but now I can't remember what they were.

The locking block on a SIG is tricky - sometimes it just slips in and sometimes it takes 30 minutes to get everything in the right position, then it slips in. Also, don't ever put the wrong slide on the frame in a SIG with the wrong locking block.

One time I had two different model Glocks apart and put the wrong slide on the wrong frame - I was afraid I couldn't get it apart again.

I once took apart a revolver. Have not since. And it was a Ruger SP101 - probably the most modular and easiest revolver to take apart and reassemble. There have been a few other guns, including revolvers, that I wasn't sure I would ever get back together and working again - but now I can't remember what they were.

The locking block on a SIG is tricky - sometimes it just slips in and sometimes it takes 30 minutes to get everything in the right position, then it slips in. Also, don't ever put the wrong slide on the frame in a SIG with the wrong locking block.

One time I had two different model Glocks apart and put the wrong slide on the wrong frame - I was afraid I couldn't get it apart again.

Get into the Colt SAA world. A minute here, a minute there and it puts itself back together.

I have MKIII 22/45 that I just completed my first full disassembly on last weekend. Well, everything minus the bolt, figured I would save that for when I upgraded the extractor. It was a bit of a PITA, but YouTube came to the rescue. I'm feeling better about doing the upgrades now that I've seen the inner workings of the pistol.

Good luck to everyone who has one of these Rugers!

Its something I do about every 5 years. This time I somehow managed to tweak the grip frame a bit and the sear wouldn't quite release the hammer. Had it apart 10 or so times before I realized what was going on . Put a chisel in backwards and twisted it by hand enough to spread the frame a C hair apart enough to clear the sear.

I'll NEVER take apart another revolver again

How do you tweek the grip frame, gun vice?
I dont know. It was just enough to keep the sear from moving freely. Spread the grip frame a thou and it was back to business. I didnt put the grip in a vise or anything. It works now but why it didnt work then I don't know.

I once took apart a revolver. Have not since.

The first time I took apart a revolver, I remember thinking "Wait a minute, I thought old-school revolvers were supposed to be simpler and more rugged than finicky, modern automatics". Then I came to realize that it was the other way around.

I've put new cylinder stop springs in S&W revolvers; definitely not an easy job. I've come to the conclusion that gunsmiths have special tools for some jobs, and if you don't have those tool, those otherwise simple jobs are a real bear!

I dont know. It was just enough to keep the sear from moving freely. Spread the grip frame a thou and it was back to business. I didnt put the grip in a vise or anything. It works now but why it didnt work then I don't know.
Yeah, the sear was the part that I messed up with during reassembly. Tricky SOB!

I have a Mk II and to me, it's a 'once you've done it...' you pretty much remember
for years. In fact, after 10 yrs of not field stripping it, I was able to disassemble
it and install a Volq trigger a couple of weeks ago. Insofar as a suppressor, I
don't have an integral one, just spin ons

dater1n2.jpg

The first time I took apart a revolver, I remember thinking "Wait a minute, I thought old-school revolvers were supposed to be simpler and more rugged than finicky, modern automatics". Then I came to realize that it was the other way around.

Yeah - I've heard a LOT of people repeat the same myth about how revolvers are simpler and more rugged. I can always tell that they haven't taken one apart down to the bare metal - especially a Colt (from what I have heard/read).

I remember taking apart a Glock all the way down and it was comparatively simple.

I was very impressed with the Ruger SP101 - especially its modularity. I seem to remember that I had a Charter Arms (early model) about the same time that I also took apart and vowed never to try that again. I had a Dan Wesson too - which was simpler, but not quite as simple as the Ruger. I used to take every gun I had apart as far as possible when I first got them, but now I just field strip them - which with most revolvers is usually not very far at all - just take the grips off - sometimes.

I got my Ruger Security Six from my Dad, who didn't believe guns needed cleaned on a regular basis. It was black from shooting hundreds of rounds of .38 special wadcutters. I took it all the way down, polished some parts and put it back together using a knife in my mouth and both hands putting the last little piece in. The knife was holding a spring down while I slipped in the part. I am glad that I disassembled it in a covered box or I would still be looking for that spring.

My next project is disassembling my chrome plated WWII P-38 cleaning and replacing the springs with my Wolf spring pack and a firing pin spring that cost more than all of the other springs combined. It doesn't look like a hard project, but back to the covered box again.:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top