JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gunshot stops man threatening to kill woman in Everett | The Today File | Seattle Times

Police say a bystander shot his pistol to scare off a man threatening to kill a woman with a knife in Everett this afternoon.

The bystander told Everett police he’d ordered a 48-year-old man chasing and threatening to kill the woman with a knife to stop his attack near the intersection of 34th Street and Lombard Avenue.

Concerned that the woman might be killed if the man didn’t stop chasing her, the 61-year-old Arlington man fired one shot into the air around 4:30 p.m.

The man with the knife then stopped chasing the woman and was held by several people nearby until officers arrived to take him into custody. He was booked into Snohomish County Jail for unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon.

The woman fled the scene and has not been identified, according to Everett police. Detectives are still investigating who she is and where she may have gone.

Police interviewed the bystander after the incident, and no charges are expected to filed against him, according to a release from the Everett Police Department.

He missed. Shooting into the air is rather irresponsible too, what goes up, will come down.

I've always thought, if I have to draw my weapon, I've already made the decision to ventilate someone. Never bluff, never threaten, never engage in conversation.

I agree that firing into the air is risky since that bullet is going to land somewhere.

We probably don't know all the details. Perhaps he drew his pistol and yelled, and it wasn't enough. Perhaps he was surrounded by asphalt such that firing into the dirt/grass wasn't feasible.

Peter

Yell and scream and threaten all you want THEN draw.

As they say, talk the talk THEN walk the walk.

ETA: One of my fav movie lines is from The Fifth Element: "Anyone else want to negoiciate?"

I've always thought, if I have to draw my weapon, I've already made the decision to ventilate someone.
There are situations in which you might draw but not fire. To be locked into the frame of mind that to draw means to fire is irresponsible at best and could leave you in prison at worst.

There are situations in which you might draw but not fire. To be locked into the frame of mind that to draw means to fire is irresponsible at best and could leave you in prison at worst.

Absolutely, if the need for self defence or the defence of others abates (i.e. they run away), then continuing is criminal. My point is once you draw, dont screw around.

Originally Posted by accessbob

Why would you draw if you have not already determined it to be a lethal situation ? If you have already determined your life is on the line, why would not be prepared to shoot ? Either your life (or another person's) is in immediate danger of being ended, or it is not. If you have time to analyze, it seems to me it is too soon to draw.

Why would you draw if you have not already determined it to be a lethal situation ? If you have already determined your life is on the line, why would not be prepared to shoot ? Either your life (or another person's) is in immediate danger of being ended, or it is not. If you have time to analyze, it seems to me it is too soon to draw.

He said "situations in which you might draw and not fire" you say "why would you not be prepared to shoot."

I don't think you guys are disagreeing. You should never draw your weapon without intending to pull the trigger, but like I said, a lot can happen in 1.5 seconds. The situation may have changed.
"some situations where you might."

Holding out your gun in many situations may act as a deterrent. You need to asses each confrontation on a situational basis. There is no cookie cutter way to defend yourself or others.

Holding out your gun in many situations may act as a deterrent. You need to asses each confrontation on a situational basis. There is no cookie cutter way to defend yourself or others.

Deterrent to what? Someone realistically threatening to kill you or someone else? Thats really the only reason to have your weapon out.

He missed. Shooting into the air is rather irresponsible too, what goes up, will come down.

I've always thought, if I have to draw my weapon, I've already made the decision to ventilate someone. Never bluff, never threaten, never engage in conversation.
GAH! Never, never, never, never, NEVER fire a warning shot. That's just asking for trouble.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top