JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't do it...
Bringing a firearm to a so-called "gun buy back" with the hopes of making a profit somehow...is a bad idea....
The only thing that really does is just add to the idea that these "buy backs" actually work.
'Cause another gun was turned in...it don't matter the why it was turned in...it just adds to numbers of gun turned in.
Andy

I wouldn't do it...
Bringing a firearm to a so-called "gun buy back" with the hopes of making a profit somehow...is a bad idea....
The only thing that really does is just add to the idea that these "buy backs" actually work.
'Cause another gun was turned in...it don't matter the why it was turned in...it just adds to numbers of gun turned in.
Andy
Andy, I agree with you 100%, however that Jennings is a POS, soooo, I'm kinda' thinking about it. (I actually have 2 of them...) If I pad their stats with junk and get $400 just before Christmas, hmmmmm, it's sooo tempting.
<><

POS or not....
It is still a gun that was turned in....
Then that gun will be used to push the notion that so called gun buy backs work to keep people safe and get guns off the street.

You do as you wish...
I won't give them anything to use against me...no matter how tempting.
Andy

I wouldn't do it...
Andy
I support the guy who turned in 30 3d printed lowers. Made a substantial return on investment. Bought a $1500 rifle with the proceeds.

I support the guy who turned in 30 3d printed lowers. Made a substantial return on investment. Bought a $1500 rifle with the proceeds.
I do not.
A gun turned in...is still a gun turned in , be it a POS or a 3D printed one.
A gun turned in ...is now a number on the list...a list that can be shown to say :
"See look at at how many dangerous guns we took in off the streets.".

Again...all this does is help push a false narrative / idea etc...
As well as working against gun ownership in the long run.
Andy

I do not.
A gun turned in...is still a gun turned in , be it a POS or a 3D printed one.
A gun turned in ...is now a number on the list...a list that can be shown to say :
"See look at at how many dangerous guns we took in off the streets.".

Again...all this does is help push a false narrative / idea etc...
As well as working against gun ownership in the long run.
Andy
The other side of the coin was that it bleeds your enemy of funding. In the case of the guy who mass printed ar lowers, they were not even usable as he cut the plastic infill to 10%. It also literally took all the gift cards, which ended the event. I see your point, but I can see the point of the guys who turn in a pipe zip tied to a 2x4 as well

The other side of the coin was that it bleeds your enemy of funding. In the case of the guy who mass printed ar lowers, they were not even usable as he cut the plastic infill to 10%. It also literally took all the gift cards, which ended the event. I see your point, but I can see the point of the guys who turn in a pipe zip tied to a 2x4 as well
I can't see the other side of coin....or agree to the point.

I can't because the immediate short term gain , does not out weigh the long range harm done.
Andy

I can't see the other side of coin....or agree to the point.

I can't because the immediate short term gain , does not out weigh the long range harm done.
Andy
Well the point is to bankrupt these operations by creating crap specifically for them which essentially takes all the funding for nothing.

Andy, I agree with you 100%, however that Jennings is a POS, soooo, I'm kinda' thinking about it. (I actually have 2 of them...) If I pad their stats with junk and get $400 just before Christmas, hmmmmm, it's sooo tempting.
<><
Even though the gun is garbage, you will be adding to the number of guns in the coming news articles, press releases etc. The impact to our cause is more important than the personal short term gain. Do you really want a photo of a gun you turned in to be in a press release for a claimed "successful gun 'buyback' program"? We need to be united and show that this method of destroying privately owned guns will not work. IMO we have to be stronger and smarter, and not be used for political gain to remove guns.

Edit: as I was writing this Andy said exactly the same thing but in much fewer words in post #13.

Well the point is to bankrupt these operations by creating crap specifically for them which essentially takes all the funding for nothing.
I don't see that happening.

In any event...
I have stated my position...and ....
Since I know it ain't a popular position....as well as knowing that I won't change my mind...
And since I don't want to clog up or bog down a thread with me simply rephrasing my opposition...
I will leave the thread.
Andy

I don't have much of a problem with having a place for people to dispose of truly unwanted guns, even though I'd rather they give them to someone that needs them but can't afford them.

I do have an issue with taxpayers funding it and it being politicized to push an anti gun narrative.

I don't see that happening.

In any event...
I have stated my position...and ....
Since I know it ain't a popular position....as well as knowing that I won't change my mind...
And since I don't want to clog up or bog down a thread with me simply rephrasing my opposition...
I will leave the thread.
Andy
I don't mean to be argumentative, but there are some 3d printing groups that are doing this in a coordinated manner. The idea is the prevention of destruction of antique or valuable weapons. In places where legal, some pro 2a people have cleaned out the gift cards and then sent all the folks in line to an ffl or did private party purchases from the individuals in line. I never participated because frankly I don't need a pile of gift cards.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but there are some 3d printing groups that are doing this in a coordinated manner. The idea is the prevention of destruction of antique or valuable weapons. In places where legal, some pro 2a people have cleaned out the gift cards and then sent all the folks in line to an ffl or did private party purchases from the individuals in line. I never participated because frankly I don't need a pile of gift cards.
I don't think that you are being argumentative at all.

I just think what I do in this situation...and since I have no desire to change my mind / way of thinking...*
Once I have stated my thoughts...there is no point in me simply repeating myself as it just clutters the thread.
Andy
* Here for this specific issue....otherwise I am fairly open minded.

But everybody is doing it, If I don't do it someone will, this will fix them good, they're rich and can afford it, the insurance will pay for it. Any way one rationalizes a bad idea to sanction it, and give it a positive spin, still comes up with two wrongs don't make a right in my book.
I applaud @Andy54Hawken for seeing the big picture and agree totally.
Money, the root of all evil, and everyone has a price weighs on my mind here.
Personally, I'd rather scrap mine before I would volunteer to enable hateful and sanctimonious folks any progress in their agenda to do harm to America's Constitution .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top