JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This reminds me of my personal dilemma.

After many years of turning wrenches on big and small stuff, I got to this weird point where specified torque often felt like not quite enough to me.
So I was always going just a hair tighter.

This led me to question whether qualified engineers were correct, or I was.
Naturally, I decided that all of them have always been wrong.

Nowadays, I still use a torque wrench on head bolts and hub nuts and the like, but otherwise not very often.

Clearly, YMMV.

Perhaps what it really comes down to is: how much is a hair?

:D
Well there are grades of hairs, you see, but that's for a different thread.

Well there are grades of hairs, you see, but that's for a different thread.

And he does not appear to have the proper ticket...

...although he meets all other qualifications for entry (time in grade, post count, etc.)...

My brother used to say "Torque until it strips, then back off 1/4 turn.

What I have done is purchase a used aerospace quality Consolidated Devices in.lb. /Nm dial torque wrench. I use it on mountain bike and motorcycle fasteners within its range. With proper drive sockets, would be perfect for the typical 4-40 or 6-40 scope mount screws.
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 1.11.08 AM.png

Last Edited:
This reminds me of my personal dilemma.

After many years of turning wrenches on big and small stuff, I got to this weird point where specified torque often felt like not quite enough to me.
So I was always going just a hair tighter.

This led me to question whether qualified engineers were correct, or I was.
Naturally, I decided that all of them have always been wrong.

Nowadays, I still use a torque wrench on head bolts and hub nuts and the like, but otherwise not very often.

Clearly, YMMV.

Perhaps what it really comes down to is: how much is a hair?

What I have done is purchase a used aerospace quality Consolidated Devices in.lb. /Nm dial torque wrench. I use it on mountain bike and motorcycle fasteners within its range. With proper drive sockets, would be perfect for the typical 4-40 or 6-40 scope mount screws.
View attachment 1279882
Is that a repair tag hanging off it? :)

View attachment 1279882
When I was in welding school, I met a guy that swore Ford mechanics were actually taught "tighten it until it cracks, then back it off a 1/4 turn."

I pointed to another guy in class and said, "That guy said Chevy invented that" and then sat back and watched the show. :s0087:

I picked up a Wheeler Fat Wrench a few years ago on Amazon. Just happened to hit a sale and used some points I had saved up and only paid $15.50 shipped to my door.

Well at least being a Vortex, if it hit the ground and broke, they would send you a new one...or so about 1,000 salespeople have told me. :cool:

And yet another vote for the Fat Wrench...used mine yesterday. And as a gentle reminder for those who don't always read directions (um, that would be me), you should unscrew the tension all the way out between each use. True on most stuff like this.
I've taken advantage of the warranty more than once. It's true. They stand behind their products.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top