JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, taken the phone and the car. The cell made her mad, losing the car got her attention. Did it do any good in the long run? Who the heck knows, but it made me feel better.

Ed

Hard to say because of the limited info in the story, but I'm thinking there was some serious disfunction in this family for a while to make a kid shoot her father just for taking a cell phone away. I'm bettin' this was about a lot more than just getting a cell phone taken.

and THIS is what happens when you live in a society that will take your kids away from you for giving them a good old-fashioned bass-whoopin.

That, my kids knew a butt whipping was an option and not just a hollow threat, I doubt either son received more than a few, that may explain why they are both honor roll students and one has a full Scholarship (48K per year paid) to Syracuse University this fall. :s0155:

That, my kids knew a butt whipping was an option and not just a hollow threat, I doubt either son received more than a few,QUOTE]

Same with my son. He knew that if he acted up there was a spanking coming and I wouldn't wait until we got home. For him, the embarrasment of being spanked in public was worse than the actual spanking. Consequently we ended up having to spank him very few times.

My Dad had a saying. He said, "You have a choice. You can run your kids, or they can run you.",

i got a question why does a 15 year old have a cell phone? i know im a fuddy duddy but seriously if they are not working to pay for it why give it to them.

That is when he got his cell phone - when he started working. Amazing how that changes your perspective

You know - Getting the Board of Education at school a few times was more embarrassment than pain. But the teachers didn;t put up with any crap.
So if the parents have no discipline or control at home why would you expect something different in society.

Interesting when we lived in California ( that Places Oregon at 2nd worse school system) There was no control and chaos in the school.
When we moved to Texas- They went over all the rules and expectations (Public SChool). You are there to learn - if you want chaos or to be babysat - Then you should be home with your parents. They just did not accecpt rudeness , inappropriate behavior, not doing your homework. Very structured. Oh Yeah His High School has been in the top 25 High SChools for many years.
Great on academics but no crap

cell phones with GPS are a great tool for parents as well as a lever to use - it is just another tool in the arsenal.

As for the subject parents, I agree that there was more involved than the phone...there are some serious issues at play.

Daughter had her first cell phone after her first 4 year stint in the Navy none of my business. She also learned to drive and got her first drivers license while in Sicily in the NAVY again not my problem.

The Boy got his first cell phone I assume after Basic training in the NAVY and got his Drivers license about 2 months before he left for said Basic training.

Neither of them had the where with all to make enough money acquire either a cell phone or a drivers license while High school. I never ready where it was my job to provide luxuries. A warm house enough good food a loving environment and as much guidance as we could offer. The rest is up to them.

Ever take your kid's cell phone away?
Nope, never needed to do that. Not saying my kids are perfect, just that their behavior is pretty much what you'd hope for from people their ages.

Daughter is 16 and has a 4.0 GPA in high school and she's not taking the easy classes either.

Son is 20 and away at Oregon Institute of Technology studying Mechanical Engineering and paying for college himself. I can afford the $15 a month for his cell bill.

Agree with Trlsmn, cell phone = electronic leash.

This is what happens when your kids aren't afraid of a good, old-fashioned a.ss-whuppin'.
Never worked for me or my brother. Took the beating and never cared. ****, we would laugh about it as we were getting hit. My brother even got it in school, the choice was 20 hacks or detention, duh, never stopped him from cutting classes. Never stopped us from doing anything. Considering both my brother and I were bigger, faster and much stronger than either of our parents by the time we were 14, they couldn't force us to do anything we were not willing to do. Take the car away, we walk, no tv, so what? Good times. Physical punishment does not work for all.

That family had issues long before the father took the cell phone away, or maybe the girl is just a nut job and no matter what was tried it did not work.

This is what happens when your kids aren't afraid of a good, old-fashioned a.ss-whuppin'.
I absolutely agree with you on this!
Hard to say because of the limited info in the story, but I'm thinking there was some serious disfunction in this family for a while to make a kid shoot her father just for taking a cell phone away. I'm bettin' this was about a lot more than just getting a cell phone taken.
There is no doubt in my mind that there is more to this story than just the story!
i got a question why does a 15 year old have a cell phone? i know im a fuddy duddy but seriously if they are not working to pay for it why give it to them.
My kids play sports and do other extra caricular activities and it is much easier for them to call me when they are ready than my sitting and waiting on them!

I have made it clear to my daughter that the phone she carries daily is not 'hers'. I pay for it so it technically is 'mine'. There have been times when I have had to ask for 'my' phone back.
She is a good kid and rarely do I need to correct her but the few times I have done this it does get her attention. And she understands the value of something that is provided for her. She also understands that the phone is something she has use of because she earns it through chores and school performance etc...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top