JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the last six months or so between 6:30 and 8:00 PM almost every day we've been hearing a weird noise that we thought was some sort of bird. Normally the noise flies quickly downriver behind the house (our backyard is a river). Sometimes it flies up river. Always the same time of day.

Tonight I just happened to be outside from closing up the animals for the night and I heard the noise. Instinctively I looked up and it flew right over me, and our house, at tree top level. We have Fir Trees so I'm guessing it was about 60' off the ground. It surprised the hell out of me. I've just spent the last hour researching online and I finally found it.

This is what has been making the noise we've been hearing fly around in the early evenings since about the end of September.

The Insitu "Night Eagle" UAV. I know that there are a few Insitu locations out in Yakima. I didn't know there may be some in Clark/Cowlitz. My wife just came in and said it flew back over going the other way just now while she was out smoking.

drone.jpg

Yeah.
Wasn't the fish and game or forest service using these for awhile now?
I know the border patrol has been.

If it's unmarked it may be korean, in the name of national security you should take it down.

Yup...must've hit a tree and then crashed so hard it ended up 4 feet underground with all electronics completely destroyed.

Screw these people.

This is the U.S.A.. At some point these asshats need to be shut down. The sky over our property is our airspace and we should defend it with the same force the government would use to defend theirs.

Yup...must've hit a tree and then crashed so hard it ended up 4 feet underground with all electronics completely destroyed.

Screw these people.

This is the U.S.A.. At some point these asshats need to be shut down. The sky over our property is our airspace and we should defend it with the same force the government would use to defend theirs.

I'm a pretty decent shot with an autoshotty, but you'd need true AA to hit this thing. Had I not been looking in just the right place at just the right time I would still be thinking it was some sort of weird bird. It is friggin fast. There is an approx. 100 yard area it covered when I did catch sight of it, and I couldn't turn my head fast enough to keep it in full view as it flew over.

Honestly, as fast as it goes [because the sound was traveling the same speed we always hear it at] I don't see how anyone controlling it can see anything.

I'm a pretty decent shot with an autoshotty, but you'd need true AA to hit this thing. Had I not been looking in just the right place at just the right time I would still be thinking it was some sort of weird bird. It is friggin fast. There is an approx. 100 yard area it covered when I did catch sight of it, and I couldn't turn my head fast enough to keep it in full view as it flew over.

Honestly, as fast as it goes [because the sound was traveling the same speed we always hear it at] I don't see how anyone controlling it can see anything.

Do a quick google search of "fpv".
10+ miles range is not uncommon for a hobbyist. Real time video with on screen display of altitude, airspeed, distance and direction from launch is fairly easy to accomplish.

I say we do a sunday afternoon potluck, 10 gauges and 12 gauges and 20 gauges all welcome, 40 or 50 of us, research lead time on a 200 mph aircraft and triangulate where we all shoot at in the sky when it comes into view :s0155:

Slower than i thought! you duck hunters will have no problem! here are the specs try to hit it towards tail end so we can salvage the thermal imaging :cool:

Ceiling: 19,500 ft / 5,944 m
Max horizontal speed: 80 knots / 41 m/s
Cruise speed: 48 knots / 25 m/s

System features

Propulsion: 1.9 hp (1.4 kw), 2-stroke engine
Fuel: Gasoline (100-octane, unleaded, non-oxygenated gas) or heavy fuel (JP5, JP8, Jet-A)
Navigation: GPS / Inertial
Launch: Pneumatic catapult
Recovery: SkyHook wing tip capture

Dimensions

Wingspan: 10.2 ft / 3.11 m
Length: 5.3 ft / 1.64 m

Weights

Empty structure weight: 35.3 lb / 16 kg
Max takeoff weight: 48.4 lb / 22 kg

Mid-wave infrared sensor package

Continuous optical zoom: 25.5˚ (1x) to 2˚ (13x)
Added digital zoom steps: 1.0x, 1.5x, 2.0x, 2.5x, 3.0x, 3.5x, 4.0x
Articulation: Pitch +75˚ to - 45˚ and Roll +/- 180˚

For the last six months or so between 6:30 and 8:00 PM almost every day we've been hearing a weird noise that we thought was some sort of bird. Normally the noise flies quickly downriver behind the house (our backyard is a river). Sometimes it flies up river. Always the same time of day.

Tonight I just happened to be outside from closing up the animals for the night and I heard the noise. Instinctively I looked up and it flew right over me, and our house, at tree top level. We have Fir Trees so I'm guessing it was about 60' off the ground. It surprised the hell out of me. I've just spent the last hour researching online and I finally found it.

This is what has been making the noise we've been hearing fly around in the early evenings since about the end of September.

The Insitu "Night Eagle" UAV. I know that there are a few Insitu locations out in Yakima. I didn't know there may be some in Clark/Cowlitz. My wife just came in and said it flew back over going the other way just now while she was out smoking.

drone.jpg

i've seen those little bastards flying around in my neck of the woods. the urge to take one down is becoming stronger and stronger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top