JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious if any of you have ever been so put off by the personal-yet-publicly posted opinions of a vendor, or even a business owner, that you've decided not to give them your patronage?

This isn't about "no firearms" in Lowes. This is about content you've read from vendors or business owners on this forum (or others) that you have consciously made the decision not to give them business because of their stance or position.

Absolutely! There are many vendors that I have used in the past and I had read about being, well, less than reputable. After reviewing their skills/products and still deciding that I will try them because they are less expensive etc, I have found that I was very disappointed in them and more so with myself for not trusting what others have said. one such is a firearms dealer on SE foster and 54th... horrible CS, poor attitude, overpriced...but I tried anyway. I will also do reviews online after stumbling on to a place, and then read what others have said to make sure it wasn't a bad day at the store, too.
In short, usually the concurrence of the majority is usually where I put my money...literally!

I bought some pointy crap from BUDK online for my son once, then I got some sort of mega-catalog (SO MUCH!), and saw all the confederate flag "The South Will Rise Again" covered items, and the cheap, low-quality swastika stickers and crappy plastic nazi daggers "for your period gear" or something. No thanks. I don't want to give money to a company profiting on that crap. I'm glad someone sells it, just as a proof that the first amendment still partially works, but I don't want anything to do with it.

Of course, this is still somewhat hypocritical, because I occasionally drink Coke, eat at McDonald's and wear inexpensive shoes - and all of those things negatively impact millions of people.

I don't think it really matters if the statements you disagree are public, or in behind-the-scenes actions. Vote with your wallets. Do what you think is right, without being too much of an jerk about it.

Personally, I'm not really down with the tea party, and most of the tea party folks probably aren't thrilled with my politics. But someone has to do or say something pretty egregious for me to consider it more than just another difference of opinion. I try to deal differently with people than with businesses. Unfortunately, this makes one to two person small businesses darn difficult if they're spewing some brand of crazy that isn't my flavor. Just depends on the day. I try to be straight with people and expect the same.

I like to think there's something I like about everyone, even if it's just one small thing - and the only people I could absolutely not have a beer with are alcoholics. Then I'll drink a Coke :)

WalMart though... Never will I buy from WalMart.
F them in the ear!

Yes. There are many vendors that I will absolutely not support. LaRue is at the top of the list.

What's wrong with LaRue? I always thought their customer service was pretty good. Don't know anything about their opinions though. If I had to choose a mount manufacturer to not support it would definitely be A.R.M.S. for their SUE EVERYONE attitude. Don't know anything about the opinions of A.R.M.S. either though.

I guess there's Ruger... but ever since ol' Bill "honest man never needs more than 10 rounds" died they have been ok.

I don't think it really matters if the statements you disagree are public, or in behind-the-scenes actions. Vote with your wallets. Do what you think is right, without being too much of an jerk about it.

Amen!

Personal opinions are just that, opinions. There are a great many people out there that I am positive I would have a clash of opinions with. But opinions are like bung holes, everyone has one and it usually stinks to someone else.

Business is business. When it comes to business I don't care what the persons opinions are provided they conduct their business professionally. When a business pushes bad product (McDonald's *cough*) then I won't do business with them. I also don't consider opinions from others about a business unless it's overwhelmingly bad, I tend to form my own opinions. If I get burned by a business (or customer) I simply, and quietly, cease to do business with them.

If someone doesn't want my business, that's fine with me, there's lots of folks out there that need work.

Personal opinions are just that, opinions. There are a great many people out there that I am positive I would have a clash of opinions with. But opinions are like bung holes, everyone has one and it usually stinks to someone else.

+1:s0155:

Being a democrat, if I let someone's opinion on a certain topic deter me from frequenting their establishment I wouldn't have many places to go and purchase firearms let alone talk about them which is why I joined the forum.

P.S. - Spengo, Bill Ruger is a national treasure!

I don't and won't shop at Cheaper than Dirt. They aren't cheaper than dirt, and they had some massive price hikes during the Obamascare. Being a capitalist market, they do have the right to charge what they want for their goods... but I saw this move as really sheisty.

Most vendors I have bought from,some I have not.I have bought from some that have not had a favorable rap and I didn't have any problems with them.I have to experience the bad rap before I get my panties in a knot.

Not everyone has a good experience with vendors for whatever reason and you probably hear only the bad acts from a few.I don't follow the same path as others,I make my own call on any given vendor.If they have what I want,I will buy it.If they screw me,so be it,that is my lesson learned, but I will not buy or buy from someone based on someone else's recommendations.The only way I can see me not buying is if they are a thief,plain and simple.

Wait I'm confused here, what is this thread about?

Initially I read OP as "do you avoid vendors who have opinions you don't like" e.g. don't buy stuff from a company that wants all guns banned.

but a lot of people seem to have read it as "do you avoid vendors based on the opinions of others" e.g. all those customer reviews of the gun room in portland that say it is "a horrible, horrible place, you should never go there, and I wish that you could rate this place with negative stars."

What spengo is getting at is the OP asked if you avoid businesses because the owner of that business holds an opinion you don't like that's not gun related. Say the owner said that he likes cats or hates dogs and you hate cats or like dogs do you then avoid doing business there.

MY BAD: I thought the original writer was asking about opinions from threads like this one.....You know like when he too one side of a phone call out of context and posted a warning about Blackwater tactical ( by the way probably one of the best outfits in salem to deal with) before finding out what he thought he heard. I feel it would do everyone some good to think before posting warnings about stores....:s0155:

to cover the "other base".no I don't.It may be your/my mistake to take it out of context.If I don't like what someone says,I don't have to agree but that doesn't mean they haven't got good deals or parts.Pretty shallow if you blackball someone if you don't like what they say.It's fine if you don't want to buy something from them but to spread the butter around because they didn't agree or you didn't like what was said,well that is immature at the very least.It's boils down to you and how you handle it within yourself.

Wait I'm confused here, what is this thread about?

Initially I read OP as "do you avoid vendors who have opinions you don't like" e.g. don't buy stuff from a company that wants all guns banned.

but a lot of people seem to have read it as "do you avoid vendors based on the opinions of others" e.g. all those customer reviews of the gun room in portland that say it is "a horrible, horrible place, you should never go there, and I wish that you could rate this place with negative stars."

You read it correctly. Other people, OTOH, didn't.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top